Wayne on the Sisters.....

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

stufarq wrote:
playboy wrote:
stufarq wrote:Isn't this whole thread starting to get a bit over-serious and personal? Perhaps it's time to close it.
Markfiend made it a little too personal.
It was getting personal long before that.
For what it's worth, if I hadn't thought that playboy was Andersja in disguise (I put two and two together and it seems I came up with about 17) I would never have been so rude. :oops:

But I apologised, playboy accepted it, let's put it behind us and all try not to make it personal (or take it personally).

Thank you.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
gallup
Road Kill

Being645 wrote:@ playboy - a book about The Sisters ... all I can imagine is nothing but a compilation of the standard myths and lies bolstered by further repetitions of what has all long been said and slandered ...
maybe you know about this book, maybe you don´t. if not, give it a try:

http://www.amazon.de/Schattenwelt-Helde ... 3854452365
Being645
Above the Chemist

gallup wrote:
Being645 wrote:@ playboy - a book about The Sisters ... all I can imagine is nothing but a compilation of the standard myths and lies bolstered by further repetitions of what has all long been said and slandered ...

To be honest, I have my own perception and that is the only thing, I'd ever
rely on, even when assessing "facts". And all I know, is what I have seen, what I have encountered. Insofar, I am sure:

The real truth is never spoken.

But it is shining through. Right here, right now. Yesterday, today, tomorrow - Body And Soul, come feel the arms around you ...
gallup
Road Kill

Being645 wrote:
gallup wrote:

rely on, even when assessing "facts". And all I know, is what I have seen, what I have encountered. Insofar, I am sure:

But it is shining through. Right here, right now. Yesterday, today, tomorrow - Body And Soul, come feel the arms around you ...
ok
robertzombie
Overbomber

lol
Being645
Above the Chemist

gallup wrote:
Being645 wrote:
gallup wrote: maybe you know about this book, maybe you don´t. if not, give it a try:

ok
:lol: ... well, ok ... :oops: ... maybe I should give it a try, indeed. Sounds interesting ... so thank you for the link ... :notworthy:
Being645
Above the Chemist

playboy wrote: As long as three of them are involved with other bands (some even a couple of bands), that tours and recording and so on, the Sisters will have little time to work hard to progress.

Andrew will not fall on the wire, cause he had climbed down to safety.
1. It doesn't take hard work to create a masterpiece, but precision. And precision can be achieved (if at all) by diversity culmulating in a common point, and brought to the point.

:twisted: ... anyway, every precise line could possibly be distracted, if one puts an effort to it, couldn't it?

2. "...climbed down to" - what :eek: :eek: ... I would laugh about this, if it were a good joke! Go climb yourself to have your hunger and desire fed, if you think that's how it works! Instead of living in the past and thinking about how it were, if others did the thing for you. They don't, and they are not your puppets. And where are you, when you needs are filled, Janine? Settled? Not for long. And I know you know.

@jost 7
I understand your dreaming ... it's what you are able to make of it. And that is lovely and it is - a lot ... :notworthy: ...
streamline
Slight Overbomber

playboy wrote:I still remember the gig at Brixton Academy 1993. Though it was loooong ago, I still remember the vibe in the hall, and the thrill when I first heard On The Wire live. And the feeling in the stomache of Doktor Avalanche.
Oh god I remember that feeling!

Same as at Wembley in 1990 - the anticipation was immense and when the first bars of First Last came over the PA I thought I had died and gone to heaven - no, really I did it was such a big part of my life.

But today they are a different band, and we are also different people.
Older!

I'll always go and see them. I love them and have done since Floodland (and there are many others who go further back - REALLY old people!!).

If I go now to a concert it is a completely different experience to when I was a teenager or in my 20s. I am a different person and will never experience the thrills or the overall experience of a gig nowadays that I did then.

Some of the older Sisters gigs really blew my mind. Not just because it was the Sisters (line up unimportant) but because of the people you go with, how you get to the gig, how much you laugh, who blows you in the stalls, it is a whole experience thing.

If I go to the see the Sisters on Sunday and they give me half of that experience they gave me when I was younger, then I will be a happy man (not expecting the blow because I'm going with my mate) but I think that the fact that it will be slightly below MY too-high expectations will be down to changes in ME and not just because the Sisters ain't quite what they used to be!

I hope this rambling makes some modicum of sense.
:oops: :oops:

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

streamline wrote:who blows you in the stalls,
:eek: :notworthy: :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Being645
Above the Chemist

DeWinter wrote:
Being645 wrote: But, hoh yeah, had it been nice to have Andrew sing all those shabby m*****n lyrics - and be the one to cope with the effects -
while Hussey could have had his heads each night ...
Am I misreading your last sentence totally, or are you implying that Hussey planned to get all the groupie blowjobs while Eldritch was onstage singing Wayne's lyrics?
Your reading does not gather the important implications, DeWinter, but basically ... yes, I do think, Wayne didn't care further
than his very own and direct personal benefit - with regard to other band members as much as regarding the fans ...

... all only fertile lifestock lured into giving away ... :lol: ... Bad Demon Overlord Wayne ... :twisted: :lol: ...

But hell, he’s not responsible for everything! There have been 25 years without Wayne…

And anyway, it's all so long ago, it's no longer true. People have changed, the world has changed ... and I think, we can
be glad that those old bands have managed to survive for such a long time, so that we can enjoy to see them at all.
playboy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Being645 wrote:
playboy wrote: As long as three of them are involved with other bands (some even a couple of bands), that tours and recording and so on, the Sisters will have little time to work hard to progress.

Andrew will not fall on the wire, cause he had climbed down to safety.
1. It doesn't take hard work to create a masterpiece, but precision. And precision can be achieved (if at all) by diversity culmulating in a common point, and brought to the point.

:twisted: ... anyway, every precise line could possibly be distracted, if one puts an effort to it, couldn't it?

2. "...climbed down to" - what :eek: :eek: ... I would laugh about this, if it were a good joke! Go climb yourself to have your hunger and desire fed, if you think that's how it works! Instead of living in the past and thinking about how it were, if others did the thing for you. They don't, and they are not your puppets. And where are you, when you needs are filled, Janine? Settled? Not for long. And I know you know.

@jost 7
I understand your dreaming ... it's what you are able to make of it. And that is lovely and it is - a lot ... :notworthy: ...
It may not take hard work to write a masterpiece. But it takes hard work to make it came out as a masterpiece.

Climbed down to safety is not meant to be a joke.
I AM NOT living in the past. I do not want them play the concerts they did. Not even sound like in the past. Just want them to as fresh and good as in the past. Those are two seperate things. And as said, the fact that they have been doing the same tour for the past I-dont-how-many-years, it seems as THEY are stuck in the past.

Finally, I will not post anything after today for a while. I am going to Sisters next week. I do not want to read about what songs are played before I go and see them. IF they, against all odds, are doing something really new this time, i want it to be a pleasant surprise at the concert.
That is what COULD change my decision concerning that this is the last Sisters concert for me.
playboy

Being645 wrote:
DeWinter wrote:
Being645 wrote: But, hoh yeah, had it been nice to have Andrew sing all those shabby m*****n lyrics - and be the one to cope with the effects -
while Hussey could have had his heads each night ...
Am I misreading your last sentence totally, or are you implying that Hussey planned to get all the groupie blowjobs while Eldritch was onstage singing Wayne's lyrics?
Your reading does not gather the important implications, DeWinter, but basically ... yes, I do think, Wayne didn't care further
than his very own and direct personal benefit - with regard to other band members as much as regarding the fans ...

... all only fertile lifestock lured into giving away ... :lol: ... Bad Demon Overlord Wayne ... :twisted: :lol: ...

But hell, he’s not responsible for everything! There have been 25 years without Wayne…

And anyway, it's all so long ago, it's no longer true. People have changed, the world has changed ... and I think, we can
be glad that those old bands have managed to survive for such a long time, so that we can enjoy to see them at all.
25 years without Wayne.
21 years without any record.
Being645
Above the Chemist

playboy wrote:
Being645 wrote:
DeWinter wrote: Am I misreading your last sentence totally, or are you implying that Hussey planned to get all the groupie blowjobs while Eldritch was onstage singing Wayne's lyrics?

25 years without Wayne.
21 years without any record.
And they can be proud of it! ... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

markfiend wrote:
stufarq wrote:
playboy wrote: Markfiend made it a little too personal.
It was getting personal long before that.
For what it's worth, if I hadn't thought that playboy was Andersja in disguise (I put two and two together and it seems I came up with about 17) I would never have been so rude. :oops:

But I apologised, playboy accepted it, let's put it behind us and all try not to make it personal (or take it personally).

Thank you.
It genuinely wasn't you two that I was thinking of. It was largely coincidence that my original post came immediately after yours, although admittedly yours probably contributed to my finally deciding to post when I did. But there had been stuff happening in this thread long before then that had made me uncomfortable. Things seem to be a bit lighter now so maybe it's over. Hopefully. If it is, it may well be because you, markfiend, have been big enough to set a good example. Good on ya for that.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

playboy wrote: But if you are old enough to remember what was written about the band you might know that there are more histories and articles written about Wayne. When Ben was in the band the focus was on Andrew and/or the band. All that changed when Wayne entered. He was a different character and it was much the personal stories that build up the magic and myth that surrounded the band after they broke up. By that time no-one knew that Sisters would come back. They were often in the press and it all was about Andrew/Wayne and what happened.
Am old enough to have lived through this era as a fan and my recollections only match yours in certain respects. Things certainly changed when Wayne joined - not least for Wayne himself. Have a look at Dead or Alive promo pics from '83 ("What I Want" era) - hard to believe this is the same guy with the hair/hat/etc who pitched up with the Sisters months later. Convincing ? Not exactly.
As for the "magic and myth", this was always a large part of the appeal of the band, which Wayne's overt rockstar behaviour threatened to ruin. However many times you post on this thread your revisionist version of the band's history that airbrushes out Gary Marx and installs Hussey as the band's prime mover, a lot of those who were around at the time simply won't buy the theory. Just as much as you won't be moved from your view that FALAA was the band's sole artistic peak. Time to agree to differ and move on ??
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

stufarq wrote:It genuinely wasn't you two that I was thinking of. It was largely coincidence that my original post came immediately after yours, although admittedly yours probably contributed to my finally deciding to post when I did. But there had been stuff happening in this thread long before then that had made me uncomfortable. Things seem to be a bit lighter now so maybe it's over. Hopefully. If it is, it may well be because you, markfiend, have been big enough to set a good example. Good on ya for that.
Thanks 8)
—Bertrand Russell
playboy

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:
playboy wrote: But if you are old enough to remember what was written about the band you might know that there are more histories and articles written about Wayne. When Ben was in the band the focus was on Andrew and/or the band. All that changed when Wayne entered. He was a different character and it was much the personal stories that build up the magic and myth that surrounded the band after they broke up. By that time no-one knew that Sisters would come back. They were often in the press and it all was about Andrew/Wayne and what happened.
Am old enough to have lived through this era as a fan and my recollections only match yours in certain respects. Things certainly changed when Wayne joined - not least for Wayne himself. Have a look at Dead or Alive promo pics from '83 ("What I Want" era) - hard to believe this is the same guy with the hair/hat/etc who pitched up with the Sisters months later. Convincing ? Not exactly.
As for the "magic and myth", this was always a large part of the appeal of the band, which Wayne's overt rockstar behaviour threatened to ruin. However many times you post on this thread your revisionist version of the band's history that airbrushes out Gary Marx and installs Hussey as the band's prime mover, a lot of those who were around at the time simply won't buy the theory. Just as much as you won't be moved from your view that FALAA was the band's sole artistic peak. Time to agree to differ and move on ??
I agree at large. But remember what happened after the split. The battle between Andrew and Wayne, often covered in the press, more than the actual band/music/records and they no gigs were played. At this time, before the net and so on, of course, every single line written were important for any band to survive inbetween tours and records, if they were not a very big band, and by that time Sisters weren´t. I saw them a month before the split, and they played in front of 200 persons.
Than came the Sisterhood (later m*****n) and Andrews record to stop Wayne, Gift. Had not Wayne started Sisterhood, Gift would most likely not have been made.
And the truth is that this things helped Andrew and Wayne in their continuing carreer.
This is what have been trying to tell. I am talking about music, nor the persons per se. I am talking about attention in the press. A very, very important thing. They were getting cult-status after this.
Being645
Above the Chemist

playboy wrote: Than came the Sisterhood (later m*****n) and Andrews record to stop Wayne, Gift. Had not Wayne started Sisterhood, Gift would most likely not have been made.
And the truth is that this things helped Andrew and Wayne in their continuing carreer.
This is what have been trying to tell. I am talking about music, nor the persons per se. I am talking about attention in the press. A very, very important thing. They were getting cult-status after this.
The Sister had cult-status before ... with FALAA. And what came then was a nightmare which has cost many more people, who were not directly involved a hell of a lot as well. Not nowadays, of course ... or should I say "maybe" ... :( ...

And yes, this is a very, very important thing ... though more important is, that it is overcome! Attention in the press, talking only about the music ... what a chimeara! What is the press for if not for people to read it and for people to assess and possibly make them take direction? ... And independent press - where in music business or where in the world? Helped continuing their careers? ... At what cost? ... It took 25 years to have the press only imagine there could be a different view of The Sisters while for m*****n, it's of course always been fine: they wanted to be seen as nothing but a goth band ... and now, there are again those trying to reverse that little progress ... cool, man. And thanks. I understand, it was important, yes, very ... but honestly, I can't express how incredible I find it ... and ... but hell, let's stop this idiocy now and forget it.
playboy

Being645 wrote:
playboy wrote: Than came the Sisterhood (later m*****n) and Andrews record to stop Wayne, Gift. Had not Wayne started Sisterhood, Gift would most likely not have been made.
The Sister had cult-status before ... with FALAA. And what came then was a nightmare which has cost many more people, who were not directly involved a hell of a lot as well. Not nowadays, of course ... or should I say "maybe" ... :( ...

And yes, this is a very, very important thing ... though more important is, that it is overcome! Attention in the press, talking only about the music ... what a chimeara! What is the press for if not for people to read it and for people to assess and possibly make them take direction? ... And independent press - where in music business or where in the world? Helped continuing their careers? ... At what cost? ... It took 25 years to have the press only imagine there could be a different view of The Sisters while for m*****n, it's of course always been fine: they wanted to be seen as nothing but a goth band ... and now, there are again those trying to reverse that little progress ... cool, man. And thanks. I understand, it was important, yes, very ... but honestly, I can't express how incredible I find it ... and ... but hell, let's stop this idiocy now and forget it.
I guess it differs from country to country.
In Sweden they were getting attention trough First And Last And Always (the album with That Guitarist), and it was voted the album of the year. No-one knew about the before, which the gig at the Electric Garden in Stockholm 1993 shows. Up till recently it has not been sure that they were in Sweden, no-one recalls, no-one noticed them...
I cannot speak for the rest of Europe, but at least in Sweden, what made them big here, was largely thanks to first that FALAA was well taken and then all that was written about them after the split, the fight between Wayne and Andrew, the video from Royal Albert Hall was very important for them in Sweden. They grew mythically because of the fact that they didn´t exist anymore.
This was not the case in all countries, of course. The didn´t get attention in Denmark, Norway or Finland. The only country of those they visited was Norway in 1985 but that gig has been as unknown as the Electric Garden gig cause no-one knew who they were in Oslo.
Being645
Above the Chemist

playboy wrote:
Being645 wrote:

In Sweden they were getting attention trough First And Last And Always (the album with That Guitarist), and it was voted the album of the year. No-one knew about the before, which the gig at the Electric Garden in Stockholm 1993 shows. Up till recently it has not been sure that they were in Sweden, no-one recalls, no-one noticed them...
I cannot speak for the rest of Europe, but at least in Sweden, what made them big here, was largely thanks to first that FALAA was well taken and then all that was written about them after the split, the fight between Wayne and Andrew, the video from Royal Albert Hall was very important for them in Sweden. They grew mythically because of the fact that they didn´t exist anymore.
This was not the case in all countries, of course. The didn´t get attention in Denmark, Norway or Finland. The only country of those they visited was Norway in 1985 but that gig has been as unknown as the Electric Garden gig cause no-one knew who they were in Oslo.
I only know Germany, and not even, I can only talk for myself. Anyway, they played This Corrosion and Vision Thing here on the radio, and of course, Temple of Love - in both versions ... never ever heard m*****n or other such bands played in "normal" radio programmes, but The Sisters were. Not FALAA, though .... maybe because great Alan Bangs had his word about that one ... I actually bought the album, not only because I loved it, but also to counteract ... :evil: :twisted: :lol: ... He had called it "Zitatpop" ... I think that was only envy, or competition. The f**ker! :evil: :lol: ...
playboy

Being645 wrote:
playboy wrote:
Being645 wrote: The Sister had cult-status before ... with FALAA. And what came then was a nightmare which has cost many more people, who were not directly involved a hell of a lot as well. Not nowadays, of course ... or should I say "maybe" ... :( ...

I only know Germany, and not even, I can only talk for myself. Anyway, they played This Corrosion and Vision Thing here on the radio, and of course, Temple of Love - in both versions ... never ever heard m*****n or other such bands played in "normal" radio programmes, but The Sisters were. Not FALAA, though .... maybe because great Alan Bangs had his word about that one ... I actually bought the album, not only because I loved it, but also to counteract ... :evil: :twisted: :lol: ... He had called it "Zitatpop" ... I think that was only envy, or competition. The f**ker! :evil: :lol: ...
Zitatpop? Sounds horrible....
The radio here in Sweden has very rarely played Sisters or m*****n, they interviewed them before the gig in Göteborg 1985. I was at that gig, it took place on Andrews birthday and he got really drunk..... I will tell the story later....
Other than that they have not been played much, cannot remember having heard them at all...
They have been interviewed on Swedish television, it was 1998 when they played at Arvika Festival. Could be the only time they have been on Swedish Televison....
However, both Sisters and m*****n has appeared a lot in the press. If the Sisters last time here, 209, was covered in the press I am not sure about, I remember there was a few articles when they played here 2006, all (or most) of them thought it was crap, they couldn´t hear what songs were played and they couldn´t see them, they overused the fog a little that time.... I saw them in Malmö that year. It was ridicolous..... There are pics from that gig on the net, go check them out...

Have a nice day, Sabine :kiss: :kiss:
playboy

Being645 wrote:
playboy wrote:
Being645 wrote: The Sister had cult-status before ... with FALAA. And what came then was a nightmare which has cost many more people, who were not directly involved a hell of a lot as well. Not nowadays, of course ... or should I say "maybe" ... :( ...

Zitatpop? Sounds horrible....
The radio here in Sweden has very rarely played Sisters or m*****n, they interviewed them before the gig in Göteborg 1985. I was at that gig, it took place on Andrews birthday and he got really drunk..... I will tell the story later....
Other than that they have not been played much, cannot remember having heard them at all...
They have been interviewed on Swedish television, it was 1998 when they played at Arvika Festival. Could be the only time they have been on Swedish Televison....
However, both Sisters and m*****n has appeared a lot in the press. If the Sisters last time here, 209, was covered in the press I am not sure about, I remember there was a few articles when they played here 2006, all (or most) of them thought it was crap, they couldn´t hear what songs were played and they couldn´t see them, they overused the fog a little that time.... I saw them in Malmö that year. It was ridicolous..... There are pics from that gig on the net, go check them out...

Being645
Above the Chemist

playboy wrote: Zitatpop? Sounds horrible....
It was just completely ignorant, but Bangs will know what for ... as he always knew ... :urff: :evil: :lol:
playboy wrote: The radio here in Sweden has very rarely played Sisters or m*****n, they interviewed them before the gig in Göteborg 1985. I was at that gig, it took place on Andrews birthday and he got really drunk..... I will tell the story later....

Oh yes, radio interviews ... Bremen 1992 ... and lots of appearances on German TV ... even with FALAA ... anyway, I've been talking about the 90ies ... nowadys you can, of course, hear any music you like on the radio ... well, more or less ... and even if not, who needs radio when the internet is far more diverse and even far more reliable ...

Yeah, have a nice evening as well ... I'm almost bursting with exitement ... :urff: :lol: ...
Drsisters
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

they was on telly before 1998 as well.. Andrew got interviewed by the Swedish channel Z tv around the release of A Slight Case Of Overbombing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfs_EAUMc7c
Andrew Eldritch Dour Festival 1997: Yeah, We take any request... As much as we ever do.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Drsisters wrote:they was on telly before 1998 as well.. Andrew got interviewed by the Swedish channel Z tv around the release of A Slight Case Of Overbombing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfs_EAUMc7c
Yeah, that Swedish Z-TV interview is one of my favourites ... but I found it only around 2008 ... :lol: ...