The reason why the sisters don't put out records...

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Elystan
Amphetamine Filth

Is because if they did, they would be played in goth clubs everywhere.

Discuss.
Jim
Slight Overbomber

I'd say no for many reasons.

One of which is that they'd probably not get played in goth clubs. It's all tekkno tekkno with the gothsicles these days isn't it?
"You do realize you're talking to a man with a human head in his hands who has every intention of using it to beat these people to death?"
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

it's not about G-word issue- if it was that, then he wouldn't play at goth music festivals (M'Era Luna Festival x3, Doomsday Festival, Amphi fest. next year).
Elystan
Amphetamine Filth

Jim wrote:I'd say no for many reasons.

One of which is that they'd probably not get played in goth clubs. It's all tekkno tekkno with the gothsicles these days isn't it?
In my experience it's this wierd , badly juxtaposed chimera where you get 1 song each by the sisters/the banshees/joy division/bauhaus every night (and probably feel like they're doing you a favour by throwing in some type o) followed several hours of assorted combichrist mishmash.
playboy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Elystan wrote:Is because if they did, they would be played in goth clubs everywhere.

Discuss.
.... is because they don´t exist anymore.
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Husek

Elystan wrote:Is because if they did, they would be played in goth clubs everywhere.

Discuss.
>Implying that still exist goth clubs
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

playboy wrote:

Discuss.
.... is because they don´t exist anymore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

someone had to take the bait

edit - gah! i try to be a smartarse for once and i can't even get the url to work properly! :oops: :lol:
Bertran De Born
Amphetamine Filth

tha made me laugh a lot; thanks Sita :notworthy: :notworthy:
mh
Above the Chemist

Putting out records? What a novel concept.

After all these years I've finally settled on the opinion that the band's (and particularly Von's) stance on this one is actually quite correct. Much as it would be awesome to hear shiny sparkly clean and clear versions of Summer, C&B, etc, there is no payback on their investment. A record would be pirated in a jiffy, the major chain stores would stock it grudgingly at best, most probably not at all (if it's not Sting's Greatest Hits or the latest X Factor winner they just don't want to know) so availability would be hard to come by (of course us committed lunatics would probably buy at least 5 copies each, but the casual punter is the one I'm talking about here), the fans would end up being the ones shafted with crappy MP3s, the cost of pressing, distribution, promotion, etc would never be recouped, and the band would lose quite a lot of money; and that's really losing money, not the capitalist's redefintion of "lose money" (i.e. not getting extra money that you didn't have to begin with).
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

mh wrote:Putting out records? What a novel concept.

After all these years I've finally settled on the opinion that the band's (and particularly Von's) stance on this one is actually quite correct. Much as it would be awesome to hear shiny sparkly clean and clear versions of Summer, C&B, etc, there is no payback on their investment. A record would be pirated in a jiffy, the major chain stores would stock it grudgingly at best, most probably not at all (if it's not Sting's Greatest Hits or the latest X Factor winner they just don't want to know) so availability would be hard to come by (of course us committed lunatics would probably buy at least 5 copies each, but the casual punter is the one I'm talking about here), the fans would end up being the ones shafted with crappy MP3s, the cost of pressing, distribution, promotion, etc would never be recouped, and the band would lose quite a lot of money; and that's really losing money, not the capitalist's redefintion of "lose money" (i.e. not getting extra money that you didn't have to begin with).
And people would say they lost it with F&L&A.
The Chancer Corporation
playboy

I wonder how many the would sell if a new cd was available at the gigs....
Could be enough to finance it.
Or they could even raise the ticket cost with £ 10 and give away a cd for free. With such hardcore fans and the fact that the audeince would a brand new cd, the first in over 20 years, would guarantee a sell out.
moses

Surely if that was the case then no new young bands would enter into our realm and that would be the end of that. The Eureka Machines release and sell records as do many many other bands who don't have the 'clout' of The Sisters so I don't see how your statement holds true in any way. I think Eldritch is scared to release anything new in case he totally destroys any respect he still commands. Not only are record companies unnecessary in this age but professional studios are too. He makes a good living from merchandise (which costs a lot more to produce) and a cd release would be a wanted piece of merchandise rather than another t-shirt.
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

here we go again.
but i'm agree with moses
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Eureka machines recorded everything in their mate's studio on a shoe string budget. Their relative obscurity and the genre in which they operate permits that. The Sisters would be judged far more critically (by us, by casual listeners, and by the press) for releasing something that sounded like it had been done on the cheap.

Also, it's not just about recording. It's about promotion. And The Sisters would demand A LOT, which would be prohibitively expensive and time consuming without the clout of a decent sized label.

A bedroom album spat out and sold through word of mouth like the Violets' forthcoming one wouldn't be acceptable, in our minds or in Andrew's.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Bartek wrote:here we go again.
but i'm agree with moses
Aye :lol: :oops:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Is because if they did, they would be played in goth clubs everywhere.
Assuming Goth clubs play anything new.
moses

Quiff Boy wrote:Eureka machines recorded everything in their mate's studio on a shoe string budget. Their relative obscurity and the genre in which they operate permits that. The Sisters would be judged far more critically (by us, by casual listeners, and by the press) for releasing something that sounded like it had been done on the cheap.

Also, it's not just about recording. It's about promotion. And The Sisters would demand A LOT, which would be prohibitively expensive and time consuming without the clout of a decent sized label.

A bedroom album spat out and sold through word of mouth like the Violets' forthcoming one wouldn't be acceptable, in our minds or in Andrew's.
The Sisters play all over the world (The Violets don't), surely these gigs are enough promotion. It's not 90's anymore and I'm sure they could record an album in a bedroom that has better production than FALAA. After such a long hiatus from releasing records it's about starting again in their case.
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
playboy

Quiff Boy wrote:Eureka machines recorded everything in their mate's studio on a shoe string budget. Their relative obscurity and the genre in which they operate permits that. The Sisters would be judged far more critically (by us, by casual listeners, and by the press) for releasing something that sounded like it had been done on the cheap.

So, in our minds, we would chose not to hear anything new from Sisters?
Considering that some is going nuts over a bad live recording on a new song, I´d say that I am not sure that is the case.
The press would write Sisters down anyway. So to make an expensive recording for the press is probably the last thing Andrew would dream of.

Besides, I think that soundwise neither we or the press could tell the different between a megasized, expensive studio and a cheaper one. Today, you pay more for the atmosphere, facilities and so on, more than anything else.
theparadox2010
Amphetamine Filth

The Violets don't play worldwide yet, mostly because the cost of getting Tom over the pond, Tom lives in the United States in America, but I'm sure if the album needs the support via tours, they would. But they have played Europe.
Oh, and maybe they don't want to.
And, the pledge thingy is running slowly because of a few factors, but they have reached their asked total, and we will get an album.
Merch does not cost as much as people tend to think, if you are selling 400+ shirts per gig, thats a big order before a tour, and, the bigger the order, the more the discount on the product being made.
I really would like a new sisters album, but, what with all involved, like getting Adams and Mikes (and maybe Chris Sheenans) permission, getting the clout to put it out with some power, and making sure that its promoted the correct way, I think I might be in for a long wait.
Go figure.
we're better than the birthday party, but not as good as motorhead, that makes us pretty damn good!!!!
Being645
Above the Chemist

Discuss.
Nonsense, they' ve played plenty club mixes during the tour... :lol: ...

So no. Fact is, however, they have not yet written enough new songs ... ;D ... but they will .... ;D ;D ;D ...
Husek

Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Bartek wrote:here we go again.
but i'm agree with moses
:notworthy:
I'm assuming that this is the quadruple CD boxed set we're talking about -the studio versions of the unrecorded songs played live over the past eighteen years, the covers album, the live CD, and of course the one containing all the new songs that the band are "always writing".
Given :von: 's legendary studio perfectionism, if they start recording tomorrow it should be ready for the 50th anniversary tour.
million voices
Slight Overbomber

If the Sisters were to churn out some bedroom recorded CD then it would sell well enough at the Gigs and on-line. There are certainly enough Sisters fans worldwide who would want to have their own copy for it to make a profit.

But I think it's a question of legacy. Eldo wants to be remembered for the superbly crafted masterpieces of the past, not some home sudioed attempt of the future

And whilst the never ending greatest hits tour continues to bring in the dosh what has he got to give a f**k about.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Paulito
Road Kill

Reznor managed to knock out an online album for nothing....and he's surely as much of a perfectionist as Von. Mind you, he's more engaging with his fanbase too. Still sounds more to me like excuses rather than reasons.