kindle question

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
culprit
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Oh collective of cloaked companions, i seek your knowledge.

I have bought a kindle (£89 in all good stores) for my first born.

Like apple before them, it appears amazon want me only to purchase from them with regard to the obtaining of product.
Are there alternatives to this, or is it better to buy direct from amazon?

I have sought answers from Mr.Google but all I get are references to other previous kindles, old articles or amazon links.

Any advice gets a nice early present - a Christmas kiss from a grateful Geordie :kiss:
...mmmmmmmmmMMMMMM!....
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i'm pretty sure you can side-load non-drm ebooks in the .mobi format, but i'm not sure how :|

does your kindle have it's own email address? i know someone with the original 3g kindle and he could email books to his kindle's address...

i have an ipad with the kindle app and i use a piece of software (which might be mac only) called calibre tom convert books into mobi format

http://calibre-ebook.com/

and them something called iexporer to side-load the books into the kindle app's "ebooks" folder

http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/

there might be a similar combo of software you could use? :|
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

fiendy might know actually. i think he's got a kindle...?
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Yeah you can download books in the .mobi format from sites such as http://www.gutenberg.org/ which has thousands of out-of-copyright books for free. You can just transfer them onto the kindle via the USB cable.

Also, you can email all sorts of files to either the 3G or the wifi-only versions (See here) and they get converted and picked up next time you sync the kindle. (PDF files work transferred directly in on the USB cable too).

When it comes to actually buying books I haven't strayed beyond Amazon as yet. But I've got loads of free stuff from project Gutenberg and a ton of PDFs (mostly origami stuff :lol:) on there too.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
culprit
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

cheers for the info... looked into project G, looks interesting.
"I've been helped!"
...mmmmmmmmmMMMMMM!....
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The plain-text .txt versions work on Kindle as well as the .mobi versions by the way.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell