Lucretia's bassline

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
demolitionsisters
Road Kill

Does anyone know if Lucretia's bassline was played on synth or real bass?
I'm asking because it sounds so machine-like and then in the same time so lively and kick-ass and man-made which to me is sort of one of the strong points of Floodland as far as production goes, you know machines being programmed to sound as if played by real people.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i'd always assumed it was a real bass in ths studio playing the riff a few times, and then the most dead-on-the-beat accurate machine-like version of the riff was sampled and looped for the duration of the entire song...
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Real bass, deadly, machine-kind precise. Bass and drum beat made from this sing great for power walk or fast march when you hurry.
Aazhyd
Amphetamine Filth

The bass on the single version differs greatly from the album version. I always liked the single version better, since the bass is heavier.
Only the Americans could have built a place like this in the middle of a jungle.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

But if it's real, we'd have to contemplate the possibility that Pat really did lift up her bass once in a while! :eek:
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
demolitionsisters
Road Kill

stufarq wrote:But if it's real, we'd have to contemplate the possibility that Pat really did lift up her bass once in a while! :eek:
Well, maybe in your wettest dreams, but then again who are we to judge you & ur pervy desires?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

demolitionsisters wrote:
stufarq wrote:But if it's real, we'd have to contemplate the possibility that Pat really did lift up her bass once in a while! :eek:
Well, maybe in your wettest dreams, but then again who are we to judge you & ur pervy desires?
excuse me, please don't let your petty disagreements spill over into other threads. we really don't care, and i don't want to read it on my forum: we've only recently stopped that sort of sh*t from other members.

thanks in advance.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
demolitionsisters
Road Kill

Quiff Boy wrote:
demolitionsisters wrote:
excuse me, please don't let your petty disagreements spill over into other threads. we really don't care, and i don't want to read it on my forum: we've only recently stopped that sort of sh*t from other members.

thanks in advance.
Just kidding, you lot are borderline serious.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Of course she did, and without her, there had not been Floodland.
Or maybe later, some day ... but it had been different. Or maybe it had never been made ... :( ...

There is no guarantee you get a hand or even only word when you need one.
And it makes a difference, if you have to take it all from yourself, from yourself,
from yourself, from yourself, from yourself, from yourself, from yourself,
from yourself, from yourself, from yourself, from yourself, especially
where you just don't have the means in a crucial moment.

@demolitionsisters

Ain't talkin' 'bout love ...glad we're in 2011 now ... :lol: ...
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
Being645
Above the Chemist

... :lol: ... so we're back to the Cygnet Committee ....
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I wouldn't have minded her love machine lumbering through my desolation rows

Extract from "Carry On Bowie" as yet to find a backer surprisingly
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

million voices wrote:I wouldn't have minded her love machine lumbering through my desolation rows
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Husek wrote: Image
:lol: :notworthy: :lol:

:kiss:
Sita

I don't know the single version unfortunately - but anyway, whenever I see Patricia Morrison on one of those TV appearances, I find myself thinking that her bass playing looks too painfully uncomfortable to be of much use in a "serious" situation.
But I don't mean to diminuish her contribution to the Sisters - she was a very glamorous sidekick to Eldritch, which is just as legitimate a contribution to a band, like playing an instrument.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Sita wrote:I don't know the single version unfortunately - but anyway, whenever I see Patricia Morrison on one of those TV appearances, I find myself thinking that her bass playing looks too painfully uncomfortable to be of much use in a "serious" situation.
But I don't mean to diminuish her contribution to the Sisters - she was a very glamorous sidekick to Eldritch, which is just as legitimate a contribution to a band, like playing an instrument.
:lol: ... imagine all the pictures and vids from the Floodland era without her ... only Von and ... whatever ... :lol: ...

*well, ok, I do love Lonesome Cowboys ... but that's quite another desert ... :innocent: ...
Sita

Yeah, she definitely added to his hotness. Just look at the MTV interview with Pip Dann, where Eldritch sits next to Andreas Bruhn. Makes me want to adopt Eldritch and feed him, but not... ahem, cough... you know what I mean :wink:
Being645
Above the Chemist

Sita wrote:Yeah, she definitely added to his hotness. Just look at the MTV interview with Pip Dann, where Eldritch sits next to Andreas Bruhn. Makes me want to adopt Eldritch and feed him, but not... ahem, cough... you know what I mean :wink:
... :lol: ... that's because you've never read UTR properly ... :lol: ... on the other hand, reading it didn't make every thing easier, either ... :lol: ...
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Quiff Boy wrote:
demolitionsisters wrote:

thanks in advance.
I haven't the faintest idea what either of you are talking about or even whether you're serious or joking.

EDIT: Ah, I think I've seen the thread you're talking about now.
Aazhyd
Amphetamine Filth

Sita wrote:I don't know the single version unfortunately
Slight Case of Overbombing has the 12" version, which uses the same bass as the 7", if I recall correctly.
Only the Americans could have built a place like this in the middle of a jungle.
Sita

I see! Thanks, Aazhyd :D
Pista
Cureboi

What gets on my wick is the fact it's practically inaudible in live renditions now.
That bass sound is superb & yet it has been replaced by some sort of rumbling nothingness.

:|
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Above the Chemist

Pista wrote:What gets on my wick is the fact it's practically inaudible in live renditions now.
That bass sound is superb & yet it has been replaced by some sort of rumbling nothingness.

:|
Oh, let me tell you that during the latest gigs I've noted - with some astonishment - that it is there! ... :eek: :lol: ...

Nice and warm ... ;D ... seemed to me they have taken some effort as to this as well ... :notworthy: :notworthy: ...

Whether one can hear it in the recordings, I don't know ...
still keeping the pleasure for when I got time to listen to them leaned back in some peaceful nothingness ...
Pista
Cureboi

Are you sure.
I was at the Budapest gigs & it was inaudible.
The amazing Gothenburg recording doesn't seem to feature it either.

It's gawn I tell yer.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
FatTimBob
Road Kill

Husek wrote:

She didn't seem to have any problems playing bass for The Damned :innocent: