Untitled Floodland-era Instrumental

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

Can anybody tell me anything about this instrumental piece? I'd never heard of it before. Any chance there's more like it knocking around?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq0wd4Lk354
People do so like to help you keep your feet on the ground
circle
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

It's part of the Floodland Demos, and the only one that wasn't properly turned into a proper song on that album, but parts of it were used for I Was Wrong from Vision Thing.
darkcircleroom4.blogspot.com
radiojamaica
Overbomber

For me it's like the best thing they ever did. Really, I think it's just ace!
It was on the Acoustics from the Beehive bootleg cd that my brother bought in the early nineties and I've always had a soft spot for it...
It's also on the Palazograssi bootleg LP Kill The Lights.
in dub we trust
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

circle wrote:It's part of the Floodland Demos, and the only one that wasn't properly turned into a proper song on that album, but parts of it were used for I Was Wrong from Vision Thing.
I think it was a wise decision not to make a floodlang soung out of it since this demo sounds good but somewhat more related to the era before floodland so it wouldn't really fit in. TBH I can't imagine that this demo has been produced close to the timespan :von: arranged the floodland demos - maybe it's just some older stuff he did out of the album-contest.
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

DocSommer wrote:
circle wrote:It's part of the Floodland Demos, and the only one that wasn't properly turned into a proper song on that album, but parts of it were used for I Was Wrong from Vision Thing.
I think it was a wise decision not to make a floodlang soung out of it since this demo sounds good but somewhat more related to the era before floodland so it wouldn't really fit in. TBH I can't imagine that this demo has been produced close to the timespan :von: arranged the floodland demos - maybe it's just some older stuff he did out of the album-contest.
Thanks guys - this is brand new information to me. This track's the closest thing I'll get to experiencing a genuinely new Sistrack since Arms -and it's great to boot! Nectar of the gods.. sonic gold dust... Sang Graal. I guess what I'm saying is I really dig this instrumental. Reminds me of Greensleeves a little. That shouldn't be a good thing, but it is.
Untitled
Road Kill

I know this is not the common opinion, but I always wondered if this untitled track wasn't a proto-1959 that was subsequently rewriten, reworked, slowed down and turned into piano ; there are huge differences between those tracks, but I find that in some way they share the same "mood".
bearskin
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I've always assumed it was an early version 'I Was Wrong".
Being645
Above the Chemist

Me too, but now, that Untitled has said it ... yes ... true ... it is the same mood in a way ...

Maybe it's the basic first playing around for both of these songs ...

So from here: Well observed, Untitled ! ... ;D :notworthy: ...
Untitled
Road Kill

Being645 wrote:Maybe it's the basic first playing around for both of these songs ...
I agree with that. For me, the "verse-part" of this track sounds rather 1959-oriented and the "chorus-part" is more Is Was Wrong-like.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

bearskin wrote:I've always assumed it was an early version 'I Was Wrong".
I read that before somewhere. UTR?
"as we walk on the floodland"
Bertran De Born
Amphetamine Filth

Maybe I should stick my foot in my mouth or elsewhere, but isn't this a perfect example of why some tracks deserve to get unrelased ?
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Good that you wrote that, i thought that i was only one here who have same opinion.
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Bertran De Born wrote:Maybe I should stick my foot in my mouth or elsewhere, but isn't this a perfect example of why some tracks deserve to get unrelased ?
I think that's hard to tell since a demo is just one of the first steps before it comes to the final recording. Just compare the early TC demo with the final release.
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

DocSommer wrote:
Bertran De Born wrote:Maybe I should stick my foot in my mouth or elsewhere, but isn't this a perfect example of why some tracks deserve to get unrelased ?
I think that's hard to tell since a demo is just one of the first steps before it comes to the final recording. Just compare the early TC demo with the final release.
Doesn't take much imagine to think of what some decent production could do here, along with vocals - it'd kick ass.
mh
Above the Chemist

Not sure it needs vocals, I think it's quite beautiful as it is.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

mh wrote:Not sure it needs vocals, I think it's quite beautiful as it is.
What he said! :notworthy: ;D
in dub we trust
damagedone

i can't lie,i don't like it.I know it's just a demo so is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDoREVuFDOM but sounds great.

I guess there might be more"forgotten"demos somewhere.
It's always good to hear something "new",though.
Keep Music Evil
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

damagedone wrote:i can't lie,i don't like it.
Always felt the same way about Driven Like The Snow, TBH. Different strokes.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

damagedone wrote:i can't lie,i don't like it.I know it's just a demo so is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDoREVuFDOM but sounds great.

I guess there might be more"forgotten"demos somewhere.
It's always good to hear something "new",though.
I too like Driver and also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4sYwLeRbOs allegedly from the same session in September '82. A shame they have never had an official release as extra tracks on SGWBM for example.
mh
Above the Chemist

Driver is pish.

Good Things on the other hand is the criminally unreleased Sisters gem numero uno. I prefer the slower demo version but any of them will do.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

mh wrote:Driver is pish.

Good Things on the other hand is the criminally unreleased Sisters gem numero uno. I prefer the slower demo version but any of them will do.
Whilst I'd agree that Driver and Burn It Down (sufficiently different from Burn to be considered a separate track, IMHO) are inferior to Good Things, at least the latter (and of course Jolene) were well known to fans in fairly polished versions at the time thanks to the much taped/bootlegged BBC radio sessions.
Untitled
Road Kill

Machine Regime wrote:
damagedone wrote:i can't lie,i don't like it.
Always felt the same way about Driven Like The Snow, TBH. Different strokes.
Those considerations bring another brilliant theory : since we all know that "Driven Like The Snow" is "Nine While Nine" part 2, we can assume that the "Untitled" Floodland demo track is actually "Wide Receiver" part 2, so we can now name it "Wide Receiver (version)" ;D
Heartless
Amphetamine Filth

The drums on that demo are totally Rain From Heaven.
No shade of anything can make a good summer over here.
mh
Above the Chemist

Untitled wrote:we can assume that the "Untitled" Floodland demo track is actually "Wide Receiver" part 2, so we can now name it "Wide Receiver (version)" ;D
I don't see the musical similarity, but in terms of it being an unreleased Von guitar symphony that opinion is divided on, you're bang on.
centurionofprix

The production on this one sounds different from the other Floodland demos, and to me the music itself seems to differ from the general style of Eldritch compositions (the ones we get to hear, anyway). It's more flowery. But maybe that's why it was left out from Floodland.

I wonder if this was written by Eldritch, or maybe something Hussey did for Left On m*****n And Revenge? (though I guess then it would be known as a m*****n song now, like others from that period)

Ps. Come to think of it, the song seems the most akin to Eldritch's style on Torch. Especially the bass.