I'm getting a Mac (I think)

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

I should maybe have confined this to the geek anvil but I though it might get missed there :lol:

I’m looking for a 2010 mac mini for home entertainment, and have managed to track one from what looks to be a reputable and knowledgeable trader. In short, I need it for:

· Viewing movies (DVDs & online sources) via HDMI through a 42� TV and via 3.5mm jack to an analogue amp
· Online use: Youtube, Spotify, facebook etc.
· Downloading video / audio files & copying them onto DVD/CD (legally of course!)
· Converting files from flac, zip, rar etc.
· Storing a large quantity of video & audio files
· The Sisters – in my face – and my guests’ faces - whenever I feel like it :)

As I’m new to Macs, I have a few questions for those who know.

This seller offers to partition the drive to accommodate Mac and Windows OS, with a ‘drag & drop’ files between partitions option. Sounds ideal, but I imagine this will swallow up a lot of drive space (out of only 320Gb). Besides that, is such a set-up likely to be problematic?

As I plan to store a lot of files, do you think 320gb will be sufficient for file storage, especially with Windows alongside the Mac OS & all the other software? There is a 500Gb option listed in the technical spec but I think that’s just for the server version? I suppose there’s always the external drive option.

And is there any real advantage of Lion over Snow Leopard? I have a choice but know nothing about either, apart from Lion costs a bit extra and, in terms of animals, I prefer snow leopards to lions!

Any feedback, discussion, debate most welcome...
RIP Dale: 1994 - 2009
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

You know you want to ;D

As for storage, 320 on the Mac itself is plenty. All additional stuff you can put onto an external drive, better for back-up purposes and all that too, I'd say. I store all my movies on a network drive (with over-the-air-access via an AirPort) and if I'm getting a new Mac I consider to put my music on there as well in a centralised library. We'll see about that one.

Drag and drop between windows is definitely nice, as a starter you'll want to do some things on Windows still, but it'll be pushed towards the background sooner than you think. :wink:

The newer the Mac OS the better! Don't doubt about that!

Is James informed yet? ;D
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

As I plan to store a lot of files, do you think 320gb will be sufficient for file storage,
Never ever for a large quantity of audio and video files - you'll need at least 1TB onwards for this. Better get some kind of NAS or external USB harddrive(s) where you can store/archive data you don't always have to access to.

I use a 8TB (6TB usable because of RaidZ5) NAS at home since a year and I'm very happy with it. Thanks to GBit LAN the performance is pretty neat so it usually feels like an internal harddrive.
Pista
Cureboi

What they said.

Storage capacity will depend on the format you have the music in too.
If it's all mp3 for example you won't need a massive amount of onboard storage.
I would consider an external HDD though & use Time Machine to schedule automated backups to it. That way you can make sure you don't lose anything important.
& don't worry. Time machine is included in the & although snow leopards are prettier, Lion is a fabulous OS. :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Also, if you're dual-booting, I would suggest a smallish partition (6-10 GB) for each OS and then use the rest of the HDD as a data partition, available from both OSes.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

Thanks for the advice people, though I had to look things up before I could undrstand some of it :notworthy: And yes, James has been informed :lol: I've contacted the seller but have heard nothing back so far - I just hope nobody buys the bloody thing while I'm waiting. As for networking - nice idea but it's away beyond my capabilities, so I'd probably go with an external drive. The dual boot set-up certainly appeals but I'm a bit wary of the risk of viruses - I take it having both OSs would leave the mac (and al my files) open to possible infection via Windows and require all the usual precautions.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

I'd say only the Windows bit would be vulnerable and you'd only need to keep this safe as per normal requirements. As Macs don't have BIOSes in the traditional sense, I don't think your average virus could dig that deep. Just getting rid of the Windows partition would wash the virus away. Or is this huge disinformation on my part? :)
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

Finally got it :) A 2010 mac mini with 8Gb memory and 128Gb solid state drive. Just booted it up for the first time and eventually managed to get online with a hiccup or 2. Still no idea where everything is and am still in the process of customising it so i can actually read the display without having to shove my face in the screen...
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

take of the sunglasses 8)

congrats to the purchase
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Just saw it on FB! Enjoy!
"as we walk on the floodland"
Husek
Slight Overbomber

Congrats at your new mac.
Don't worry, in 2 weeks you 'll get used, in 3 weeks you 'll abominate any other OS and finally after a month, you 'll get so used to it, that you will start to use wrong keyboard-shortcut at regular PCs. (Alt + C , Alt + V lol)

BTW, Once you go Mac, you never comeback :lol:
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
rian
Slight Overbomber

One of my son's changed school today. At the new school, every kid gets a new MacBook. I will play with it it a bit ;D
I think someone set my soul alight
A_H
Road Kill

rian wrote:One of my sons changed school today. At the new school, every kid gets a new MacBook...
Christ. On. A. Bike.

Really? I'd heard some things about Sweden, but this really takes the biscuit...

:-)
rian
Slight Overbomber

Some things are pretty good over here, some are not! :wink:
I think someone set my soul alight
A_H
Road Kill

rian wrote:Some things are pretty good over here, some are not! :wink:
True. You can certainly keep your state-owned off licences and incredibly priced bars... :-)
abridged
Slight Overbomber

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 98617.html :innocent: Not saying Microsoft ain't evil but just saying... :wink:
The Chancer Corporation