Nothing needs to change for the Sisters of Mercy

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
zaltys7
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

stufarq wrote:
Von wrote:You want a man to dress up in a silver jumpsuit doing glam versions of rockabilly songs for his entire career and then you are surprised when he’s a bit strange?
Says the man who wore a white suit because it made him "shine like a god" and carried a silver-topped cane.
Bit contrary you are, arn't you mate :D
In the nicest possible way of course.

Paul.

EDIT: didn't mean to sound like Yoda, and certainly didn't mean to be offensive.
"We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now." - Ray Bradbury.
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:thanks for posting. This article seems to have been written by Andrew watt based on this (IMHO much more interesting) full interview http://www.heyheymymy.com.au/2012/02/19 ... -eldritch/ which he did with :von: , who seems to have been much more forthcoming with Antipodean journalists than he is with European ones. Excited about the tour ? Worried about attracting an audience ? More intelligent, less pigeonholing interviewers ? Whatever the reason, some fascinating variations on a theme have emerged in this and other interviews posted in the Reviews and Interviews section of HL.
Your questions are partly answered at the very bottom of the interview:
I’m only doing this interview with you now, because we’ve never been to your part of the world and its high time we did, and the promoter is anxious because we have not been there before and they have asked very nicely if I would do some interviews.

Very clever interviewer, other journalists should read and learn. He pulls everything out of :von: just by constantly caressing his ego. Problem for us is, :von: doesn't have much to say these days. But he sure as hell has a big ego...

Some things sound like complete bollocks;
I still write as much as I ever did but obviously an element of quality control has crept in recently and I throw a lot more away than I used to.

I mean, who is he really trying to fool? Why does he feel the need to say that?

or...

", and half our set on any given date is unreleased songs but for obvious reasons half of it has to be a selection of released songs. "

Yeah right.

But the only answer we really need is this one, I find it interesting because it really makes sense and it is something we as fans can do something about if we want to see a new product:

"I’m not afraid of releasing it, so much, but it seems like a bit of a drag to me. And the fact is the band does quite well and we don’t need to do it."

So the simple solution is, stop going to the gigs, because Andrew will do everything he can to maintain his comfortable liftestyle, including releasing stuff if that is what it takes.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

To me problem is not a fact that there is no new album but, a fact that there is no new songs played live like it used to be in 1998-2001. I mean 6 years since TSOM 4.5. is established and how many songs were written during that time, two ("Arms", "Still") ? Come on, it's not a sign of creativity, same as playing covers. (By thinking about past i think about present and that, at this point, doesn't looks colourful.)

And I'm afraid that even if group die hard fans/followers/supporters, like us will stop going to gigs, it will not make them stop playing. You probably overestimated our group- we are too small, not to mention that: 1) AE is to old to not think about His future (retirement) so i think that He saved enough money to buy cigarettes and cat food for like next 15-20 years(of course that is assumption); 2) AE is smart enough to play in place where they weren't played that much, or at all (Russia, Japan now Australia, NZ and South America) and to play festivals (Japan, Australia, Europe), so he doesn't need us at all (or that much, if You wish so). And even if They'll play the best of setlist( from released songs), they'll still be able to play 20-40 gigs every two years. Of course i know that to play there is also need to be demand but, as we see nearly 20 years since last official release demand is still high.
Last edited by Bartek on 20 Feb 2012, 11:21, edited 4 times in total.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

@Euphoria You're mostly right but :von: does seem to be enjoying the interview process at the moment and giving fairly straight answers rather than the evasive, mickey-taking third person non-answers we have got used to over the years. At the end of last week's twenty-minute (!) New Zealand radio interview, he tells the interviewer "Dude.It has been a gas and if you want to do this kind of stuff like, err, when we're not about to tour then that'd be a much better time and [with emphasis] you still can"
@Bartek Your analysis that :von: has settled happily into a pre-retirement phase over the past couple of years (where he can see the next ten years or so of doing much the same thing) seems to be correct.
Lord knows that :von: has been through enough over the past 52 and a half years - geographically unsettled childhood, two failed starts on degree courses, band and relationship break-ups, health issues, legal wranglings, more health issues - and now finally, like Candide after his many wanderings, he's decided to "cultivate his garden".
He seems to have made definitive decisions about no longer hankering after a return to academia, about no longer needing to put out studio recordings, and has found the touring strategy with two loyal and personable henchmen which, as you identified in your post, can keep him in the comfortable but not excessive lifestyle to which he has become accustomed. Unless he wakes up one morning in a mid-life crisis wondering what happened to the provocative punk of thirty years ago - highly unlikely IMHO - the current pattern will be repeated on an annual basis with minor changes until he gets fed up of touring and judges that the retirement fund is big enough to allow him to make that decision. And, arguably, the happier he gets in his current frame of mind, the likelihood of him giving away the odd studio track to his loyal subjects as a free download increases...
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:@Euphoria You're mostly right but :von: does seem to be enjoying the interview process at the moment and giving fairly straight answers rather than the evasive, mickey-taking third person non-answers we have got used to over the years. At the end of last week's twenty-minute (!) New Zealand radio interview, he tells the interviewer "Dude.It has been a gas and if you want to do this kind of stuff like, err, when we're not about to tour then that'd be a much better time and [with emphasis] you still can"
@Bartek Your analysis that :von: has settled happily into a pre-retirement phase over the past couple of years (where he can see the next ten years or so of doing much the same thing) seems to be correct.
Lord knows that :von: has been through enough over the past 52 and a half years - geographically unsettled childhood, two failed starts on degree courses, band and relationship break-ups, health issues, legal wranglings, more health issues - and now finally, like Candide after his many wanderings, he's decided to "cultivate his garden".
He seems to have made definitive decisions about no longer hankering after a return to academia, about no longer needing to put out studio recordings, and has found the touring strategy with two loyal and personable henchmen which, as you identified in your post, can keep him in the comfortable but not excessive lifestyle to which he has become accustomed. Unless he wakes up one morning in a mid-life crisis wondering what happened to the provocative punk of thirty years ago - highly unlikely IMHO - the current pattern will be repeated on an annual basis with minor changes until he gets fed up of touring and judges that the retirement fund is big enough to allow him to make that decision. And, arguably, the happier he gets in his current frame of mind, the likelihood of him giving away the odd studio track to his loyal subjects as a free download increases...
I wouldn't get your hopes up. And I'm pretty sure the only thing any of us really want to know any more is why Von is treating us like we're idiotic garbage, with his continual nasal bleating that they're continually playing new songs. Tracks made more than ten years ago are not, in any conceivable way, 'new'... and 'Still' and 'Arms' do not constitute 'always' - or even 'occasionally' - playing 'new' songs!
People do so like to help you keep your feet on the ground
sultan2075
Overbomber

Machine Regime wrote: I wouldn't get your hopes up. And I'm pretty sure the only thing any of us really want to know any more is why Von is treating us like we're idiotic garbage, with his continual nasal bleating that they're continually playing new songs. Tracks made more than ten years ago are not, in any conceivable way, 'new'... and 'Still' and 'Arms' do not constitute 'always' - or even 'occasionally' - playing 'new' songs!
I don't think the Heartland OCD brigade is the audience for these interviews. For the vast majority of the readers/hearers of said interviews--just like the vast majority of the gig attendees--these songs are new.

These interviews are designed to promote the shows to the curious. "20 years without a record and they still tour profitably playing unreleased material? That's a curiousity and I should like to see them."

I am of two minds about the whole thing. I'd love to see a record, but I don't think we will. At the same time, it's hard to be angry about it. If Von is able to make a living in a way that he doesn't feel to be morally compromising, good for him.

The whole quality-control thing seems perfectly plausible to me as well. I find that I am the same way with my own (academic) work. I write a lot more than I bother to share.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

sultan2075 wrote: The whole quality-control thing seems perfectly plausible to me as well. I find that I am the same way with my own (academic) work. I write a lot more than I bother to share.
I still think it's BS. Still and Arms would pass the quality control, unlike earlier Sisters songs like...C&B? Summer? Ribbons..? etc.

I just don't believe that, at all.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Maybe you're right. Or maybe Maximum Jack is an unreleased masterpiece that will usher in an age of perfect peace and justice.

I rather like both Still and Arms, and I think they'd probably sound quite good done up right in a studio. Not that they will be.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
lachert
Overbomber

yes we can, but we won't. fans are happy with tube's videos but we're so affraid than we can't even allow to show us on big festivals screens (or once coca cola won?). he criticize everything, couse he can do everything better of course and all we've got is some pathetic suzanne video from i don't know how many years ago, made with windows movie maker couse he's so good with computers and karaoke gigs with s**t sound. good god :eek:
if i'll be a rock star without balls to make music, i'll finish it in MacGowan or Cobain way 8)
long live rock'n'roll
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

There is more about the alleged regular recording of backing tracks on the latest interview http://themusic.com.au/sfg/interviews/2 ... s-of-mercy. If the interviewer thinks he gets a hard time here he's obviously never read any of :von: 's other Q and A interviews. Just off to check out Bassnectar...
Being645
Above the Chemist

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:There is more about the alleged regular recording of backing tracks on the latest interview http://themusic.com.au/sfg/interviews/2 ... s-of-mercy. If the interviewer thinks he gets a hard time here he's obviously never read any of :von: 's other Q and A interviews. Just off to check out Bassnectar...
Eldritch back, and with renewed and improved joking powers ... :lol: ;D ;D ;D ... :notworthy: ...
Pista
Cureboi

You have been playing new material for a while now, are there likely to be any Sisters’ releases in the future?
At this rate, probably a recorded answer to this question I should think.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Earlier today I wrote: Just off to check out Bassnectar...
Great recommendation from :von: in the latest interview. The Bassnectar guy was a big Metallica fan who played in doom metal bands before turning to DJing (and getting tarred with the Dubstep brush). Seems an interesting guy and even better he's giving away a batch of darker remixes which were too heavy for the last CD as a free download on his website http://www.bassnectar.net/news/. Think Ferry Corsten's "Rock Your Body, Rock" meets The Prodigy (any era).
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

Being645 wrote:
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:There is more about the alleged regular recording of backing tracks on the latest interview http://themusic.com.au/sfg/interviews/2 ... s-of-mercy. If the interviewer thinks he gets a hard time here he's obviously never read any of :von: 's other Q and A interviews. Just off to check out Bassnectar...
Eldritch back, and with renewed and improved joking powers ... :lol: ;D ;D ;D ... :notworthy: ...
If you say so.
People do so like to help you keep your feet on the ground
Being645
Above the Chemist

Machine Regime wrote:
Being645 wrote:
If you say so.
... inevitably heading to the next disaster ...

is that better? :lol: .... But honestly, Who the hell am I? Sorry, if I stretch your nerves anf thanks for the hint ... :wink: ...
Bertran De Born
Amphetamine Filth

I think the only reason Von gives interviews is to make sure the RSS feed of this site keeps alive!
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:
Earlier today I wrote: Just off to check out Bassnectar...
Great recommendation from :von: in the latest interview. The Bassnectar guy was a big Metallica fan who played in doom metal bands before turning to DJing (and getting tarred with the Dubstep brush). Seems an interesting guy and even better he's giving away a batch of darker remixes which were too heavy for the last CD as a free download on his website http://www.bassnectar.net/news/. Think Ferry Corsten's "Rock Your Body, Rock" meets The Prodigy (any era).
everybody should have enormous collections of dubstep. Tis the best thing ever. good intro to the genre on you tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJzfTZlEl40

the whole CD is top btw
Goths have feelings too
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

euphoria wrote:
So the simple solution is, stop going to the gigs, because Andrew will do everything he can to maintain his comfortable liftestyle, including releasing stuff if that is what it takes.
Really? In the current musical climate,exactly how much do you think Von would make from releasing a new album? From the view of a heavy metal fan,reasonably well known bands such as Iced Earth have admitted that their albums make virtually no money at all,and that they live off touring. And that is with label support and decent media coverage.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

ribbons69 wrote:
euphoria wrote:
Really? In the current musical climate,exactly how much do you think Von would make from releasing a new album? From the view of a heavy metal fan,reasonably well known bands such as Iced Earth have admitted that their albums make virtually no money at all,and that they live off touring. And that is with label support and decent media coverage.
I think he was talking about (in one of these NZ/AUS interviews) maybe releasing stuff on the net to attract interest (to get people back to the live shows), but that they were in no hurry to do that as people keep coming to the gigs.

Oh well, hypothetical isn't it...and I know very well that forum members make up 10 % of the crowd, at best (@Bartek) so it's not like I really think such a campaign would work :wink:
Being645
Above the Chemist

Bartek wrote::von: No change is sexy
No change has proven to be sexy ... and not for nothing.

You can't break, what you've been given. Otherwise, you destroy yourself.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

i hope that you're trying to be cheeky-ironical here.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Bartek wrote:i hope that you're trying to be cheeky-ironical here.
nah, she's just hatstand
Goths have feelings too
Being645
Above the Chemist

paint it black wrote:
nah, she's just hatstand
,,, ;D ... incurably braindead.

Anyway, for those who just can't wait for news from NZ, here's the link
to The Sisters' wonderful gig at Les Docks, Lausanne, CH last November ... ;D ;D ;D ...

:lol:
bangles
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Being645 wrote:
paint it black wrote:
nah, she's just hatstand
,,, ;D ... incurably braindead.

Anyway, for those who just can't wait for news from NZ, here's the link
to The Sisters' wonderful gig at Les Docks, Lausanne, CH last November ... ;D ;D ;D ...

:lol:
Fantastic - who needs a new album?!?!