How did they afford to go to the USA?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Syberberg
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:I can't remember the exact line but there's something Eldritch said (more than once IIRC) along the lines of "I must be the only person in Rock who didn't join a band to try to get laid".
The one that I always remember went something like: "When you're checking out the front rows of the crowd to try and figure out how many of them you'll be sleeping with after the show, you're there for the wrong reasons."

But, he did also say fairly early on (IIRC) one of the reasons for getting into a band was due to "an inability to click with women at parties."
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
Emerald Green
Road Kill

DOZMEISTER wrote: On the topic of stage names and signing on didnt Playdeads singer have to stop signing on when someone in his dole office recognised him from Playdeads Into the Fire video? :)
This was certainly a problem! Back in the early 90s when I had the dubious pleasure of working in New York Road/Eastgate Dole offices in Leeds I faced regular queues of musicians waiting for me to sign them on as they knew I wouldn't shop them. :innocent:

As for not being able to attend restart interviews because they were off on tour.... a similar problem for band followers as for band members I recall.
True Love Doth Pass Away
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I used to sign on at that dole office in the early 90s. I wonder if I know you?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
H. Blackrose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote: "Hussey isn't Fussey" ;)
Dear Doktor wrote:Dear Doktor, The Sisters kick. But I've heard you've had queers in the band!

I've heard you have a small penis. Stop worrying about it.

When you've stopped worrying, check out www.thesisters.org .
You know, I always thought that referred to Andreas. Surely Hussey is "equal-opportunity slut" rather than "queer"? 8)
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Oh is it? I don't know anything about Andreas's sexuality. But then I've never really been one to "worry about it" when it comes to what other people do with their genitalia. ;D

I like that, "equal-opportunity slut" :lol: and yeah you may well be right. After all, Wayne's a happily married man these days.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
sultan2075
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Oh is it? I don't know anything about Andreas's sexuality. But then I've never really been one to "worry about it" when it comes to what other people do with their genitalia. ;D

I like that, "equal-opportunity slut" :lol: and yeah you may well be right. After all, Wayne's a happily married man these days.
For some reason I thought Andreas was married with children now. I don't remember where I read that, though.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

When You Don't See Me was written about Andreas and his girlfriend, wasn't it?
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
sultan2075
Overbomber

stufarq wrote:When You Don't See Me was written about Andreas and his girlfriend, wasn't it?
I don't know if it was ever specified that it was Andreas, but it seems like a reasonable assumption.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Assumption is correct - Mr A.E. said on one interview that this lyrics is about that kind of situation.
Emerald Green
Road Kill

markfiend wrote:I used to sign on at that dole office in the early 90s. I wonder if I know you?
1990s in Leeds village - Highly probable! :D
True Love Doth Pass Away