The m*****n, The Cult & Killing Joke UK Tour

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Rumours over on the M I S S I O N site that KJ, The Mish & The Cult, are playing on a triple bill, UK arena tour later this year.
Give me one good reason
czuczu
Overbomber

Cult, m*****n and Killing Joke are playing 5 dates together, finishing at Wembley Arena on Sunday 16th September.

Tempting!
Silver_Owl
The Don

I figured this may get a bit of interest, hence the split. :wink:

The Source Of The Rumours.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
czuczu
Overbomber

:lol:
That thread is brilliantly demented!

I kind of like the idea of bands doing package tours. I don't think they've got much chance of selling out Wembley between them but that doesn't mean it won't be a decent night out.
The Motorhead, Anthrax & Hawkwind triple bill at Wembley was barely half sold-out but they curtained off the back half of the venue and a good time was had by all :)
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Would there be any point (other than the money) for :von: to join the line-up? That is, if everyone made up etc. Seems the Sisters are doing quite well without what are essentially nostalgia (if quite fun evening) events?
The Chancer Corporation
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Forgive my cynicism, but what point (other than the money) is there for :von: touring the Sisters as it is? :innocent:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
abridged
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Forgive my cynicism, but what point (other than the money) is there for :von: touring the Sisters as it is? :innocent:
Ah fair point. I walked into that one! :wink: Haven't listened to the Cult or m*****n's new(ish) stuff so am assuming that people will go for the hits so to speak. Maybe there comes a time for a band who've been around for a long time that even if new material is released it'll be the old stuff that people will demand.
The Chancer Corporation
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Truth is not cynism :wink:

I doubt that TSOM would join this particular tour - at least 2 bands (we-know-what and the cult) had some press rumbles with AE in the past.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

It's a threeway or the highway! :innocent:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
DOZMEISTER
Road Kill

Interesting running order on that advert. I would have put Killing Joke above The m*****n nowadays.
Hunslet Ramone
Amphetamine Filth

I would have put Killing Joke above the lot of them as they are the best band by miles. I will be going.
Manchester gig looks good for me.
I go to gigs, and if there is any money left, I eat
limur
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I thought this was a joke when I saw it... :eek:
...train, crashin' head long into the heartland...

Pushing Good Music #PGM www.livemusicreview.co.uk
Spiggy's hat

limur wrote:I thought this was a joke when I saw it... :eek:
It does seeem laughable that those venues have been selected. According to that thread the MEN is 21,000 capacity, NEC 16,000, Sheffield 13,500. Surely some of those are going to be half full at best & even a third full in the case of Manc.

IMO they seem like three bands with very similar audiences (I have cd's by all three & have seen all three live & I assume that many on here will have) rather than three bands each bringing a different following along. 10 out of 10 for ambition but I just don't see them making a dent on some of those capacities which will be a shame for the fans that do go. Personally I'm not a fan of arena gigs at the best of times & would imagine half empty arena gigs must be dire.

Do we have any promotors on H/L who might have an idea why three bands that probably play to 1500-2500 at their usual UK gigs, are playing such large venues?
Give me one good reason
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Will almost certainly do Sheffield *,turn up late to avoid KJ,watch the Mish and then a bit of the Cult. Had to laugh when I heard that there is a "presale" on Thursday,the very notion that there is any need to get tickets early is laughable. Wayne might have been able to fill these places twenty odd years ago,but I can imagine the attendances being somewhat embarrassing now.They would have been better off doing the Sheffield City Hall and Nottingham Rock City,those type of venues.

*Provided standing tickets are available! I'm not sitting down.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Spiggy's hat wrote:According to that thread the MEN is 21,000 capacity, NEC 16,000, Sheffield 13,500. Surely some of those are going to be half full at best & even a third full in the case of Manc.

IMO they seem like three bands with very similar audiences... <snip> ...rather than three bands each bringing a different following along.

<snip>

...why three bands that probably play to 1500-2500 at their usual UK gigs, are playing such large venues?
exactly!

very strange decision.

either of the 3 bands still can (and still does) sell out 1500-2000 capacity venues, but its ALL THE SAME PEOPLE at the gigs.

it's not like they're each bringing along 2000 of their own fans, to add together.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

To join the revolution, laugh, I've nearly bought one, but I'm afraid the MEN might be a bit of a wasteland unless it's all standing only

for those who are looking for digs, I can recommend the newly opened MEN holiday express 8)
Goths have feelings too
lachert
Overbomber

i understand that the cult is the biggest name on the bill but killing joke before the m*****n is something ridiculous :eek:
will be there for Jaz, with pleasure will watch Ian and, in the end, it's nice to have a 1 hour break between, for some beer and cigs, right? :lol:
long live rock'n'roll
Mothra

Quiff Boy wrote:
Spiggy's hat wrote:According to that thread the MEN is 21,000 capacity, NEC 16,000, Sheffield 13,500. Surely some of those are going to be half full at best & even a third full in the case of Manc.

IMO they seem like three bands with very similar audiences... <snip> ...rather than three bands each bringing a different following along.

<snip>

...why three bands that probably play to 1500-2500 at their usual UK gigs, are playing such large venues?
exactly!

very strange decision.

either of the 3 bands still can (and still does) sell out 1500-2000 capacity venues, but its ALL THE SAME PEOPLE at the gigs.

it's not like they're each bringing along 2000 of their own fans, to add together.
Someone on the Mish's board has apparently spoken to people at the Sheffield Arena and the venue already has plans to put up a black curtain that cuts the capacity by one third - presumably for shows like this that is the norm, and allows additional tickets to be sold if sales are surprisingly good (and will be the practice at all the venues the tour is stopping at). The Cult still tend to sell out their London shows at 5000 capacity venues, I guess part of the issue is that there aren't too many places that hold more than 5000 but less than 10000, so promoters are banking on a couple of thousand extra punters than normal being tempted by the overall package rather than one band in particular (I wouldn't go see the m*****n on their own again after catching the Brixton show last year, but will definitely be doing either Wembley or Birmingham on this tour and look forward to seeing them do a tight 60 minute set)
bearskin
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Cult played here in NZ a while back and got absolutely panned. I wouldn't mind seeing KJ again some time, but there's no way I'm paying good money to see the Cult with a singer who can't: sing, any more. I heard he was Meatloaf style bad.
Garbageman

Seen the Cult many times in the last several years and they are stronger than ever. Sell out all the venues over here. Saw The Mish over here on their Resseurection tour to about 100 people......they were very good but it was embarrassing.
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank
shivarising
Amphetamine Filth

Saw KJ last year and they were amazing. Just tight and crushing. They had the whole crowd dancing the whole set. Jaz doesn't move much, but his vocals are spot on and his eyes wild.

The Cult I've seen several times and are pretty solidly rocking. Their current band is killer. That was always their Achilles heel - stable lineup. Ian's voice is pure rock n roll. He might have started as a poseur, 2nd tier frontman, but longevity has been kind. Billy Duffy is one of the best rock guitarists ever.

Personally, I wouldn't put Wayne and Co anywhere near those two as far as credibility. Last time I saw them, I think '99 or 2000, they were mediocre. And before that, I saw 'em in Manchester in '95 and it was godawful. Wayne was so drunk, during one song he took off his guitar and was doing some kind of spastic jig. I wish there had been phonecams back then. It was riotous.
Spiggy's hat

The inevitable downsizing of venues, from the optimistic arenas to the more realistic O2 venues

http://www.livenation.co.uk/artist/the-cult-tickets
Give me one good reason