Calling all Fiends.

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

markfiend wrote:What I was trying to say is that (in my opinion) gods are in the same category as fairies and unicorns; they're imaginary supernatural entities. I reject all supernatural and mythical entities because I see no difference between them. Obviously a believer does see a difference between the object of their belief and the other deities which they reject... although I've never come across a description of what this difference is that I find at all convincing.
Fairy nuff.
markfiend wrote:I would contend that claiming that a question cannot be answered empirically then renders that question essentially meaningless.
I think most philosophers would disagree. And so would most normal people. What is love? What's funny? How brilliant is that? Anyone looking for an empirical answer to those very important questions should be locked in a room until they find their soul (the metaphorical one before someone starts).
markfiend wrote:IBut I think that agnosticism does give unwarranted privilege to religious questions. Why are there certain areas of enquiry that are closed off to empirical enquiry? Simply because theists have marked them off with "Holy, do not touch" signs?
It's not unanswerable because theists have said so. It's unanswerable because we don't have the means to answer it. There's no way to prove it and absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence. And theists haven't said not to touch - most of them are very much in favour of people enquiring. As I said before, it wasn't a theist who invented the term "agnosticism" - it was a self-proclaimed agnostic.
DeWinter wrote:I the "problem of evil" still tends to stump most believers of the Abrahamic religions. The only answer they tend to give is the "mysterious ways" cop-out, or re-assure us that we'll all get our just desserts in some poorly defined afterlife.
Actually, the usual answer is "free will". I'm not saying it's any more convincing, just that it's the one most religious people will give.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

sultan2075 wrote:
markfiend wrote:
sultan2075 wrote:Is "what is justice?" a meaningless question?
Why would you say that? I don't think that "what is justice" is a question that can't be answered empirically. Justice, like morality, love, and all sorts of concepts invented by humans, are surely amenable to empirical investigation.
How?
How? The same way you'd investigate any other human social construct. Sociology, psychology, anthropology...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

stufarq wrote:
markfiend wrote:I would contend that claiming that a question cannot be answered empirically then renders that question essentially meaningless.
I think most philosophers would disagree. And so would most normal people. What is love? What's funny? How brilliant is that? Anyone looking for an empirical answer to those very important questions should be locked in a room until they find their soul (the metaphorical one before someone starts).

A :lol: at the last part before I start... but ok. Love? Love is a human emotional response (or relationship) that is entirely explicable in terms of psychology, human biology, etc. Maybe you might argue that this kind of reductionism robs the human condition of its romance, but I can still think that love is an entirely wonderful and beautiful experience while arguing that it is completely (in principle) explicable. Humour is a similar human experience. Why we find one joke funny and another not is largely a matter of personal preference, but again, in principle at least, humour is amenable to empirical analysis. Why not?
stufarq wrote:
markfiend wrote:IBut I think that agnosticism does give unwarranted privilege to religious questions. Why are there certain areas of enquiry that are closed off to empirical enquiry? Simply because theists have marked them off with "Holy, do not touch" signs?
It's not unanswerable because theists have said so. It's unanswerable because we don't have the means to answer it. There's no way to prove it and absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence. And theists haven't said not to touch - most of them are very much in favour of people enquiring. As I said before, it wasn't a theist who invented the term "agnosticism" - it was a self-proclaimed agnostic.
OK I'll concede the point, I'm wrong to say that theists discourage this kind of enquiry.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what you hope to gain by citing Huxley to me. I have a great deal of respect for "Darwin's Bulldog" but that doesn't mean that I have to accept his ideas uncritically. Also, you have to remember that Victorian England was a far more overtly religious milieu than today's Britain. I think that it's arguable that even Huxley himself had an undue unconscious respect for theist belief that made it hard for him to reject god-belief outright.

As for the "absence of evidence" thing, there's a distinct lack of "evidence of absence" of Thor... but no-one seems to claim to be "agnostic" about his existence. Again, agnosticism seems to privilege claims about (some) gods above other sorts of truth-claims. I can't understand why. And if you posit that the question is unanswerable then, again, isn't it a meaningless question?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
sultan2075
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
sultan2075 wrote:
markfiend wrote: Why would you say that? I don't think that "what is justice" is a question that can't be answered empirically. Justice, like morality, love, and all sorts of concepts invented by humans, are surely amenable to empirical investigation.
How?
How? The same way you'd investigate any other human social construct. Sociology, psychology, anthropology...
I'm not sure any of those sciences can give us guidance about moral questions, at least not as they're practiced today. At best, they might be able to compile lists of differing views of justice (such a comparative list might be useful, but does not seem to me to be good in itself). How would such a science determine which view of justice is correct, if any? In other words, what good would such an approach do? How would it help us to know what is right and what is wrong?
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Well. There's the question isn't it? I think we've been here before... ;)

Are justice, morality, and so forth inherent properties of the Universe? I don't think so. Where's the justice in a tsunami? Where's the morality of Mycobacterium leprae?

I don't think it's a question of determining which view of justice, or of morality, is correct, rather determining which view of these things results in the type of society we would prefer to live in.

I've tended to take it for granted that most people want a more egalitarian society. (At least I've not come across many people that openly say that they want less equality.) Unfortunately it can be hard to persuade some people that their actions work contrary to their purported ideals.
—Bertrand Russell
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Shorter markfiend:

What is justice? 無
—Bertrand Russell
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Ooh I've just made a discovery:

Ignosticism
1. The view that a coherent definition of God must be presented before the question of the existence of god can be meaningfully discussed. Furthermore, if that definition is unfalsifiable, the ignostic takes the theological noncognitivist position that the question of the existence of God (per that definition) is meaningless.
2. The second view is synonymous with theological noncognitivism, and skips the step of first asking "What is meant by 'God'?" before proclaiming the original question "Does God exist?" as meaningless.
I find this quite compelling, being aligned fairly closely with my own views.
—Bertrand Russell
sultan2075
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Well. There's the question isn't it? I think we've been here before... ;)

Are justice, morality, and so forth inherent properties of the Universe? I don't think so. Where's the justice in a tsunami? Where's the morality of Mycobacterium leprae?

I don't think it's a question of determining which view of justice, or of morality, is correct, rather determining which view of these things results in the type of society we would prefer to live in.

I've tended to take it for granted that most people want a more egalitarian society. (At least I've not come across many people that openly say that they want less equality.) Unfortunately it can be hard to persuade some people that their actions work contrary to their purported ideals.
Who's we in this case? Alternatively put, on this account, what grounds exist for disagreeing with those who do not want "a more egalitarian society"? Are we to say "different strokes for different folks" and leave it at that?
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

markfiend wrote:Love is a human emotional response (or relationship) that is entirely explicable in terms of psychology, human biology, etc. Humour is a similar human experience. Why we find one joke funny and another not is largely a matter of personal preference, but again, in principle at least, humour is amenable to empirical analysis. Why not?
Because none of those explanations have made any real headway beyond listing some of the physiological responses. And noting that they're often the same eg the physiological description of love is pretty close to the physiological description of terror (which is perfectly understandable but not particularly helpful).
markfiend wrote:On the other hand, I'm not sure what you hope to gain by citing Huxley to me. I have a great deal of respect for "Darwin's Bulldog" but that doesn't mean that I have to accept his ideas uncritically.
I'm not saying you do. It was just part of my evidence against the notion that the term "agnostic" is a theist plot.
markfiend wrote:As for the "absence of evidence" thing, there's a distinct lack of "evidence of absence" of Thor... but no-one seems to claim to be "agnostic" about his existence.
Probably because there is no major Thor religion any more. If there was, there'd be Thor agnostics.
markfiend wrote:Again, agnosticism seems to privilege claims about (some) gods above other sorts of truth-claims. I can't understand why. And if you posit that the question is unanswerable then, again, isn't it a meaningless question?
It doesn't privilege anything. No-one's stopping you from asking the questions (although as you keep saying the question's meaningless I'm not sure why you care so much :D ), it's just a question that we're not able to answer. Doesn't stop it being interesting and no, an unanswerable question isn't meaningless. It's arguably more meaningful because human nature is inquisitive. We don't like not knowing the answer. Of course it's entirely possible that we've invented a question that didn't need to be answered in the first place but after thousands of years and uncountable religions, the human race at large seems to have decided that it's a question worth asking. As have all the people contributing to this thread otherwise why are we discussing it at all? And, of course, if some of the theists happen to be right then it's definitely not meaningless, to badly paraphrase Descartes.
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I recently changed my outlook from agnostic to atheist, for the exact reasons that markfiend (who is on fine form) outlined.

In middle-age, I see zero/none/ziltch evidence for any religion being "correct". Everything points to spooky shadows on the wall being turned into religion. Everything points to a religion as a means of power and control for those who run the religions. Everything points to a species that successfully evolved to being able to extrapolate anecdotal evidence and social wisdom into perceived facts, even when those are not real facts.

Why are we discussing it at all? In my middle age, I don't disccuss this stuff at all. its easy. There is no evidence, therfore there is nothing to discuss. Its a statement: There is no evidence of a God, therefore there is no God.

But its an interesting read to see how other people think.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

I was sloshed (but i had few months back then so my only wapons were poping, peeing or crying) i sucked cheesus (but what 9 yrs old kid doesn't want to get gifts? that is a part of tradition here in Pooland - you suck- you get gifts; i feel now like cheap whore), after that, when i was like 13, i realized that this doG hates people so i abandon religion, after that i had some deism period (sorta: doG kicked the ball but choose to not play anymore), and after that had small Dawkins fighting athetis period, and now i'm atheist who chose not to convince anyone else that there is no doG, that it's just conviniente gebilde to unite society and so; reason to let go that way is that ye kennot convince anyone else who believe, feel, ergo doesn't think in rational way, to start to think rational way. But i still love bassline of "Religion II" ;D
Last edited by Bartek on 17 Apr 2012, 08:37, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

What I don't understand is, why a person would not be allowed to 'believe' in a god?

If a person is not strong enough to believe in himself and his inner strength, I see nothing wrong with putting things into meta-perspective and try to take strength out of a fictitious idol.

For a lot of people, the main important reason to believe in a god is not because of this god, but because they know they are not alone in this belief and they take strength out of this 'community'.

I also know a lot of elderly women being rather into church-going and burning these fat plastic candles for 9 days and so on, but they also go around helping ill people, or helping out with the school bakery etcetera, just because they have this charity-thing in them as Christian people.

Can't see nothing wrong with that.

And stuff like paedophile priests, zealous fanatics bombing the s**t out of innocent people at market squares all over the world... sorry, but people don't necessarily need religions to do that sort of thing, for the latter you just need one nutjob and some others on the way to being nutjobs and the job is almost 90 percent done...

I see more wrongdoing these days with people believing in the quiet "real" deity Money than in the fake deities, I have to say.

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Elfink
Road Kill

'Belief is the death of intelligence' Robert Anton Wilson.

And maybe that's why there's such an intelligent discussion going on here....because there are only non believers contributing so far. Well I believe in a great cosmic force called, for convenience sake, God and satan. Good and Evil. I think this force is manifested clear through all forms of earthly matter from the I Ching to the tarot to the writings of the zen monks and of the Holy Elders. It's clear in the selfless kidness of strangers that can mysteriously appear at the right time and in the calculated greed of repeated Pearl Harbours. I can't believe that we are just mutated sperm, that we are the sole inhabitors of this galaxy, I can't believe that this frequency we live our daily lives in is the only frequency and I can't believe that there is no Great Cosmic Masterpiece being painted, which we are all a part of.

I believe in God.

Love on you brothers and sisters I'm off to the dojo for a fight. :twisted:
I am Road Kill
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

sultan2075 wrote:Who's we in this case? Alternatively put, on this account, what grounds exist for disagreeing with those who do not want "a more egalitarian society"? Are we to say "different strokes for different folks" and leave it at that?
In the final analysis, I think I just have to come clean and say it.

I don't know.
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:I also know a lot of elderly women being rather into church-going and burning these fat plastic candles for 9 days and so on, but they also go around helping ill people, or helping out with the school bakery etcetera, just because they have this charity-thing in them as Christian people.

Can't see nothing wrong with that.
I disagree. These people are not doing good things because they are Christians, they are doing good things because they are good people.

Good people do good things, bad people do bad things.

But what's wrong with this type of churchgoer is that they are told by their minister (as often as not) to vote against reproductive rights, against gay rights, against all sorts of progressive social policies. I'm not saying that churchgoers are sheep without any political will of their own, but the constant regressive propaganda preached from (some, not all) pulpits has to have a negative effect overall. Religions can persuade good people to do bad things.
stufarq wrote:
markfiend wrote:Love is a human emotional response (or relationship) that is entirely explicable in terms of psychology, human biology, etc. Humour is a similar human experience. Why we find one joke funny and another not is largely a matter of personal preference, but again, in principle at least, humour is amenable to empirical analysis. Why not?
Because none of those explanations have made any real headway beyond listing some of the physiological responses. And noting that they're often the same eg the physiological description of love is pretty close to the physiological description of terror (which is perfectly understandable but not particularly helpful).
That's what we've got so far. That we've not made much progress with the investigation doesn't mean that it will be ultimately fruitless.
stufarq wrote:
markfiend wrote:On the other hand, I'm not sure what you hope to gain by citing Huxley to me. I have a great deal of respect for "Darwin's Bulldog" but that doesn't mean that I have to accept his ideas uncritically.
I'm not saying you do. It was just part of my evidence against the notion that the term "agnostic" is a theist plot.
OK Fair enough. I concede the point.
stufarq wrote:
markfiend wrote:As for the "absence of evidence" thing, there's a distinct lack of "evidence of absence" of Thor... but no-one seems to claim to be "agnostic" about his existence.
Probably because there is no major Thor religion any more. If there was, there'd be Thor agnostics.
Well that's just my point isn't it? The Christian god has a lot of believers, so people claim to be agnostics about it. Thor has very few believers, so no-one bothers. Agnosticism is therefore treating different ideas differently based solely on other people's belief. There's your unwarranted privilege.
stufarq wrote:
markfiend wrote:Again, agnosticism seems to privilege claims about (some) gods above other sorts of truth-claims. I can't understand why. And if you posit that the question is unanswerable then, again, isn't it a meaningless question?
It doesn't privilege anything. No-one's stopping you from asking the questions (although as you keep saying the question's meaningless I'm not sure why you care so much :D ), it's just a question that we're not able to answer. Doesn't stop it being interesting and no, an unanswerable question isn't meaningless. It's arguably more meaningful because human nature is inquisitive. We don't like not knowing the answer.
I am not saying that the question "do gods exist" is unanswerable or meaningless. That's what (in my understanding) the agnostics are saying. I'm saying that they are wrong, it's quite easy to answer, and the answer is "almost certainly not". ;D
—Bertrand Russell
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

markfiend wrote:I don't know.
Then again, I'm not alone in my abdication on this point. "We hold these truths to be self-evident..." isn't exactly a fully-reasoned defence of the rights of man.
—Bertrand Russell
GC
Slight Overbomber

Pint anyone...?
sam1
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Gollum's Cock wrote:Pint anyone...?
yeah...I think I'll join you, we could talk about how jesus loves the sisters ..and all that jazz!
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Elfink wrote:there are only non believers contributing so far.
Which is one of the things I find fascinating: people who don't believe in a god still debate it endlessly. But, as I've said before in another thread, the ones who really fascinate (and annoy) me are the ones who insist on telling people that they shouldn't believe or that it's stupid or unscientific to. I'm all for intelligent debate but telling people that they shouldn't believe is no different to evangelists telling them that they should.
markfiend wrote:I am not saying that the question "do gods exist" is unanswerable or meaningless. That's what (in my understanding) the agnostics are saying. I'm saying that they are wrong, it's quite easy to answer, and the answer is "almost certainly not". ;D
Yes I know but you've been consistently arguing that if some people who, almost by definition, aren't really interested say that they don't think the question can be answered then this somehow equates the question being given some special "thou shalt not ask" status. Let's just recap the facts.
1. Religious people are very interested in discussing the question because it's how they get converts. So they're not giving it this mysterious special privilege.
2. Atheists are essentially disinterested except for the ones who actively want to challenge belief so either they don't care about the question or they're very interested in discussing it because it's how they get converts. Either way, none of them are giving the question this special privilege.
3. Agnostics are essentially sitting on the fence in one way or another so are either disinterested or relatively open to discussing the question so they're not giving it the special privilege either.
So who exactly is? The totalitarian authorities who have banned all religion?
markfiend wrote:Well that's just my point isn't it? The Christian god has a lot of believers, so people claim to be agnostics about it. Thor has very few believers, so no-one bothers. Agnosticism is therefore treating different ideas differently based solely on other people's belief. There's your unwarranted privilege.
Agnosticism is saying that you don't think a specific question can be answered regardless of anyone's belief. Strictly speaking, agnosticism would apply to Thor too because it's about god as a concept as well as any specific gods. I see what you mean about agnostics only applying their opinion to something that other people currently believe in but that's only because that's the question that's currently being asked. There would have been Thor agnostics when Thir worship was active. The bottom line is that the agnostic says "I don't know how we can begin to answer that question." If you came up with a solution to that part of the problem, I'm sure most agnostics would be perfectly willing to listen. But until someone does, surely they're entitled to their lack of opinion.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

stufarq wrote:Yes I know but you've been consistently arguing that if some people who, almost by definition, aren't really interested say that they don't think the question can be answered then this somehow equates the question being given some special "thou shalt not ask" status. Let's just recap the facts.
[snip]
3. Agnostics are essentially sitting on the fence in one way or another so are either disinterested or relatively open to discussing the question so they're not giving it the special privilege either.
So who exactly is? The totalitarian authorities who have banned all religion?
I think we're just quibbling over definitions. What you call "people who, almost by definition, aren't really interested" are not what I would call agnostic. They're apathetic. ;D

An agnostic makes the claim that questions of god-existence are fundamentally unknowable in a different way to other truth-claims. Treating one class of truth-claim differently to all others is privileging that class, pretty much by definition.
—Bertrand Russell
sultan2075
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
markfiend wrote:I don't know.
Then again, I'm not alone in my abdication on this point. "We hold these truths to be self-evident..." isn't exactly a fully-reasoned defence of the rights of man.
It's a pithy summary of Locke's Second Treatise, which is a "fully reasoned defence of the rights of man." Jefferson even borrows language directly from the chapter on revolution. And he does make a reasonable argument.

A claim of self-evidence isn't identical to mere assertion, nor is it identical to stating that something is obvious. Aquinas puts it nicely (Q2, A1 of the Summa) when he says that self-evidence means simply that the predicate is contained in the subject. "All bachelors are unmarried men" is a self-evident truth. Provided we know what the terms mean, it is self-evident. We do not need to seek out empirical verification.

That the interior angles of a triangle add up to 180° is also a self-evident truth. But it's a bit more complicated than the previous example: once one possesses an adequate conception of what a triangle is, then it becomes self-evident that the interior angles of the triangle must add up to 180°. Again, as Aquinas puts it: some things are self-evident in themselves, though not to us (the example he gives: incorporeal substances are not in space is self-evident in itself, though not to most of us).

Jefferson's claim is that equality and natural rights are self-evident, not that they are obvious. This is simply to say that an adequate philosophical anthropology reveals the truth of equality and rights as a) grounded in nature and b) applicable to all men (i.e., all human beings, always and everywhere. Hence both Locke and Jefferson, as well as most other important American Founders, recognized slavery as a moral evil and a violation of the natural law. The "positive good" school of pre-Civil War politicians like John C. Calhoun actually represents a radical break with the principles of the American founding because he and his followers reject the principles of the Declaration of Independence).

Jefferson (I almost wrote Locke, certainly a Freudian slip!) begins the Declaration by invoking "the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God." He is casting a wide rhetorical net. Jefferson's claim is that a consideration of nature (i.e., what things are in their natures, not a consideration of all that happens in nature)--or, more specifically, a consideration of human nature--reveals certain morally relevant truths. For the record, I don't think that the Lockean argument requires God; I don't think the Jeffersonian summary of it requires God either--but while the philosophic aspects of the Declaration might not need God, the rhetorical aspect might.

Equality, according Jefferson, is a fundamental fact: human beings are reasonable, and, because reasonable, they are equal. Again, he is cribbing this straight from Locke's Second Treatise--for a fuller discussion of equality and the limits upon it, I would refer you especially to chapters 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, and 8.

From this foundational claim of equality stem certain other claims: we have rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit (not the attainment) of happiness. The right to life stems from equality: no one human being has a natural right to take the life of any other (but see Locke, Second Treatise chapters 2 and 3: the limit on this is the law of nature. When someone violates the law of nature, then they may be punished, and depending on the violation such punishments may include death). Liberty follows from equality as well, for much the same reason--there is no natural right of anyone to rule over anyone else (see Locke, Second Treatise chapter 4 on slavery and chapter 6 on paternal power as well). Equality, incidentally, is why government must be based on consent of the governed for both Locke and Jefferson: there is no other legitimate claim to authority. The right to the pursuit of happiness is Jefferson's poetic rendering of Locke's more prosaic right to property (see Locke, Second Treatise, chapter 5). Jefferson also argues for a natural right and positive moral duty toward revolution in the case of a "long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce" the people "under absolute Despotism." This language (and more) is borrowed from Locke's Second Treatise, chapter 19.

As Jefferson and Locke both make clear, these rights are all natural, which is to say that they exist prior to the institution of any civil government, and the are discovered by rational consideration of human nature (Hobbes, incidentally, says something similar: the laws of nature are convenient articles of peace discovered by reason as it considers the best way to satisfy the passion for comfortable self-preservation; cf. Leviathan XIII.14) Legitimate government must protect these rights, and it must be based on the consent of the people. If it does not meet these two criteria, it is illegitimate. Locke and Jefferson argue for a moral standard outside the bounds of government and society by which government and society can be judged. Jefferson and Locke both have grounds for calling certain regimes "unjust," and they can both provide answers to a question such as "what is justice"? through natural rights theory.

For the record, post-Hegelian political theory rejects all of this.
--
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Thanks. I should read more Jefferson and Locke, clearly.
—Bertrand Russell
sultan2075
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Thanks. I should read more Jefferson and Locke, clearly.
Sorry about that. I am such a nerd.

I have developed a great love of Locke.
--
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

sultan2075 wrote:
markfiend wrote:Thanks. I should read more Jefferson and Locke, clearly.
Sorry about that. I am such a nerd.

I have developed a great love of Locke.
No apology necessary. I found it genuinely interesting.

I'd imagine most of Locke's and Jefferson's works will be on Project Gutenberg. Time to go browsing...
—Bertrand Russell
sultan2075
Overbomber

Thanks. I've been teaching modern philosophy this semester, so we've been doing Hobbes/Locke/Rousseau/Hegel/Nietzsche.

Locke is definitely fresh in my mind; we can chat about it at any point. I'd love to spend an entire semester just teaching Locke.

Here's a good source for the European and American classics of early modern liberalism (as well as more; I just stumbled on Mohammed Al-Ghazzali's Alchemy of Happiness): http://oll.libertyfund.org/

It can be a little cumbersome, but most works can be downloaded as PDF files if you poke around a bit.
--
GC
Slight Overbomber

sam1 wrote:
Gollum's Cock wrote:Pint anyone...?
yeah...I think I'll join you, we could talk about how jesus loves the sisters ..and all that jazz!
My comment was supposed to be a compliment to the level of discussion here...(clear I was not).