Thirty years ago...

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
JansenClone
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I am a Leeds United fan because I was very naughty in a previous life.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Auntie Beeb wrote:The thin Bauhaus-inspired design was sleeker than anything else on the market
Could be talking about :von:

:lol:
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I cut my teeth on a ZX81, but its limitations (1K RAM!) meant that the Spectrum was the first computer that you could really do anything on. Anyone who writes computer code and who is "of a certain age" will almost certainly have started on a Speccy.

:notworthy:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
circle

My first computer :D

Endless Hours spent looking at a TV screen with red/blue, yellow/blue stripes moving up, hoping to not get the dreadful TAPE LOADING ERROR.

Also endless hours with Manic Miner, Invaders, Harrier Attack, Jetpac, Cookie, Chuckie Egg, Automania, Lords of Midnight, Tapper, Formula 1, etc

QAOPM :notworthy:
darkcircleroom4.blogspot.com
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

never had a speccy.

my personal history of computing, in the following order: :lol:

zx81
dragon32
texas ti99-4a
atari 800xl
c64 for a long time
amiga 600 & then a 1200
PC - 486 dx2/66
PC - pentium
PC - pentium 3
macbook core 2 duo
macbook core i5

lots of them, some ace, some awful (dragon 32, ffs :urff: :lol:) and some incredible (my new i5 macbook)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
EvilBastard
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:I cut my teeth on a ZX81, but its limitations (1K RAM!) meant that the Spectrum was the first computer that you could really do anything on. Anyone who writes computer code and who is "of a certain age" will almost certainly have started on a Speccy.

:notworthy:
Did you not have the 16k RAM-pack for the 81? Very very dodgy connections between the pack and the computer, we had to keep it attached with blu-tac and prayer otherwise the connection would flicker and the entire thing would go t!ts up. I think we sent the computer back to Sinclair about 15 times over 3 years - finally sold it(!) and replaced it with an Amstrad 6128. With the 3.25" disk that no-one else had, and operating system that no-one else used - yeah, we really knew how to choose a computer back then! :lol:
Hank Moody
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

EvilBastard wrote:Did you not have the 16k RAM-pack for the 81?
Oh yeah. I'd forgotten about that thing. I think mine burnt out a chip after one too many "wobbles" on the dodgy connector (as you describe).

As I recall, though, someone did manage to squeeze a playable Chess into the native 1K ZX81 (in machine-code, not BASIC).

:lol: I should know, Google is infallible: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=zx81%201k%20chess
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
EvilBastard
Overbomber

I always thought that these were the epitome of cool, although having read the Wiki I'm beginning to wonder :D

We had a flight sim program for the 81 which was quite good - fondly recall long winter evenings with the book of programs that you could key in - lunar lander, butterfly. My primary school had an 81 that one of the teachers learned to program - they even bought the case that had the proper keys on it instead of the keyskin. It was ace - there was a game called Kingdoms (forerunner to SimCity or Empires), and a TT "simulator" where you had to key in a number from 1-9 for the speed that you wanted to take a particular part of the course, with tyre, road, and weather variables, and you either crashed, went through (and you'd get a time for the section), and if you went too slow then you'd get a comment about not being brave enough to be on the course! Fun times... :roll:
Hank Moody
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

A friend of mine got the QL with a microdrive built in. It was horribly prone to failure. :lol: Story of Sinclair's life really. ;D
—Bertrand Russell
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

I never had Spectrum, i started from Commodore C-64 and after that i had Amiga 500.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

I think I played Kingdoms! But I started out on an Amstrad C64 with authentic green-scope monitor, looked like something off Red October :lol:
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

We had a C64, which meant we looked down on Spectrum owners. It was a bit like whether you watched BBC or ITV.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

stufarq wrote:We had a C64, which meant we looked down on Spectrum owners. It was a bit like whether you watched BBC or ITV.
Which was which?
—Bertrand Russell
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

C64 was the way to go, it was that or the Amiga 1040 ST in my time.

Of course, I had the beige 'bowler hat' C64 with a Final Cartridge 3, the white affair looks too modern :D

By the way, still have a C64, but unfortunately enough, it IS the white affair :)

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
nowayjose

Back when programming was fun...

Never had a Spectrum but I still have some C64 assembler book lying around somewhere; today's monstrous, often badly designed frameworks 'n stuff are just so boring and tedious to use.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

It's been 25 years or so since I programmed something on the C64= but I'm sure I still remember some PEEK and POKE codes by heart... :)

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I still play some Speccy games (via an emulator). You can get almost everything ever released (but not the "ULTIMATE" titles unfortunately) from http://worldofspectrum.org/
—Bertrand Russell
JansenClone

Ultimately (see what I did there Mark?) it was the creativity that the budget limitations of the spectrum seemed to generate that won the C64 v Spectrum debate for me. Especially that one particular company. Knight Lore, he geeks out loud. Hang on, I've just lost track of what year it is... :oops:
I am a Leeds United fan because I was very naughty in a previous life.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Heh. Indeed. ;D

And agreed on all fronts.
—Bertrand Russell