The Reptile House EP vs FALAA

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
TragicSerenades
Road Kill

"The Reptile House" is Sisters finest moment,and it
warms my heart to see that there`s some others that thinks alike..For a while I thought that the majority prefered the incarnation from `84-`86 a.k.a "the merry folksmen with coats and silly hats"
bismarck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

First and Last and Always is THE BEST ALBUM EVER! Sorry for being so blunt, but this records literally changed my life.

Floodland was too much keyboard for me.

Vision Thing ... There was only one song to stand the test of time: Ribbons

Kutan
Exactly. Exactly.
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
bearskin
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

TragicSerenades wrote:"The Reptile House" is Sisters finest moment,and it
warms my heart to see that there`s some others that thinks alike..For a while I thought that the majority prefered the incarnation from `84-`86 a.k.a "the merry folksmen with coats and silly hats"
I'd have to say that my first play of the 12" vinyl that was the original Temple of Love had a pretty profound effect as well. I have patchy recollection of my teen years, but I do remember moments like that quite clearly.
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Always found The Reptile House to be the lesser of all post-DD, pre-VT output, to be honest. Always a bit miffed that Burn didn't even come close to the promise of the live versions with, proper lyrics and the like.

For years, the poor CD mix of FLAA lowered my opinion of that fine album, but the re-release fixed that. However, I think most of the first-side could have been recorded a lot better... from Marian to SKOS, its all good.

For me, it doesn't get much better than a copy of Temple of Love 12", and a hot bootleg from 84/85.
Kurbythegreat
Amphetamine Filth

Hands down , The Reptile House is the strongest work.
Always was, always will be.
"We left you sleeping. Now we are sleeping with you. Don't wake up."
sultan2075
Overbomber

nodubmanshouts wrote:
For me, it doesn't get much better than a copy of Temple of Love 12", and a hot bootleg from 84/85.
Yeah, I basically agree (especially about those 84/85 era bootlegs); but I'd add the late 90's Pearson/Varjak/Starling era as well. Sometimes--like the 2-night stand at San Francisco's Maritime Hall--when that incarnation was on, it was incredible. It is such a shame that they never released anything.

The Reptile House is very good, but I think the songs work much better live, at ear-bleed volume. It's a hard thing to capture all that tension on vinyl.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Elystan
Amphetamine Filth

Checking in for the reptile house.
gael515
Road Kill

FALAA is the best in my opinion, its their definitive "goth" album...dark as f**k, they never sounded the same way; in Floodland things got too New Wav-ish for my taste (maybe Mr E wanted to distance himself and the band from the "gothic" label?), for example Dominion I mean the voices and arrangements are too over the top, and VT was just a kind of "desperate" try to reach the American audience, for example Something Fast is just an Arena Rock ballad, thats 100% American style, but in the other hand the lyrics are brilliant on almost all songs, and some "darkness" is still evident on the record with Ribbons (I love the paranoic fell of the track) and the melacholy of WYDSM...about the 81-84 stuff everything is just genious, fresh and the most important; you can dance to every track, my heart is with the 1985 era, but is closely followed by the original incarnation :)