Hi-Fidelity Movie v Book

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
James Blast
Banned

Loved the book.
The movie has distrubed (sic) me so much I am not gonna watch the end. Used to like John Cusac, now he is a bawsac!!!

It's my age, isn't it? :kiss:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

always liked mr cusac, but i read this book a long time ago and thought it was pretty gosh darned spiffing... so naturally i avoided the film like the plague. ;)

have heard good reports about it though, albeit from people saying it wasnt quite like the book but was still good as a film in its own right...

have you heard the one about "fever pitch" being sold to the americans and re-made as a baseball movie? ;) :lol: :urff:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

the book is a work of genius. the definitive guide to the male pysche in all its warped wonder. for this reason i, like quiffy, avoided the film like the plague upon its original release. the book is just so british that any attempt to relocate the action to the wrong side of the pond must be a disaster, right?

wrong! the film is glorious too. i don't know how. i don't know why. but it just works. let go and enjoy it.

this is, of course, the exception that proves the rule that great books never make great films.

oh, and it's cusack... :roll:
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"
Gary
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

its a great film :D
got the DVD
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Film works fine. Not quite the book, but hey - they're different media !

Only quibble, which really annoyed me after a while. His record shop is _huge_ It's obviously meant to be a broom cupboard somewhere, but instead it's enormous. Didn't like that so much, but I'm very picky.

Related question: what about How to be Good? Preachy moralistic s**t, or a challenging look at the joys of liberalism. I loved it, flatmate hated it. Flatmate claims to be a journalist who prides herself on her ethics; I'm a sportswriter with a tabloid instinct. Draw your own conclusions.
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
James Blast
Banned

Not read 'How To Be Good' yet, but 'About A Boy' was so-so.
'23 Songs' or whatever it's called is supposed to be better.

Carnt be 23, a bit too Temple Ov Psychic Yooff.

Did I ever tell you, TOPY used to have 5-a side matches, but they called them 2+3 a sides. FACT!
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
pikkrong
Overbomber

I liked "How To Be Good". Also "High Fidelity".
But I havn't seen any film made after Hornby's books - so... please excuse my dropping senseless posts :oops:
James Blast
Banned

Avoid 'Fever Pitch'- the movie, it is truley awful, and nothing to do with the book IMO.
~ Peter Steele
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Red Sunsets wrote:Avoid 'Fever Pitch'- the movie, it is truley awful, and nothing to do with the book IMO.
Only saw the stage version (don't ask) and that was woeful as well. Poncy noveau football fans. Grrr. Make 'em stand in the freezing cold uncovered terraces while the wind and rain whip in off the North Sea ... then they can have an opinion.
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
Black Shuck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack bar, sucking sickly sausage rolls

The film is surprisingly good.

The book? I didn't know anyone still read books.
Books are obsolete. in 30 or 40 years, NO ONE will read them.
quit clinging to the past.
Gazza for England manager
James Blast
Banned

Black Shuck wrote:Books are obsolete. in 30 or 40 years, NO ONE will read them.
That is such a wrong statement, BS.
~ Peter Steele
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Red Sunsets wrote:Avoid 'Fever Pitch'- the movie, it is truley awful, and nothing to do with the book IMO.
i thought the film was ok as a standalone work. yeah, they changed the whole context of the book which was bit naughty, but if you can forget that its supposed to be an adaptation its not really too baaaad a film :)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
mayhem
Glam Rock Throwback

The book Fever Pitch was excellent - I could forget that Hornby & I had nothing in common except love for a team that most people hated. But no way could I watch the film knowing that it stars Colin Firth who is only second against the wall because Hugh Grant is still alive.

Is there a law that all British films must include at least one of these two ( with for added horror either Emma Thompson or Helena Bonham Carter)?