Wayne on the Sisters.....

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I don't think anyone ever saw The Mission as "the real and only Sisters". Even Wayne is on record as having said that, in retrospect, calling the new band "The Sisterhood" was a bad idea.

But.

At the time of the split, as I understand it, no-one really expected Eldritch to carry on. He was too f*cked up (mentally and physically) to tour any more. Indeed, the more-than-five-year hiatus between the "Wake" at RAH and the Speed Kings at Drogheda is the longest break in the band's live history. So in the absence of a "real and only Sisters" the Mission were an acceptable substitute for a lot of the fan-base.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

I thought I'd already set all of this out very clearly once before (probably earlier in this thread) but here we go again.

As Fiendy says, no-one saw the Mish as "the real and only Sisters" - and they didn't call themselves that. They called themselves The Sisterhood after the unofficial name of a group of diehard fans, and they asked said fans' permission to use it. (For those in doubt, Ramone was the guy who took the phone call.) Yes, it was done partly to irritate Von but they were all basically still friends at the time, he attended some gigs and said nice things and, again as Fiendy has said, no-one expected him or TSOM to carry on so using a similar name didn't seem so bad.

The people who called the new band "The new Sisters of Mercy" were promoters and venues, who put it on posters to bring in the punters. Wayne and co objected but were ignored. Von objected but to the wrong people ie his lawyers and thus madness ensued. Faults on both sides.

Why do we have to keep resurrecting this stupid fight? Like whichever bands you want to and accept that other people may like the ones you don't. Hold an opinion on whether Von can sing or whether you can actually hear whether he can sing through the sound mix. Discuss Wayne's contribution as endlessly as you like (but bear in mind that others may get bored). But calling people names to perpetuate a battle that ended decades ago and which you were never involved in and probably don't even know the protagonists personally is just childish.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow? :innocent:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Hom_Corleone wrote:Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow? :innocent:
:notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

stufarq wrote:Why do we have to keep resurrecting this stupid fight? [...] calling people names to perpetuate a battle that ended decades ago and which you were never involved in and probably don't even know the protagonists personally is just childish.
Wise words indeed.
—Bertrand Russell
Being645
Wiki Wizard

stufarq wrote:I thought I'd already set all of this out very clearly once before (probably earlier in this thread) but here we go again.

As Fiendy says, no-one saw the Mish as "the real and only Sisters" - and they didn't call themselves that. They called themselves The Sisterhood after the unofficial name of a group of diehard fans, and they asked said fans' permission to use it. (For those in doubt, Ramone was the guy who took the phone call.) Yes, it was done partly to irritate Von but they were all basically still friends at the time, he attended some gigs and said nice things and, again as Fiendy has said, no-one expected him or TSOM to carry on so using a similar name didn't seem so bad.

The people who called the new band "The new Sisters of Mercy" were promoters and venues, who put it on posters to bring in the punters. Wayne and co objected but were ignored. Von objected but to the wrong people ie his lawyers and thus madness ensued. Faults on both sides.
Thanks for this lovely elaboration, stufarq ... :notworthy: ... and be sure, I do not want to offend or embarass anyone and preferred this idiocy (some call it flame war, but I don't take it so hard) to e-v-e-n-t-u-a-l-l-y come to an end ... :wink: ...
stufarq wrote: Why do we have to keep resurrecting this stupid fight? Like whichever bands you want to and accept that other people may like the ones you don't. Hold an opinion on whether Von can sing or whether you can actually hear whether he can sing through the sound mix. Discuss Wayne's contribution as endlessly as you like (but bear in mind that others may get bored). But calling people names to perpetuate a battle that ended decades ago and which you were never involved in and probably don't even know the protagonists personally is just childish.
Nice stufarq, I completely agree ... :notworthy: ...
Did I call anybody names, btw? I didn't even notice ... :lol: ...
So just in cases, anybody feels being called names by me - hell, please ... no! don't eat it!
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

markfiend wrote:Wise words indeed.
Wise? Me? Do I have to grow a beard now and sit in a rocking chair on the porch?
Being645 wrote:Thanks for this lovely elaboration, stufarq ... :notworthy: ... and be sure, I do not want to offend or embarass anyone and preferred this idiocy (some call it flame war, but I don't take it so hard) to e-v-e-n-t-u-a-l-l-y come to an end ... :wink: ...

So just in cases, anybody feels being called names by me - hell, please ... no! don't eat it!
Let's all kiss and be friends. No tongues.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

stufarq wrote:
Being645 wrote:Thanks for this lovely elaboration, stufarq ... :notworthy: ... and be sure, I do not want to offend or embarass anyone and preferred this idiocy (some call it flame war, but I don't take it so hard) to e-v-e-n-t-u-a-l-l-y come to an end ... :wink: ...

Let's all kiss and be friends. No tongues.
Yeah, less is clearly more at times.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

stufarq wrote:Wise? Me? Do I have to grow a beard now and sit in a rocking chair on the porch?
Yes. Yes you do. ;D
—Bertrand Russell
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

markfiend wrote:
stufarq wrote:Wise? Me? Do I have to grow a beard now and sit in a rocking chair on the porch?
Yes. Yes you do. ;D
Then will everyone come to me seeking my wise words? Will they all pass by and give me a deferential nod? And occasionally leave gifts of food and logs at the back door? And will they come and sit at my feet and tell me their quandries and ask for my insight and the benefit of my years of experience? And can I tell them to p*ss off and leave an old man in peace?
million voices
Slight Overbomber

No
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
million voices
Slight Overbomber

No
million voices
Slight Overbomber

stufarq wrote:
markfiend wrote:
Yes. Yes you do. ;D
Then will everyone come to me seeking my wise words? Will they all pass by and give me a deferential nod? And occasionally leave gifts of food and logs at the back door? And will they come and sit at my feet and tell me their quandries and ask for my insight and the benefit of my years of experience? And can I tell them to p*ss off and leave an old man in peace?
No
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

This whole thread has become very Monty Python. I'm off to play my old Judean People's Front CDs.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:This whole thread has become very Monty Python. I'm off to play my old Judean People's Front CDs.
That is not unusual here. ;D
"as we walk on the floodland"
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:This whole thread has become very Monty Python. I'm off to play my old Judean People's Front CDs.
Splitters! ;D
—Bertrand Russell
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

This is Spanish Inquisition! We know that NOBODY expect us, but that's how we work. Surprise is our chief weapon!
Aazhyd
Amphetamine Filth

Bartek wrote:This is Spanish Inquisition! We know that NOBODY expect us, but that's how we work. Surprise is our chief weapon!
Fear and surprise!
Only the Americans could have built a place like this in the middle of a jungle.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

the superstition doesn't seem right though
Goths have feelings too
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
Splitters! ;D
:notworthy: I knew that would provoke a reaction from the People's Front of J***a fans !
Aazhyd
Amphetamine Filth

What have the Sisters ever done for us?
Only the Americans could have built a place like this in the middle of a jungle.
million voices
Slight Overbomber

......well, there's the whine and the irritation..
TragicSerenades
Road Kill

Ozpat wrote:
That is not unusual here. ;D
Well..Monty Python rules!!! and the same can be said for this topic...
You just gotta love those Wayne disciples :lol:
gael515
Road Kill

I had the opportunity to talk briefly with Wayne on the m*****n show in Mexico a couple of weeks ago, I gave him loads of Sisters stuff to sign, he said that there is no bad blood between him and Von anymore, he says that if there is any conflict is between the fans and thats it
Aazhyd
Amphetamine Filth

You let Wayne sign SISTERS stuff? OMG!!

Are you gonna let him sign Vision Thing too? I'd love that.