Wayne on the Sisters.....

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Swinnow
Overbomber

Isn't this about what Wayne allegedly said btw?
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Drenchrom
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

radiojamaica wrote:Best gig I've ever seen was a Sisters one. They might not be as good as then, but most of the times they give me top nites out anyway!

I think you do have to make your own fun at Sisters gigs. They're not a band to watch with your arms folded and be very critical about every aspect of the 'live show'.
Get in there, sweat, dance, mosh, sing, make out, watch the pretty lights, ... plenty of things to do!

On the other hand, the same applies for other bands too.

:D
Amen to that, some sense. Can we agree to disagree on this? If not argue about at the next gig face to face, that might be better.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Drenchrom wrote:
radiojamaica wrote:Best gig I've ever seen was a Sisters one. They might not be as good as then, but most of the times they give me top nites out anyway!

I think you do have to make your own fun at Sisters gigs. They're not a band to watch with your arms folded and be very critical about every aspect of the 'live show'.
Get in there, sweat, dance, mosh, sing, make out, watch the pretty lights, ... plenty of things to do!

On the other hand, the same applies for other bands too.

:D
Amen to that, some sense. Can we agree to disagree on this? If not argue about at the next gig face to face, that might be better.
Agreed on all counts. How about a mass brawl at the next gig?
Now can we move on? :D
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
centurionofprix
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I'm don't see why people are saying debating Sabine is useless... I don't think anyone else has changed their opinions in response to each others' points over the course of the argument, either. (Not that they have to. And does anyone ever, on the internet? :lol:)
stufarq wrote:
centurionofprix wrote:
stufarq wrote:]Bands don't handpick venues at all. They play wherever is available at the time they're touring and usually leave it up to tour managers and promoters.

Any venue that wasn't "suitable" for live bands to play in would soon find itself closed.
Both Von and Chris have said this is what they did for the 2011 tour, and at least one of them suggested this was the reason for the generally better quality of the show. Maybe they knew the Lund venue by someone's recommendation, or reputation, or maybe it was just an exception. I couldn't say.
As I said, the suggestion that the venue is at fault is ridiculous as those venues would quickly go out of business.
I never said the venue was "at fault"* If anything is at fault, it's probably Eldritch's quiet voice that requires a very good sound system to be amplified over the music in a live setting, while still making the instruments sound loud and crisp. However, handpicking the venues is at least part of the reason the sound was consistently of a good quality on the last tour. (Another might be that Eldritch seemed pretty fired up for the anniversary tour, and admittedly he was lethargic on stage sometimes on the previous tours.)

* (Unless they fail to provide what the band specified in the contract as Chris suggest on the formspring answer.. Though it's true some places can't even seem to make studio recordings clear over the PA)
Last edited by centurionofprix on 05 Jul 2012, 13:02, edited 7 times in total.
Mav787
One life, all I need

centurionofprix wrote: (Another might be that Eldritch seemed pretty fired up for the anniversary tour, and admittedly he was lethargic on stage sometimes on the previous tours.)
This is a very good point, which I had not really considered before but on reflection could be true.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

radiojamaica wrote:Best gig I've ever seen was a Sisters one.
1992 Pukkelpop I guess?! :D
"as we walk on the floodland"
playboy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

centurionofprix wrote:I'm don't see why people are saying debating Sabine is useless... I don't think anyone else has changed their opinions in response to each others' points over the course of the argument, either. (Not that they have to. And does anyone ever, on the internet? :lol:)
stufarq wrote:
centurionofprix wrote: Both Von and Chris have said this is what they did for the 2011 tour, and at least one of them suggested this was the reason for the generally better quality of the show. Maybe they knew the Lund venue by someone's recommendation, or reputation, or maybe it was just an exception. I couldn't say.
As I said, the suggestion that the venue is at fault is ridiculous as those venues would quickly go out of business.
I never said the venue was "at fault"* If anything is at fault, it's probably Eldritch's quiet voice that requires a very good sound system to be amplified over the music in a live setting, while still making the instruments sound loud and crisp. However, handpicking the venues is at least part of the reason the sound was consistently of a good quality on the last tour. (Another might be that Eldritch seemed pretty fired up for the anniversary tour, and admittedly he was lethargic on stage sometimes on the previous tours.)

* (Unless they fail to provide what the band specified in the contract as Chris suggest on the formspring answer.. Though it's true some places can't even seem to make studio recordings clear over the PA)
The venue in Lund is good with a good sound and a very good system. The Sisters did not use the venues PA for some reason, the big speakers was not used by them (however the support band did and it sounded very good and loud). I know that the venues staff was debating about this and said that the sound was not going to be the best if not using their equipment which was optimized for the venue. Tha band insisted to use only the small speakers which would resultate in an acousticly wrong and low sound.........
So, at least in some cases, it doesn´t matter what PA system the venue has...
Being645
Wiki Wizard

playboy wrote: The venue in Lund is good with a good sound and a very good system. The Sisters did not use the venues PA for some reason, the big speakers was not used by them (however the support band did and it sounded very good and loud). I know that the venues staff was debating about this and said that the sound was not going to be the best if not using their equipment which was optimized for the venue. Tha band insisted to use only the small speakers which would resultate in an acousticly wrong and low sound.........
So, at least in some cases, it doesn´t matter what PA system the venue has...
Interesting news.

However, maybe we should split this thread or rename it into "Bad Sound, again ..."
Silver_Owl
The Don

Being645 wrote: However, maybe we should split this thread or rename it into "Bad Sound, again ..."
...or maybe delete the whole thread... ;D
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Hom_Corleone wrote:
Being645 wrote: However, maybe we should split this thread or rename it into "Bad Sound, again ..."
...or maybe delete the whole thread... ;D
:lol: ... and start it again on July 22nd at the latest ... :lol: ...
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Or whole section, since we're talking about SAMO things on what we don't have an effect.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Bartek wrote:Or whole section, since we're talking about SAMO things on what we don't have an effect.
... if you want to ignore the facts that The Sisters have clearly improved their sound and arrangements steadily during the last tour, played plenty wonderful gigs, changed their setlist as much and as often as hardly ever before, given scores of interviews in magazines, on the radio and elsewhere, got in touch with the fanbase on a very friendly and open basis ... then fine, go on feeling like neglected little boy with the "right" to complain endlessly 'til mummy perhaps, eventually, does what you want her to ... good heavens ... :lol: ...
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

I hereby name you the first recipient of the 'golden hatstand' award
Goths have feelings too
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

You forgot to add something about new album (why they're not recording it and releasing it? trying excuse them why not releasing new album is good? why releasing would be good?) and what band wore TSOM tee and/or mentioned about that band, then you'll got almost everything what TSOM fanbase is talking about when it comes to The Sisters of Mercy. And that's what I was trying to say, not something that you thought that you knew what I meant to say. Really, good heavens.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Bartek wrote:You forgot to add something about new album (why they're not recording it and releasing it? trying excuse them why not releasing new album is good? why releasing would be good?) and what band wore TSOM tee and/or mentioned about that band, then you'll got almost everything what TSOM fanbase is talking about when it comes to The Sisters of Mercy. And that's what I was trying to say, not something that you thought that you knew what I meant to say. Really, good heavens.
Oh, I'd love them to release a new album ... ;D ...
it might not change a thing as to complaints, but it could be just a pleasure
and an adventure for them to take on a project as such, very invigorating, inspiring ... ;D ;D ;D ...

paint it black wrote:Image

I hereby name you the first recipient of the 'golden hatstand' award
... ;D ;D ;D ... Thank you ... :lol: ...
TragicSerenades
Road Kill

A new album by the sisters wouldn`t get a fair chance here..the ones that doesn`t like the fact that
they`re doing live shows now,they will not like the record either..like "if only they were a novelty act with just one album(FALAA) done"
this thread is so entertaining,it cant shut down :D
how boring wouldn`t it be if we all kissed Waynes butt :lol:
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Ozpat wrote:
The very one! 8) :notworthy:
in dub we trust
paul
Overbomber

radiojamaica wrote:
Ozpat wrote:
The very one! 8) :notworthy:
The one indeed!
playboy

TragicSerenades wrote:A new album by the sisters wouldn`t get a fair chance here..the ones that doesn`t like the fact that
they`re doing live shows now,they will not like the record either..like "if only they were a novelty act with just one album(FALAA) done"
this thread is so entertaining,it cant shut down :D
how boring wouldn`t it be if we all kissed Waynes butt :lol:
I think a lot would like a new record.
There are a handful that think that FALAA is the only record they should do. There are also a handful that think that playing live is ok, a handful of those are fans who has got several live recordings and videos. But most don´t, this only goes for the diehard fans. We know about Susanne, Arms, Summer and so on, but most people don´t, have never heard them before, and they will not remember the tunes a few days after the show. And they cannot listen to them again on record. Which, in reality, makes todays Sisters a novelty act.....

Maybe it would be borind if we all kissed Waynes butt. we don´t hve to, though, s he no longer in in the band...
I find it boring to be stuck with those old records, same show every year.

Out of the 20 songs they did live a week or so, 15 of them is more than 20 years old.
And the other five songs... Crash And Burn is 12 years old. Summer is 15 years old. Arms , only three years old. And one cover, and one intrumental cover......
playboy

Being645 wrote:
Bartek wrote:Or whole section, since we're talking about SAMO things on what we don't have an effect.
... changed their setlist as much and as often as hardly ever before, given scores of interviews in magazines, on the radio and elsewhere, got in touch with the fanbase on a very friendly and open basis ......
Are you talking about the Sisters?
Being645
Wiki Wizard

playboy wrote:
Being645 wrote:
... changed their setlist as much and as often as hardly ever before, given scores of interviews in magazines, on the radio and elsewhere, got in touch with the fanbase on a very friendly and open basis ......
Are you drunk?
playboy

Being645 wrote:
playboy wrote:
Being645 wrote: ... changed their setlist as much and as often as hardly ever before, given scores of interviews in magazines, on the radio and elsewhere, got in touch with the fanbase on a very friendly and open basis ......
Are you drunk?
No, I am not. If I were I could probably make some sense in what I read about changing setlists, scores of interviews, getting in touch on a open basis. That last one is really good....

By the way... you forgot to answer my question..

And now to something completely different - summer seems to, finally, have arrived in Sweden. Hope it lasts more than a week....
Being645
Wiki Wizard

playboy wrote:
Being645 wrote:
playboy wrote: Are you talking about the Sisters?
Are you drunk?
No, I am not. If I were I could probably make some sense in what I read about changing setlists, scores of interviews, getting in touch on a open basis. That last one is really good....

And now to something completely different - summer seems to, finally, have arrived in Sweden. Hope it lasts more than a week....
Best wishes as to that. Hopefully it will awake you thoroughly from hibernation ... :lol: ...
playboy

Being645 wrote:
playboy wrote:
Being645 wrote: Are you drunk?

Best wishes as to that. Hopefully it will awake you thoroughly from hibernation ... :lol: ...
Or maybe I wish to remain in that state. Dreaming of ever changing setlists, the tons of interview I have read, heard and watched, not to mention all questions, especially those for and about Andrew, how those have been openly answered.

No, my friend. I am not in that state. Maybe it would be nice. Can´t tell. Have never tried. In my sober reality things look different. But maybe you have some info I have missed. Maybe you can tell me more about the interviews, the getting in touch with the fans on a very open basis. And sharing the concerts with the very changed setlist. I´d LOVE to hear those.
I could have missed these things, as I have got other things to do sometimes. So maybe you can prove me wrong.
Or maybe you can´t, cause there are nothing to show?.
Or maybe it was not Sisters after all you wrote about. I cannot tell, since you are yet to answer my first question.

Finally, answering a question with a question is lack of respect. Regardless if we have different views on things. It is rude. Leaving the questioner in doubt. It is not benefiting the maturity. Leave that to kids and to those who has no answers.

Think of me as someone who has missed all you mentioned, interviews, setlists, getting in touch with fans and so on. I am, after all, a Sisters fan, and would like to know any news I might have missed.
Maybe you something about Andrew that I don´t. Or know how to get open info. All I know is the formspring where Chris is writing.
And asking him about anything from the first 26 years in the history of The Sisters Of Mercy is pointless as he was not in the band.
We "have to ask Andrew"......
If only we could......