Neil Armstrong

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Debaser
Overbomber

CRIPES! I just picked up this from the picture framers today!

I know it's Buzz but Neil took the photo and you can see him in the helmet vizor.

What an amazing life he had.
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

A very modest man as well. RIP.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Ah Sh!t

I was genuinely in floods of tears last night (and I'm tearing up agian now). Armstong was a hero for the whole of humanity. He was the first person to walk on another world. That is a unique achievement, only made possible by thousands of people working together for a common goal.

I think Randall Munroe speaks better than I can:
xkcd wrote:The universe is probably littered with the one-planet graves of cultures which made the sensible economic decision that there's no good reason to go into space--each discovered, studied, and remembered by the ones who made the irrational decision.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
SteBacchus
Amphetamine Filth

xkcd wrote:The universe is probably littered with the one-planet graves of cultures which made the sensible economic decision that there's no good reason to go into space--each discovered, studied, and remembered by the ones who made the irrational decision.
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Few people will ever be able to say they will be remembered for all time and still be as humble.

Just think what human kind could achieve if we were all made of the same 'stuff' as Neil Armstrong
I don't doubt and I don't take direction....
paul
Overbomber

Besides his achievements a an astronaut, I loved his song "What A Wonderful World"! (:roll: at myself)
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

He went to the moon in a ship more primitive than my washing machine. The word "hero" is bandied about far too much but occasionally it's genuinely appropriate.

Will his remains be scattered in space like Scotty?
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Being645
Above the Chemist

RIP ... :( ... however, he had a good life, I guess ... :D ...
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

stufarq wrote:Will his remains be scattered in space like Scotty?
Ideally humans should go back to the moon, and his ashes should be scattered across the Sea of Tranquillity, to mix with the moon dust. And that should form the basis of a renewed space age.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

The biggest step...RIP.
"as we walk on the floodland"
SteBacchus
Amphetamine Filth

lazarus corporation wrote:
Ideally humans should go back to the moon, and his ashes should be scattered across the Sea of Tranquillity, to mix with the moon dust. And that should form the basis of a renewed space age.
Couldn't agree more, what a great idea
I don't doubt and I don't take direction....
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

lazarus corporation wrote:
That would be good. Sadly not gonna happen though.
Pista
Cureboi

I can't quite believe how the US tv networks failed catch it.
One of them (NBC) even had his name in as Neil Young FFS!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... story.html

:roll:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The first moon-base should be called Armstrong Station.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
spot778
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

End of line.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

spot778 wrote:Image
Cameras weren't invented 3.6 million years ago. I'm calling hoax. Which makes me suspicious of your other two photos as well...
nowayjose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

lazarus corporation wrote: Ideally humans should go back to the moon, and his ashes should be scattered across the Sea of Tranquillity, to mix with the moon dust. And that should form the basis of a renewed space age.
From an emotional point of view that would be nice but from a rational pov, that money should rather be used to send a few more robots to planets, moons and asteroids, like probes to Europa (possibly a water ocean beneath the ice crust) and Titan (surface methane lakes... Solaris, anyone?)
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

nowayjose wrote:
lazarus corporation wrote: Ideally humans should go back to the moon, and his ashes should be scattered across the Sea of Tranquillity, to mix with the moon dust. And that should form the basis of a renewed space age.
From an emotional point of view that would be nice but from a rational pov, that money should rather be used to send a few more robots to planets, moons and asteroids, like probes to Europa (possibly a water ocean beneath the ice crust) and Titan (surface methane lakes... Solaris, anyone?)
Hmm, not really - it depends on your aim (manned exploration or unmanned exploration). I'm very much convinced of the need for manned exploration because the technologies that get developed to achieve it will take us (by tiny steps) towards a long-term aim of being able to support life for long periods of time off-world.

Don't get me wrong - sending unmanned probes to various moons (as we've been doing for some years) is a good thing too, but we also need manned missions to closer destinations.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

lazarus corporation wrote: Hmm, not really - I'm very much convinced of the need for manned exploration because the technologies that get developed to achieve it will take us (by tiny steps) towards a long-term aim of being able to support life for long periods of time off-world.
to what end? The human race has got a big enough home to f**k up without building a conservatory

... unless there's a plan to remove Will.i.am and his likes. then I'm right behind you!
Goths have feelings too
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Here's your answer PiB: I quoted it up there.
—Bertrand Russell
spot778
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

We already sent a probe to Titan

They don't last long.
End of line.
GC
Slight Overbomber

spot778 wrote:We already sent a probe to Titan

They don't last long.
But when are they going to probe Uranus..............

sorry, surprised I'm the first.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

paint it black wrote:
lazarus corporation wrote: Hmm, not really - I'm very much convinced of the need for manned exploration because the technologies that get developed to achieve it will take us (by tiny steps) towards a long-term aim of being able to support life for long periods of time off-world.
to what end? The human race has got a big enough home to f**k up without building a conservatory

... unless there's a plan to remove Will.i.am and his likes. then I'm right behind you!
But it's not big enough. Overpopulation is already one of our biggest problems and it's getting exponentially worse. One of the best arguments (I think) for continued space exploration is that we need to colonise. How badly (or goodly) we take care of the planet(s) is a valid question but doesn't remove the need for expansion.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

stufarq wrote:Overpopulation is already one of our biggest problems and it's getting exponentially worse. One of the best arguments (I think) for continued space exploration is that we need to colonise. How badly (or goodly) we take care of the planet(s) is a valid question but doesn't remove the need for expansion.
Definitely not the answer or the most logical approach to the (grave) problem, imho.
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Gollum's Cock wrote:But when are they going to probe Uranus...
Trust me - if you're a chap over 40, with a comprehensive health insurance policy, they'll be probing Uranus as a matter of course. My medical chap told me that in a few years they'll be shoving a camera up it and all. Can't imagine what they'd want to take pictures of - I mean, what do they think they're going to find? Amelia Earhart's plane, maybe? Lord Lucan? My boss, certainly - she seems to spend an inordinate amount of time up there. She must really like it, given that she spends the rest of her time with her head up her own.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

EvilBastard wrote: My medical chap told me that in a few years they'll be shoving a camera up it and all.
Been there, done that, thankfully don't have the pictorial evidence. Yeah, TMI, but tough shit, innit. :wink: ;D :kiss: Was asleep the whole time, felt nothing, woke up unscathed, if horrendously embarrassed (Christ, will the lame puns end?!). But I digress... The prep, on the other hand, was a nightmare. :urff:
EvilBastard wrote:My boss, certainly - she seems to spend an inordinate amount of time up there. She must really like it, given that she spends the rest of her time with her head up her own.

Wow, yours too? Mine's a withered, Gollum-esque troll, with a stature to match and a raging Napoleon complex to boot, who needs to be put out of my misery. And swiftly. Or else I need a new job. Still working on that one... :|
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry: