Bowie's best album?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
bangles
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Heathen. For me it kicks off with one of the greatest openers on a Bowie album 'Sunday'. I remember some reviews when it was released complaining about it dragginf on for ages and ended just before it got interesting, which was as good a bit of point missing as i'd read in a long time... Conversely, there's a great piece in the Complete Bowie book which discusses how the shadow of 9/11 appears to hover over the album and likens the stuttering guitar intro to firemens recollections of mobile phones ringing in the doomed towers... The rest of the album packs quite an emotional punch too. Oh, and ace artwork too...
Asperum Aestimate Fimi Aliquid Hodie
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Votes so far:

Station to Station: 1
Ziggy: 4
Low: 1
Hunky Dory: 3
Diamond Dogs: 3
Outside: 1
Lodger: 1
Heathen: 1
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

abridged wrote:Ahem. I liked the singles album. Tried to listen to a few albums but got bored quite quickly am afraid. Even with Ziggy. Grabs his coat and runs... :innocent:
Same here...sort of. It's not that I get bored, necessarily, it's that each album mentioned contains both all-time favorites *and* songs that I simply can't stand. For me, though, this is pretty much par for the course (even re: TSoM - shhh! :eek: :oops: :innocent:).

My first real, consistent exposure to Bowie was via MTV in its infancy, so I'm rather biased in favor of the selections on "Changesbowie" (particularly those off of "Scary Monsters"). Yeah, it's a cop-out, I know... :|
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Pista
Cureboi

Hunk Dory for me.

TR&FOZS&TSFM was a close runner up, along with Aladdin Sane, but Hunky Dory just gets me every time
:D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Bahamas
Road Kill

Easy for me Hunky Dory by a mile. If you are Bowie fans Toy is worth looking out for which is flaoting around on the web. Cross over with Heathen songs but best material post Scary Monsters.
Randall Flagg

Bahamas wrote:Easy for me Hunky Dory by a mile. If you are Bowie fans Toy is worth looking out for which is flaoting around on the web. Cross over with Heathen songs but best material post Scary Monsters.
yep - another vote for HD - it gets better as each year passes, as does LOW, though I do need to be in the right frame of mind!

Flagg
Debaser
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Votes so far:

Hunky Dory: Is the bestist
*AHEM* :innocent:
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Pista
Cureboi

Debaser wrote:
markfiend wrote:Votes so far:

Hunky Dory: Is the bestist
*AHEM* :innocent:
:lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Votes so far:

Hunky Dory: 6
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Hunslet Ramone
Amphetamine Filth

Hard choice as he has done so many good albums.
But I would pick David Live. Fantastic Album , with electrifying guitar from Earl Slick. Just listen to Width of a Circle for one. Think I better go dig out the CD as I now fancy listening to it.

Just wish I could have gone to Philadelphia Tower Theatre, in the USA in 74 to have seen this.

Did see all his tours in Britain though
Ziggy Stardust
Let's Dance
Serious Moonlight
Station to Station.

Then fell out with him when the Silly Tin Machine rubbish came out.
I go to gigs, and if there is any money left, I eat
Hunslet Ramone
Amphetamine Filth

Votes so far :

Hunky Dory : 6
Ziggy : 4
Diamond Dogs : 3
David Live : 1
Station to Station : 1
Low : 1
Lodger : 1
Heathen : 1
Outside : 1
metal on metal
Amphetamine Filth

I'm torn between Diamond Dogs and "Heroes". Side two of "Heroes" (oh, for the days when albums had "sides"!) is the best stuff ever to come out of Bowie's Berlin period and something I never tire of listening to. Possibly my favourite Bowie stuff of all, which makes me wanted to vote for it. It's just that, title track aside, the songs on side one aren't really much cop.

Diamond Dogs, on the other hand, contains some of the best songs he ever wrote - Rock'n'Roll With Me is just sublime - and it sounds like a record that was conceived as a whole as opposed to just a collection of songs.

Basically, I do love a good concept album :oops:

So I'm going with Diamond Dogs.

I've never understood the appeal of Hunky Dory to be honest. It's not an album I can even say I like particularly much, but it does seem to be his most popular.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Hunky Dory : 6
Ziggy : 4
Diamond Dogs : 4
David Live : 1
Station to Station : 1
Low : 1
Lodger : 1
Heathen : 1
Outside : 1
metal on metal wrote:Basically, I do love a good concept album :oops:
Damn right. Why the small type and embarrassed face?
—Bertrand Russell
Debaser
Overbomber

Hunslet Ramone wrote:
Ziggy Stardust
Is that coz you is dead oooold :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

"Good concept album" ?? Surely an oxymoron. It's all a bit Spinal Tap.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:"Good concept album" ?? Surely an oxymoron. It's all a bit Spinal Tap.
An argument could be made that Floodland is a concept album...
—Bertrand Russell
Being645
Above the Chemist

Recently, I've been listening a lot to this one, a wonderful compilation!

Makes me dream of Lodger, though. For sure one of my favourites ... but also Outside, Hours, Heathen (above all for Sunday) and Reality ... oh, and Scary Monsters and The Man Who Sold The World and Space Oddity, Aladdin Sane, Pin Ups, Ziggy Stardust, Diamond Dogs, Young Americans, Station To Station, Low, Heroes, even Let's Dance, Tonight, Never Let Me Down and Black Tie White Noise and the Tin Machine stuff, and this collection of very early songs called Images.

Funny, that I've never managed to find a copy of Hunky Dory ... :lol: ...
And why Earthling never made its way into my mind, I don't know. Perhaps, I was too busy with The Sisters of Mercy at the time of its release.

So my favourite Bowie album? Always the one I'm just listening to ... for a few days. Then I need change, urgently. But there's enough to chose from ... ;D ...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I really like Earthling. It often gets ignored, but IMO it's a great example of the kind of genre-mixing that Bowie does best.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Being645 wrote:Makes me dream of Lodger, though. For sure one of my favourites ... but also Outside, Hours, Heathen (above all for Sunday) and Reality ... oh, and Scary Monsters and The Man Who Sold The World and Space Oddity, Aladdin Sane, Pin Ups, Ziggy Stardust, Diamond Dogs, Young Americans, Station To Station, Low, Heroes, even Let's Dance, Tonight, Never Let Me Down and Black Tie White Noise and the Tin Machine stuff, and this collection of very early songs called Images.

So my favourite Bowie album? Always the one I'm just listening to ... for a few days. Then I need change, urgently. But there's enough to chose from ... ;D ...
you've just described my bowie listening habits/patterns too :lol: :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
radiojamaica
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:I really like Earthling. It often gets ignored, but IMO it's a great example of the kind of genre-mixing that Bowie does best.
Oh god yes, me too! In my world Little Wonder was a most perfect single and Earthling might just be the Bowie album I have listened to most...
I remember quite well when it came out and although I was very familiar with his work (how can you not?!) Eartling was the first Bowie album I ever bought...
in dub we trust
Hunslet Ramone
Amphetamine Filth

Debaser wrote:
Hunslet Ramone wrote:
Ziggy Stardust
Is that coz you is dead oooold :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:
Err.... not as old as Bowie is, at least I have seen a lot of good gigs in the past. Still don't feel that old. :kiss:
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:"Good concept album" ?? Surely an oxymoron. It's all a bit Spinal Tap.
An argument could be made that Floodland is a concept album...
...and is this supposed to advance your argument ??
bangles

Being645 wrote:Recently, I've been listening a lot to this one, a wonderful compilation!

As a compilation - that & the i-select one that was given away with the Mail a few years ago are among the best. Oh & All Saints for the instrumentals...
Asperum Aestimate Fimi Aliquid Hodie
bismarck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

1. Hunky Dory
2. Space Oddity

I love that period.
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
Being645
Above the Chemist

Last night I've found this wonderful blog with plenty great photos of Bowie, The Sisters and many other bands ... wow ... ;D :notworthy:

http://overlooking-the-ocean.tumblr.com/

Also very, very pretty ... ;D ;D ;D ...
http://thesistersofmercy.tumblr.com/

There seems to be a lot going on at tumblr ... :eek: ...