sisters of ughhhhh-cy - a 9 year old's view

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
blackandgold65
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Picked up my 9 year old son from school yesterday. He gets in the car and with a distinctly Lydonesque tone says "What's THISSSS" as we reach a point on my ipod playlist that is currently playing in the background - it is TSOM's version of Gimme Shelter. I tell him who it is, and he replies "more like Sisters of UGHHHH-cy, all their songs just go ugh, ugh, ugh". He then deftly scrolls through the artist list on the ipod and selects Ladytron 'The Witching Hour'! "Much better" he says. He looks happy.

All this from a boy who has a penchant for loud lime green t-shirts, sunglasses and hats, is a single-minded Taurean, but who doesn't answer to the name of Andrew. We named him after that Rollins bloke.

Love him.
"I think insipid music is very dangerous. It's a narcotic for the nation as you very well know."
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Ladytron is an ace choice for any 9 year old!

My almost 3 year old son is huge Bob Marley fan. And Ramones too... I have no trouble with that whatsoever :wink:
in dub we trust
blackandgold65

yes, I am pleased that he is receiving a 'decent' musical education!! He is really into electronic music particularly - Ladytron, Gorillaz, Numan, Air all score highly in his eyes/ears. His dad is an uber Clash/TOH fan, which he doesn't like....yet. We went to the Strummer festival in the summer and the Justice Tonight band played (Mick Jones, Pete Wylie etc) lots of middle aged dads going absolutely bonkers, he looked up at me and said "this is awful, can you take me back to the disco tent!!!"

An appreciation of guitars is yet to come, if at all!!
"I think insipid music is very dangerous. It's a narcotic for the nation as you very well know."
radiojamaica
Overbomber

blackandgold65 wrote:he looked up at me and said "this is awful, can you take me back to the disco tent!!!"

Priceless! :lol: :notworthy:

Last week I went to see the Nephilim at the Incubate festival and had been playing the Dawnrazor LP in the days before. I told him I was going to see them and showed him the sleeve with the cool bandpic on front. He was impressed! The day after the gig he pointed to the sleeve and told me the next time he was going to come along to a gig of those 'big men'...
But I might take him disco dancing first!
in dub we trust
Silver_Owl
The Don

blackandgold65 wrote:We went to the Strummer festival in the summer and the Justice Tonight band played (Mick Jones, Pete Wylie etc) lots of middle aged dads going absolutely bonkers, he looked up at me and said "this is awful, can you take me back to the disco tent!!!"

An appreciation of guitars is yet to come, if at all!!
:lol: Did you not explain Mick Jones is in Gorillaz? :wink:
Gorillaz is a big favourite with my 5 year old.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
blackandgold65

:lol: Did you not explain Mick Jones is in Gorillaz? :wink:
Gorillaz is a big favourite with my 5 year old.
:lol: yes...Dad did explain at some point, that the man playing guitar was the same person who he saw with Gorillaz but it was met with a defiant "No, it's not. Why is he not wearing his nice hat, that man is bald." ah well....image is everything!

He saw Gorillaz at Glastonbury, Mick Jones and Paul Simonon sporting fetching naval caps, he stood on a stepladder called Dad to watch, cue bad back for about a month!!! :lol: He loved it! I tried to take him to see QOTSA the following year or so but he wasn't having any of it. He went to watch Beyonce instead, probably for the best (???!!). Josh Homme likes to swear...a lot!!

Still, breakthrough today - he now likes Johnny Cash, all hail to the Ring of Fire :D
nigel d

having brought my 4 kids on a wide variety of music , i am sad to say that the two eldest lads (23 and 25) still listen to utter s**t .....
i am more likely to release an album before the sisters
bangles

My 7 year old launched into a rant about Lou Reed the other day or Moo Reed as she has christened him - because he sounds like a cow Mooing when he sings...

While my two year old demands all music be turned off so he can watch Power Rangers...

Bloody kids, eh?
Asperum Aestimate Fimi Aliquid Hodie
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

bangles wrote:My 7 year old launched into a rant about Lou Reed the other day or Moo Reed as she has christened him - because he sounds like a cow Mooing when he sings...
She's going to go very far in life with such a professional ear for detail :notworthy:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
blackandgold65

I am at this very moment, listening to my son singing 'Thriller' at the top of his lungs, with some added zombie moves for good measure. I might just join in!!!