Berlin, where to go what to see?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
christophe
Overbomber

hey guys, I'm planning a trip to Berlin next month and I was wondering if any of you could give me some recommendations? :)
most of the mayor tourist hotspots are all already on the agenda but now I'm looking for the things that really are worth a view :D
thx.
Another Shade of You.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Tacheles, when you still have the chance...

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
nowayjose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Tacheles has been shut down for good in September, unfortunately.

I don't know what you're looking for, there's likely something for any kind of interest.

I'd suggest a walk in Mitte, certainly at the Alexanderplatz, Schönhauser Allee/Kastanienallee in the neighbouring Prenzlauer Berg district are favourites of younger tourists and retain the old Berlin architecture, aswell as the Kreuzberg district around Oranienstrasse in the evening (bars & cafes). If you like it slightly grittier, a walk down Karl-Marx-Strasse in Neukölln might be interesting aswell. You can also have a stroll on the old Tempelhof airport, which is now open to the public. There's a Ramones museum&bar in Krausnickstr. in Mitte, if you're a fan.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

You must go up the TV tower in Alexanderplatz. The view is amazing. And the food in the revolving restaurant isn't bad.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
christophe
Overbomber

thx all :)
nowayjose wrote:There's a Ramones museum&bar in Krausnickstr. in Mitte, if you're a fan.
I knew I there was something like that and it seems my hostel is not located too far from it :D
the TV tower looks cool, but I don't think I'll visit the restaurant, it looks expensive? :?

I don't go for any particular reason, I just want to have a sense of the city, visit some museums and have a look at the nightlife.
Yeasayer seems to be playing, maybe I'll go for that.
Another Shade of You.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

city hop on hop off bus is a must to get your bearings quickly 8)
Goths have feelings too
christophe
Overbomber

really? I thought that was just for tourist :innocent:
Another Shade of You.
sandy666
Road Kill

The Pergamon museum. It has quite a lot of Sumerian stuff and is very well displayed.

There are a number of history walks (in English) that are very good and informative if that is your bag.

A beer hall - The Hoffbrauhaus was nice.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
nowayjose

radiojamaica
Overbomber

Ooh, I'd love to go too! A visit to the Ramones museum would be a must as is that unterwelten thing... and then just getting lost in the old city and keep walking...
in dub we trust
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Bobbins I was gonna suggest Cafe Zapate as unmissable, but googling it to check spelling and address reveals that the place has closed. What a shame, you'd have loved it Christophe.

Can't recommend anywhere else as that was more or less the first place we chanced upon en route to the Velodrom for a Rammstein gig, and we were in no hurry to leave, but the taxi ride through the city at night, with the Christmas lights-lit promenades looking spectacular, was stunning, it'll be beautiful to walk there. Enjoy Sir.
meat is murder
Road Kill

sorry christophe, i completely forgot about your message on facebook... :oops:

from the top of my head...
- bars/clubs: king kong club, madame claude's, kitkat club, rosis, berghain (if you can get in), so36,...
- museums: bauhaus archive, the former stasi headquarters, martin-gropius-bau, c/o photomuseum, helmut newton archive... there are also tons of little galeries & exhibition spaces.
- food: cheap indian at amrit, but food is quite nice (and cheap) in most places in berlin anyway. last time i went to an amazing tapas bar but can't remember the name or street :roll:, plenty of veggie/vegan places as well but that's probably not your cup of tea :wink:
- music shops: staalplaat & rumpsti pumsti (both more experimental stuff), dense (more club-oriented), and the 2nd hand shops here and there. haven't really shopped for music in berlin (yet) so can't recommend that much.

apart from kreuzberg, prenzlauer berg and neukölln, you should also try out friedrichshain; lots of nice shops, bars,... to visit.

on one occasion i visited a huge sunday flea market in mauer park, was really nice as well.

if you have time and the weather's nice; teufelsberg, which is an old abandoned weather station, great view apparently (still haven't made it there myself) but it's quite a long way from the city centre

very recommended also are the guided tours by alternativeberlin.com. only did the pubcrawl sofar but that was a *very* nice evening... :-)
iesus
Overbomber

My 2 drachmas in this
1) http://www.schokoladen-mitte.de/
loved that place, many concerts to attend :)
2) http://www.baiz.info/
http://www.facebook.com/BaizBar one of the best bars you can go with lots of good beer, no milk available there ;D
3) If you like Liver have a try on Berlin Liver Recipe on a restaurant with local cuisine, ask your hotel reception suggestions where to go to have food
4) Ramones Museum - some Sisters related surprises are in there
5) Museum Island (you will need a whole day for all of them) start from North to South or pick up specific collections
6) Hertha football game if it is weekend and Hertha plays in Berlin 8)
Olympic Stadium is the one of 1936 games etc.

Have a nice time there :wink:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
christophe
Overbomber

thanks guys! :D
I have booked the trip half December, so that leaves me with enough time to make a scheduled.
I'll give your suggestions a closer look and I'll for sure let you know how it was. 8)
Another Shade of You.
nowayjose

christophe wrote:thanks guys! :D
I have booked the trip half December, so that leaves me with enough time to make a scheduled.
I'll give your suggestions a closer look and I'll for sure let you know how it was. 8)
Have a nice trip; watch your wallet, and never accept a dubious drink from a stranger at a Christmas market (there have been poisonings).
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Excellent thread, I'm booked to visit Berlin inbetween Xmas and New Year. Miz Sinister is a vegetarian, so if people can recommend vegan-friendly restaurants I'd be obliged!

We're staying at the Raddison on Alexanderstrasse 8)
meat is murder
Road Kill

timsinister wrote:Excellent thread, I'm booked to visit Berlin inbetween Xmas and New Year. Miz Sinister is a vegetarian, so if people can recommend vegan-friendly restaurants I'd be obliged!

We're staying at the Raddison on Alexanderstrasse 8)
http://berlin-vegan.de/
https://www.facebook.com/BerlinVegan
http://www.happycow.net/europe/germany/berlin/

i'm a huge fan of yoyo, myself... fake calamares, ftw!
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Smashing, cheers! :notworthy: