Recording Device for Gigs?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
robertzombie
Overbomber

I'm looking into purchasing a device to record my band's gigs. Something that could fit onto a tripod and be placed at the sound-desk would be ideal.

Budget is around £100. Could anyone lend a hand with suggestions/advice?
Pista
Cureboi

You might be able to pick up an Edirol R 09 or an iRiver on evil bay

The Sony PCM M10's not bad either.

Trouble is, you'll need decent mics & they can set you back quite a bit.
Unless, of course, you're running a line out of the sound desk. You wouldn't need a mic then :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Without any doubt:

http://www.thomann.de/be/zoom_h2n.htm

Had a Zoom H2 for years, super recorder, stereo or even surround, MP3 or WAV, outdoor or indoor. Only drawback was battery life, but maybe that's better with this new version...

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
BigPhil
Amphetamine Filth

DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

100 bucks is a tight budget - can't really recommend something is this price range.

A good mic for starters are the church cards - I like the CA14 a lot, they can outperform some way more pricey capsules. When it comes to church audio gears I think there's nothing with better price/value on the market. You definetly need to take a look at the taperssection forum - he's selling his stuff there and sometimes he start some discount specials. There's also a chance to get the stuff cheaper via 2nd hand there.

I'm not really up to date when it comes to recording devices - perhaps the little brother of the Edirol R09HR might be something for you but I'd definetly take a look for some reviews at the taperssection.
limur
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Without any doubt:

Had a Zoom H2 for years, super recorder, stereo or even surround, MP3 or WAV, outdoor or indoor. Only drawback was battery life, but maybe that's better with this new version...

IZ.
Can't recommend this enough.
...train, crashin' head long into the heartland...

Pushing Good Music #PGM www.livemusicreview.co.uk
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

And with the accessories, you have a recording solution for all terrains, it even has a very handy adapter so you can put the H2N in a mic stand in the middle of your rehearsal room :)

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
blackandgold65
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Without any doubt:

IZ.
totally agree with this, had one of these too for years and it has taken a lot of punishment, reliable etc. Highly recommend.
"I think insipid music is very dangerous. It's a narcotic for the nation as you very well know."
EvilBastard
Overbomber

If you're having trouble finding something that fits your budget, I'd be willing to part with my old iRiver iHP-140 - 40gb of steel and chrome loveliness, leather case, and the not-very-expensive Sony stereo mic that I bought a few years back. Recently upgraded to a Cowon J3 for my traveling music needs, so drop me a line if you're interested 8)
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

I have a Zoom H1 that i use for capturing live recordings (gig and rehearsals) and it does a really good job. I got mine for $99. It runs off a single AA and the battery usually lasts for about 5hrs of recording. Takes a Micro SD card.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

you also might think about recording directly from the mixing desk and mix it together with the audience recording to give it more atmosphere
Debaser
Overbomber

DocSommer wrote:you also might think about recording directly from the mixing desk and mix it together with the audience recording to give it more atmosphere
I was wondering at what point someone would say this - seeing as they are YOUR gigs and you will know the Sound guy, it won't be a problem.
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else