His Master's Voice. Silenced

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Pista
Cureboi

Quite sad to see HMV going to the wall.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21021073

I used to spend hours browsing in their stores & bought many a good choon from them.
:(
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Yes it's very sad, but I can't remember the last time I bought a record there. :/
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
bangles
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

always preferred hmv to the likes of virgin and our price and it's sad to see them going the same way. i remember the first time i went the megastore on oxford street... Amazing shop. Actually saw Marc Almond do an instore gig back in the 90's there too...

hopefully it survives in some form...

:(
Pista
Cureboi

I used the online store (as I can't find HMV in Hungary), but always popped into the shops at airports & picked up a bargain or two.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
DeWinter
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

It's sad to see such an iconic firm go under, but like Woolies (and WH Smith in a few years IMO) what it actually was for had become increasingly hard to figure out. My local one (in the nearest sizable town)was fair sized but had got rid of half it's DVD's and CD's and decided I'd much rather buy 80's Cyberman headphones, hipster band t-shirts, and books like "Twilight" and "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo". There was a more interesting selection of stuff in the CEX across the road.
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
mickinblack
Road Kill

The end or a era....
So sad really is i grew up in record shops and spent hours in them back in the 80s.

Forward and onwards
Thank you HMV for all the memories of my youth.
million voices
Slight Overbomber

As I was growing up it was mainly independent record shops. These went out of business as they were undercut and replaced by HMV and Virgin.
Virgin disappeared a few years ago, HMV is all that is left apart from one that sells CDs for a £1.
I don't really like HMV it very rarely has what I want and when it does it is cheaper at Amazon.
But I will miss that flicking through of albums.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

If one good thing can come out of this then it's that any remaining independent record shops may now be more secure (since they can try to pick up some of HMV's business).

Personally I haven't been into HMV for years (possibly even decades). But I often pop into Resident Records in Brighton to pick up a CD or two.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Beginning to wonder if there'll be any shops left in a few years time.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

stufarq wrote:Beginning to wonder if there'll be any shops left in a few years time.
:notworthy: :evil: :cry:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
moses

They were responsible for the closure of many FOP record shops and other indie stores and were always the most expensive shop around. Personally I'm glad to see them go, should have happened years ago.
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
Pista
Cureboi

moses wrote:They were responsible for the closure of many FOP record shops and other indie stores and were always the most expensive shop around.
No.
They weren't.
People stopping going to FOP & indie stores was the reason for that.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Notice in the window of Jessops in Liverpool:

https://twitter.com/7streets/status/291 ... to/1/large

(the same notice could appear in any HMV window as well, I guess - although HMV must shoulder some of the blame for failing miserably at sorting out their online presence)
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

SINsister wrote:
stufarq wrote:Beginning to wonder if there'll be any shops left in a few years time.
:notworthy: :evil: :cry:
i don't think so- Job's kids will not eat everything (at least that what i strongly believe, even that sometimes buying on line and picking up ordered stuff can be cheaper than buying that in that shop).
Victim of Circumstance
Slight Overbomber

I do remember buying some rare Depeche Mode items in coloured vinyl at HMV in the eighties and nineties. Re the Sisters, I never found anything special there. It's a bit like the closure of WOM (World of Music) in Germany, sad, but you will surely find the items offered there somewhere else...

However, I'll although miss the feeling to flip through the real stuff :|
Kommt Zeit,
kommt Rat,
kommt Attentat.
czuczu
Overbomber

I've got fond memories of HMV but they're from a long while ago. Their in-store prices, layout and stock selections have been pretty poor the last few times I ventured in for a look.
Their online sales were weird too, even though they stuck HMV on the front of a bunch of venues, they weren't capable of selling tickets to those venues without you creating a new account separate from the main HMV site :/

Jessops would be better off blaming the advent of the mobile rather than Amazon.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

million voices wrote:As I was growing up it was mainly independent record shops. These went out of business as they were undercut and replaced by HMV and Virgin.
Virgin disappeared a few years ago, HMV is all that is left apart from one that sells CDs for a £1.
I don't really like HMV it very rarely has what I want and when it does it is cheaper at Amazon.
But I will miss that flicking through of albums.
What he said. A third of their customers stopped buying physical product and downloaded instead, a second group found it cheaper to buy CDs and DVDs online, and the rest just went there originally to buy chart fodder which is now more convenient and cheaper to get from your local Tesco. Look at any High St photo of 20 years ago and there had been many casualties before the latest recession - part of the cycle really. I was (almost literally) dragged to a shopping mega centre last weekend and noticed that all the most popular stores - from Hollister to Lego - were offering a leisure experience in which the actual sale of the product was almost incidental, virtually as a souvenir. A bit like the trendy local record store bag/badge of honour thirty years ago.
mh
Above the Chemist

I bought my first ever Sisters records in HMV. Sad to see it happen, but they've just not been up to scratch lately - prices too high, poor selection and too much focus on the wrong kind of product.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Jeremiah

I was in HMV a couple of weeks ago to buy replacement rubber ring/pad type things that go on the end of the bit you stick in your ear on in-ear headphones.

Probably wouldn't have had a clue what to search for if I'd tried buying them on Amazon.. :?
Pista
Cureboi

I see a scandal brewing if they refuse to accept gift tokens.
Imagine all those who got tokens as xmas prezzies.
Could be some angry people.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Already happening I believe. HMV staff have been tweeting along the lines of "Yeah... You've lost a £20 gift voucher. I'm losing my *(*&^%%^&( job. Get over it."
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

Well, that puts some perspective on it I suppose
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Jeremiah

I'd rather be unemployed than work in HMV.

At least until the government starts making me work in Tesco for nothing. :roll:
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Jeremiah wrote:I'd rather be unemployed than work in HMV.

At least until the government starts making me work in Tesco for nothing. :roll:
I thought you lucky people had a minimum wage regulation, unlike Germany ...
DeWinter

markfiend wrote:Already happening I believe. HMV staff have been tweeting along the lines of "Yeah... You've lost a £20 gift voucher. I'm losing my *(*&^%%^&( job. Get over it."
Well, I'd snap up anyone with that attitude. Especially someone so intelligent as to publicly broadcast it..
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."