Best bassist of all time?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote:
radiojamaica wrote:
Tom Jenkinson too obscure? Getting old, Steve? ;D
He's not known as a bassist though is he? Or am I just not in the loop here?
Strange, I've always seen him as bassplayer that uses breakbeats... he really can play that jazzz

John McVie should be on the list, for sure.
in dub we trust
Emily
Road Kill

Hom_Corleone wrote:Yeah - Gallup deserves to be on there. If only for the bit at the end of 'A Forest'. :D
Yes, indeed, I totally agree on this one.

Nevertheless it was hard to make a decision in this poll. I eventually decided for Kim, just for the bass in Gouge Away.
Words are just dust in deserts of sound
Pista
Cureboi

Hom_Corleone wrote:Yeah - Gallup deserves to be on there. If only for the bit at the end of 'A Forest'. :D
Where's the "like" button?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
bearskin
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Of music that mattered to me growing up, I can definitely say that Gallup, Burnel and Foxton off that list were ones that would have instantly sprung to mind. And, of those, I'd say that Bruce Foxton is THE one that swings it for me. However, I'd say that each has identifiably fantastic impact on his band's output.

If you're going to say who would be the obvious choice - isn't it McCartney though? Nobody would really come close in terms of importance to popular music overall. I'm not saying for one moment that he's a better bass player than Bootsy Collins for example, but he is possibly the most important musician of his era (Elvis aside)

I'm shocked to see Peter Hook's omission. I would also mention the need for Robbie Shakespeare to be in there ahead of some others.

Also, and this is very personal, but I always rated Stuart Morrow's bass work.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

bearskin wrote: I'm shocked to see Peter Hook's omission. I would also mention the need for Robbie Shakespeare to be in there ahead of some others.
:notworthy:
in dub we trust
czuczu
Overbomber

Andy Rourke is another unsung hero who added so much to a bands sound. He's done sweet FA since then so difficult to vote for him..

I had to look Robbie Shakespeare up - meant nothing to me with out 'Sly &' :lol:
radiojamaica
Overbomber

czuczu wrote:I had to look Robbie Shakespeare up - meant nothing to me with out 'Sly &' :lol:
Dude! Now live with it ;D
in dub we trust
10-E Rabid
Amphetamine Filth

R.I.P Tracy Pew
"Go forth and become a happy cabbage"
10-E Rabid
Amphetamine Filth

Added note: One of thee....
"Go forth and become a happy cabbage"
bangles
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

DOZMEISTER wrote:Good to see Mick Karn (R.I.P.) there.
:notworthy:

Also nice to see John Taylor there - I always thought he was very under-rated although I have a vague recollection of Marc Reilly talking about how good he was on 6music a couple of years ago...

With the addition of Bernard Edwards, that'd be my top 3...
Pista
Cureboi

Results are in

Sit down before you read

http://www.musicradar.com/news/bass/the ... -279007/60
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Victim of Circumstance
Slight Overbomber

John Taylor with a 30%!!! vote :eek: :eek: :eek:
Kommt Zeit,
kommt Rat,
kommt Attentat.
Pista
Cureboi

Still struggling to figure out how McErsehole even made the list tbh
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

accept very few on top 10 are mostly technicians, craftsmen, who are very good at that they are/were doing/done, but didn't brought new ideas of how you can use bass as more that just strictly rhythm section, only supporting guitars and vox. but that just my opinion.
mh
Above the Chemist

Reads like a typical Q Magazine list. Simon Gallup at number 3 is just nuts (sorry Steve) - no way is he that good (and he nicked all his best lines from Hooky anyway ;D )

And speaking of which - no Hooky. For shame!
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Where does Doktor Avalanche fall on this list?
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Dr A is even above Intellectual Love God- he doesn't bother about such silly ranks.
RockNRoll Mercenary
Amphetamine Filth

It's total bollocks because Patricia isn't in the top 5 we can therefore announce this list as totally irrelevant...
'Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future'- Oscar Wilde
I'll see you tomorrow.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Goths have feelings too