Currently listening to. The expanded remastered box set.

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Andie
Overbomber

Pista wrote:
Andie wrote:Image

A couple of friends of mine have been banging on about this band since they saw them at The Austin PsychFest last week...

you'll get the hint soon enough...this is bloody brilliant 8)
Oh my!
You're not wrong.
:notworthy: :notworthy:

edit. Their online store's a bit carp though. I can't even select the album to buy it :|
Yeah it's not the easiest album in the world to get hold of...tho some thoughtful soul has uploaded the whole album to YouTube...I think I'm gonna have to pull a favour from my friend in Austin 8)
Pista
Cureboi

Andie wrote:
Yeah it's not the easiest album in the world to get hold of...tho some thoughtful soul has uploaded the whole album to YouTube...I think I'm gonna have to pull a favour from my friend in Austin 8)
I did stumble across this though

:wink:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Andie
Overbomber

Pista wrote:I did stumble across this though

:wink:
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
sultan2075
Overbomber

Dear Lord. How did I miss out on these guys? This record is utterly fantastic. Is the early stuff like this? Yow.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Pista
Cureboi

Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

was

initially intrigued, but ultimately underwhelmed. a nice, retro noise but where's the songs? :|

now

never really got talk talk at the time, but figured i'd give this a once over to see if they can change my mind... we'll see how far through it i get :|

next

guilty pleasure to make up for the pap i've waded through this morning :lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Quiff Boy wrote:now

never really got talk talk at the time, but figured i'd give this a once over to see if they can change my mind... we'll see how far through it i get :|
god that was dreary... lasted until track 4 - "chameleon day".

what a pile of turgid nonsense.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

sultan2075 wrote:Image

Dear Lord. How did I miss out on these guys? This record is utterly fantastic. Is the early stuff like this? Yow.
What is it? I'm intrigued :wink:

in dub we trust
sultan2075
Overbomber

radiojamaica wrote:
sultan2075 wrote:Image

What is it? I'm intrigued :wink:
Sonic Mass by Amebix. I'd always assumed they were boring crust-punk, so I never listened to them. I kind of stumbled on this yesterday, and I am absolutely loving it. I'll have to check out the older stuff.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
bearskin
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Andie wrote:
Pista wrote:
Andie wrote:Image

A couple of friends of mine have been banging on about this band since they saw them at The Austin PsychFest last week...

you'll get the hint soon enough...this is bloody brilliant 8)
Oh my!
You're not wrong.
:notworthy: :notworthy:

edit. Their online store's a bit carp though. I can't even select the album to buy it :|
Hmmm, I was very interested in the first couple of tracks, but after that I was just a bit bored. It reminds me a bit of average trance music done with traditional instruments. The whole hoogy-verdy-toody vocals gets my goat after a bit too.
bearskin
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

sultan2075 wrote: Dear Lord. How did I miss out on these guys? This record is utterly fantastic. Is the early stuff like this? Yow.
Lordy - Amebix! Of all the obscure bands to rise again!! They were a Bristol-ish punk band - in the Crass living-in-a-squat vein of things. Spider was a well known Bristol 'face' in the late 80s.

One thing that entertained me, as a poor northerner, was how many of the people from that scene - and when it morphed into the 'Free Party' shenanigans - were actually from wealthy backgrounds, just playing at being poor.

The time I met Banksy I kind of got that impression too - from a nice upbringing but playing at being a naughty boy. I thought one of the reasons he was so anxious to be anonymous was so his Mummy didn't find out what he'd been up to!
sultan2075
Overbomber

bearskin wrote:
sultan2075 wrote: Dear Lord. How did I miss out on these guys? This record is utterly fantastic. Is the early stuff like this? Yow.
Lordy - Amebix! Of all the obscure bands to rise again!! They were a Bristol-ish punk band - in the Crass living-in-a-squat vein of things. Spider was a well known Bristol 'face' in the late 80s.

One thing that entertained me, as a poor northerner, was how many of the people from that scene - and when it morphed into the 'Free Party' shenanigans - were actually from wealthy backgrounds, just playing at being poor.

The time I met Banksy I kind of got that impression too - from a nice upbringing but playing at being a naughty boy. I thought one of the reasons he was so anxious to be anonymous was so his Mummy didn't find out what he'd been up to!
Apparently Rob (vocals/bass) broke up the band in 87 or so, moved to Skye to make swords for a living (!), put them back together in 2009 and broke them up again in 2012. I will have to check out their earlier stuff, because I really, really like this record a lot.

We had the exact same phenomena here, actually. Squatters were, more often than not, rich kids who were slumming it. I'm inclined to say that only those who have never actually been poor romanticize poverty the way a lot of squat-punks did (at least, for the most part.
--
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Pista
Cureboi

Quiff Boy wrote:Image
Masterpiece

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

nervously checking this out:

half way thorugh track 2 and it's good so far :o

it can't last, surely? :eek: :lol:
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Yeah, I've only heard the 'Burn' track and quite liked that one... It's a start :wink:

in dub we trust
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

there's a couple of iffy tracks, and one with dreadful lyrics ("DD's" - double d's - about iggy's fondness for large breasts :urff:) but its not bad on the whole! far better than i was expecting anyway 8)
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Better than The Loudness then :innocent:
I have the LP here too, but waiting for the perfect moment to put it on...

Have you seen this btw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QGED3n9IM4
We're distributing the new album btw ;D
in dub we trust
DomConway
Filth

the only thing to fear is fear itself
radiojamaica
Overbomber

on original cassette... those do sound great! :D :notworthy:
in dub we trust
radiojamaica
Overbomber

In memory of Leo :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
in dub we trust
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

radiojamaica wrote: Image
great album :notworthy:
today was:
Beck- Mellow Gold and The Angels Light- Sing Other People
Pista
Cureboi

Simply glorious & gets all my hair standing on end in no time
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Pista
Cureboi

I'm still head over heels with this album
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Andie
Overbomber

Just finished The Psychedelic Sounds Of The 13th Floor Elevators and i'm about to give ERAAS a listen