What's a goff to do......in Fort Worth

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Pista
Cureboi

From next week, I'll be in Fort Worth (TX) & wondered if any of our Texan Heartlanders could give an old goff some pointers as to good places to go of an evening.
Or even hook up for a cold beer or three.
& yes, I fully expect all the goffs in hot weather comments.
I've seen the forecast. :eek:

:D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

who are you flying with and when? will be in Kansas next week, going on Tuesday through Chicago with UA. crossing paths anywhere?
Pista
Cureboi

Looking like Lufthansa via Frankfurt.
Either Monday or Tuesday
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

:eek:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
sultan2075
Overbomber

Fort Worth? I'm in Dallas--30-45 minutes away if traffic is good. Don't know if I can make it out to Fort Worth, though. I will see if I can arrange a trip out there.

Anyway, there is a joke in Ft. Worth:
Q: what is it the only thing that Dallas has that Ft. Worth doesn't?
A: A nice city in under an hour's drive.

I love Dallas, but there is something to that joke.

Ft. Worth is nice--it really is. Dallas is a glitzy, pretentious town full of fake tans and fake boobs. Ft. Worth is full of real people, most of whom are quite pleasant. If you've never been to Texas before, or the American West at all, I recommend that you do some of the touristy stuff in Ft. Worth--definitely visit the Stockyards. There are a lot of music venues in the area too. You should check to see if anyone is playing that you like. Ft. Worth's music scene is largely country and grunty kinds of metal (at least that's how it looks from Dallas), though there are a few goth/goth-ish bands in that neck of the woods. Jessica's Crime played out there a few years ago, with another band called Ending the Vicious Cycle (who owe a lot to the Cure and Joy Division).

As for drinks, get thee to the Flying Saucer: it is beer heaven!. Definitely try the local stuff, too--Dallas/Ft. Worth has had a real craft brewing renaissance over the last few years. I'd recommend anything by the Deep Ellum Brewing Company, Community, Peticolas, and the Lakewood Brewing Company (the Temptress imperial stout is heavenly). I'm sure there are others. There's a new brewer in Ft. Worth whose name escapes me at the moment, but they make what they call a breakfast beer that is quite good. The Rahr brewery in Ft. Worth can be hit or miss, but their Ugly Pug Black is really nice on draft.

If you are at all interested in whisky/whiskey, you should try Balcones while you are in town. They are a distiller down in Waco that have been winning a number of international competitions lately.

The Ft. Worth zoo is nice, from what I remember. They have a monkey house, and lots of bonobos, if that floats your boat. The Ft. Worth water gardens can be pleasant as well.

If you have the time and ambition, Dallas is not a long drive away. Alternatively, there is also a commuter train--the Trinity Railway Express--that runs from Ft. Worth to Dallas and connects to the DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) rail system in downtown Dallas, which would put you in my neighborhood. If you decide to head into Dallas, I'd probably be back downtown around 3:00 PM or so most days of the week.

When specifically will you be there? What is your schedule like?
Pista wrote: I've seen the forecast. :eek:

Be glad it's June and not August.

Also: here's a link to Ft. Worth's "alternative newsweekly": http://www.fwweekly.com/
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Pista
Cureboi

Wow!
Thanks for the tips :notworthy:
I'll be there for the foreseeable future it seems. An ESTA allows me 3 months & I am also hoping to head down to Austin for a party with some friends on 15th (if I haven't been deported :lol: ).
Not sure what time I'll finish work of a day at the moment, so I'll have to come back to you on that, but if Dallas is less than an hour away, I will certainly get my goff erse on a train :D
I'll know more when I get stuck in at the office, but standby for a PM.
I reckon I will get a US sim card so I don't rack up roaming charges & I'll be in touch with a contact number & we can sample some of these brewskies perhaps.
Thanks again so much for the info.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
sultan2075
Overbomber

Pista wrote:Wow!
Thanks for the tips :notworthy:
I'll be there for the foreseeable future it seems. An ESTA allows me 3 months & I am also hoping to head down to Austin for a party with some friends on 15th (if I haven't been deported :lol: ).
Not sure what time I'll finish work of a day at the moment, so I'll have to come back to you on that, but if Dallas is less than an hour away, I will certainly get my goff erse on a train :D
I'll know more when I get stuck in at the office, but standby for a PM.
I reckon I will get a US sim card so I don't rack up roaming charges & I'll be in touch with a contact number & we can sample some of these brewskies perhaps.
Thanks again so much for the info.
Glad I could help--I initially thought that you were only here for a few days. We'll definitely have to get together at some point if you're here for the foreseeable future. Just let me know.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Pista
Cureboi

I arrived.
The DHS pooters all fell over, making immigration 50x longer than normal :|
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Andie
Overbomber

Pista wrote:I arrived.
The DHS pooters all fell over, making immigration 50x longer than normal :|
Where's the bar?? 8) :lol:
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

I had bad turbulance again from Chicago to Kansas man I can't stand this stuff. how was your flight?
Pista
Cureboi

Flight was very cramped for a 9 hour flight.
Lucky I go up & did a bit of walking about though.

@Andie.
I went to reception & asked if they had a bar & they gave me a basket ball.
:lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Pista
Cureboi

but their Ugly Pug Black is really nice on draft.
Had it bottled & it was really cool

Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
sultan2075
Overbomber

Pista wrote:
but their Ugly Pug Black is really nice on draft.
Had it bottled & it was really cool

Yeah, it's a nice beer. I've had others from them that have left me unmoved, but that's a really nice one. The DFW independent brewery scene has really taken off nicely in the last year--it seems like there's a new brewery every month around here.

Glad you got in safely!
--
Pista
Cureboi

Thanks M.
Good tip that was :notworthy:

Just finished my first day & met a guy from SC who is staying at the hotel over the road.
They have a nice draught bock over there, so will be toddling over for a tipple in a bit ;D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
sultan2075
Overbomber

Pista wrote:Thanks M.
Good tip that was :notworthy:

Just finished my first day & met a guy from SC who is staying at the hotel over the road.
They have a nice draught bock over there, so will be toddling over for a tipple in a bit ;D
Shiner, I hope? I practically bathed in the stuff in college.
--