27-06-92 NEC

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
GlosGoth
Road Kill

hello

long time since posted... :roll:

21 years since the NEC Arena gig (Von, Bruhn, Brincheno) the last of the VT era line-up.

can anyone still remember the gig? one of my favourites and still have the white t-shirt somewhere with 27.6.92 across the back.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Oh aye. Everyone queueing at the end to get their studded belts back :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
GlosGoth
Road Kill

:eek: markfiend - we joined this forum almost the same date..

you got 16 thousand posts

I got 40... :lol:
Pista
Cureboi

I remember it fondly & yes, I remember queuing for my bullet belt.
I had one of the t shirts too, but that's long since disintegrated
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
bookish
Road Kill

My favourite ever Sisters gig. The choice of song selection to open was just fantastic.

Comfortably Numb
SKOS
1st and Last
Ribbons
Alice
Dominion
Body Electric

It just doesn't get better than that (for me).

21 years eh? Time flies.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

GlosGoth wrote::eek: markfiend - we joined this forum almost the same date..

you got 16 thousand posts

I got 40... :lol:
Ah well, I'm a gobshite ;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
czuczu
Overbomber

I have some photo's somewhere, will try and dig them out. Don't get too excited - they're s**t ;D
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I knew it was going to be a good one when they opened with Comfortably Numb... although lots of the people around me didn't seem to recognise it. :roll:
—Bertrand Russell
radiojamaica
Overbomber

GlosGoth wrote:hello

long time since posted... :roll:

21 years since the NEC Arena gig (Von, Bruhn, Brincheno) the last of the VT era line-up.
Well my friend that sounds very good & all, but here's another of those pesky Belgians out to correct ya: the last of the VT era line up was the gig at Pukkelpop, Hasselt at the end of august. I appologise for possible buble-bursting and also for my behaviour.

But, that tour was a great one indeed! :D :notworthy:
in dub we trust
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

I was in the belt q too ! A great performance despite the appalling acoustics and the yellow coat. I have a recollection of CNN playing that night but the wiki reminds me it was Tim's brother Toby's insipid band Sunshot (who were terrible, as were industrial "supergroup" Murder Inc., whose set never really got going) so I must have seen CNN (before they added the X for legal reasons) someplace else that year.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:I knew it was going to be a good one when they opened with Comfortably Numb... although lots of the people around me didn't seem to recognise it. :roll:
I was quite looking forward to Comfortably Numb, as the cat had been let out of the bag somewhat by the Kerrrrang! article that had appeared a few weeks prior (seriously? Kerrrrang!? Was that the only publication whose teapot :von: hadn't taken a crap in?!) alluded to it.

Rather less pleased with the audience reaction to Stop Dragging My Heart Around - remember boos and cries of "fuck off!" :roll:
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
bangles
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Yup a fantastic gig. One of my, if not favourite Sisters gigs ever. Great set list & light show. Even now, a recent check on my most played on my ipod, showed the Numb/SKOS intro to be my most listened to Sisters songs...

I remember getting there very early due to a late night ferry crossing. So early the security thought I was part of the crew. The guy ended up giving me a tour of the place & telling stories about bands that had played there: U2 -nightmare, something to do with wanton do-goodery which posed security problems, Cliff Richard - great for the fans, signed everything & chatted for ages, Bowie - very aloof and distant, unlike Rod Stewart who was the best as he came out and played football with everyone!
Sadly his thoughts on the Sisters remained a mystery. He changed shifts & in doing, so ruined my best chance ever of blagging my way backstage.
Asperum Aestimate Fimi Aliquid Hodie
Pista
Cureboi

markfiend wrote:I knew it was going to be a good one when they opened with Comfortably Numb... although lots of the people around me didn't seem to recognise it. :roll:
The guy I went with (now deceased) had been in a The Wall groove for a week or so prior to the gig & Comfortably Numb was a bit of a mindblower to open with
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

92 was a peak. The concert at the loreley a week prior to nec for sure was my most intense sisters experience, simply supernatural. And i love the nec recording. What a night. People were moved back then.
love is just a shot away
giftengel
Road Kill

aye was a great night

didn't he say Alice was for the girl in the white dress as always ,,, she was stood in front of me in a wedding dress with a black sash

and he spoke in German for a while when everyone clapped he said "f**k off you didn't know what I said " or something like that
"Life in the so called space age"
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

'you're always 10 years too late'

liked all the elroids who were caught out by the recent change of look and struggling to keep their jeans up after having bullet belts taken away. the helicopters flying in at the end of the gig - that was awsome too
Goths have feelings too
BigPhil
Amphetamine Filth

paint it black wrote:'you're always 10 years too late'
too early :innocent:
bangles
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

BigPhil wrote:
paint it black wrote:'you're always 10 years too late'
too early :innocent:
The funniest thing to me about that, was obviously they'd selected the intro of 1959 to be played before 1969. Did he really think that it would be that funny to go through the trouble of getting the DAT or whatever the sample was on?

Loved though the interlinking of Driven Like The Snow. It's always a treat when he does the mini-mash-ups (other noteable - Silver Machine/Under The Gun) although, I wonder though if it's totally random or (much like the above gut-buster) pre-planned? I do get the sense that :von: never did anything out of the blue... (woh-o-oh, woh-o-oh)
Pista
Cureboi

bangles wrote: I do get the sense that :von: never did anything out of the blue... (woh-o-oh, woh-o-oh)
But is that him or is that the fact he has to rely on pre-programmed drum patterns (& now bass patterns)?
I guess it's hard to hurl a curve ball in there if you're relying on tech to drive the songs.
Stop Draggin' was out of the blue, but it was without any instruments whatsoever.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markreed
Amphetamine Filth

It was a STUNNING gig. What a way to lose your Sisters Virginity. The bootleg tape I played to death, and is still one of the best shows I've objectively heard.

http://www.thefinalword.co.uk/content/view/15/ - as I wrote at the time.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

markreed wrote:It was a STUNNING gig. What a way to lose your Sisters Virginity. The bootleg tape I played to death, and is still one of the best shows I've objectively heard.

http://www.thefinalword.co.uk/content/view/15/ - as I wrote at the time.
Wow, nicely written ... :notworthy: ... I link that to the Wiki, if you don't mind ... :?:
markreed
Amphetamine Filth

Sure! My typing has improved somewhat since 1992...
Being645
Wiki Wizard

markreed wrote:Sure! My typing has improved somewhat since 1992...
Fine, thank you ... I've revised the page and set a link there ... :D ...
robertzombie
Overbomber

Are there any photos from this show?