WINDOWS MEDIA AUDIO

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
million voices
Slight Overbomber

This is a computer question.
I know nothing about computers and am writing this very slowly so I understand what I am saying.
On a file sharing site "Sugarmegs" which although it doesn't really have much goff - the closest they come is "Sister Sparrow and the Dirty Birds" (go figure) it does have other stuff of interest but the files are in WMA and when I copy them on to disc the sound is speeded up. So I have to change them to MP3 before I commit them to disc.
Can anybody tell me in words of one syllable or less what a WMA is and should I be having this problem and is there an easy way round it.
Bless you and yours for any advice or solutions offered.
Thanks
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Are you burning this as an audio CD or a data disk? Also, what application are you using to do the burning?
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

million voices wrote:This is a computer question.
Can anybody tell me in words of one syllable or less what a WMA is
It's a Windows Media Audio file, designed to be played on Windows Media Player (as are WMV ie Windows Media Video) but in practice they'll play on most media players. Very common file type.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I should have mentioned - I am using "Winamp" and am burning it as an audio CD.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Could be related to the speed of your burn - as I understand it, the higher the speed the more likely it is that you will get errors. I'd also be inclined to try a different app (like Audacity) and make sure your burner's firmware is current.

Alternatively, if you can avoid burning to physical media - if you have an MP3 player you should be able to hook it up to your music system very easily (assuming that your system has RCA inputs) - a stereo jack>rca cable is easily available, plug the mp3 player in and you're away.
Hank Moody
Pista
Cureboi

I'd agree with EB

I wouldn't burn discs with a WMA in the first place.
It's a compressed format file and specifically created for windows media player.
But if you can hook your empee3 player or even your pooter up to your hifi, you can save yourself the hassle of burning anything.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Dan
Overbomber

It'll be to do with the sugarmegs wma files being 22khz whereas the standard is 44khz, so something is getting messed up when you're converting it.

Sugarmegs gets all his stuff from torrent sites, Dime and others, then converts them to horrible little bad sounding wma files. Lately he's also been offering his files as higher bitrate mp3 files, but get this - he makes the mp3's by converting the wma's! The guys a nuisance, I wish he'd do it properly.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Dan wrote:Sugarmegs gets all his stuff from torrent sites, Dime and others, then converts them to horrible little bad sounding wma files. Lately he's also been offering his files as higher bitrate mp3 files, but get this - he makes the mp3's by converting the wma's! The guys a nuisance, I wish he'd do it properly.
That's just evil.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
million voices
Slight Overbomber

Thank-you for the time, knowledge and most of all patience. I have learned a lot.

Whenever I see a bootleg on the net that I haven't got (that I want) the eventual aim is to copy it on to disc, create some kind of cover, probably only play it the once and then file it away with all the others. I have this compulsion to collect.

It has never crossed my mind to hook up my computer to the stereo.

To save me a lot of grief and effort what I need is some cabling and some therapy.

Again, many thanks
Dan
Overbomber

million voices wrote:It has never crossed my mind to hook up my computer to the stereo.
Mine's always been connected to my stereo. When I got my first pc I realised I needed sound and could have bought come crappy little pc speakers, but it was easier to get the correct lead and connect it to my hifi.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

million voices wrote:Whenever I see a bootleg on the net that I haven't got (that I want) the eventual aim is to copy it on to disc, create some kind of cover, probably only play it the once and then file it away with all the others. I have this compulsion to collect.

It has never crossed my mind to hook up my computer to the stereo.
Nothing wrong with a hoarding compulsion - I've enjoyed one for years :lol: . It was only when I realised that burning video or music to disk cost a small fortune in media, frequently resulted in media that I couldn't use in DVD and CD players, and was doing nothing better than increasing Ikea's sales (I was down there every other week buying new bookshelves to store the crap) that I took a deep breath and went "all digital" (ripped the DVDs and CDs to hard drive, backed it up, gave the disks to my sister (she's got more storage space than I do, and if she chooses to sell them then the law will come after her, not me. Space-shifting isn't illegal).

Assuming you have a "normal" audio-out on your computer (standard stereo socket), one of these will sort you out:

And you'll get better sound reproduction out of the cheapest stereo system than you will out of similar computer speakers.
Hank Moody
Dan
Overbomber

Yep, thats the lead I use. Plus when I encode audio to pc I use the same lead, I just have to unplug it and plug it into different sockets.