Not Worth Touring?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/shortcu ... y-gone-out

Interesting in a Sisters context. If Mozzer can't afford to tour extensively, what of :von: Maybe tis no longer viable to do more than the occasional gig.
The Chancer Corporation
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

abridged wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/shortcu ... y-gone-out

Interesting in a Sisters context. If Mozzer can't afford to tour extensively, what of :von: Maybe tis no longer viable to do more than the occasional gig.
Maybe people don't want him anymore, because of the demands he asks on tour, eg to close up all food stalls serving meat during his concerts?

I'm not really a Mozzer fan, and that's quite the euphemism, but an artist asking such things should be worth the effort, Rihanna and Mariah Carey can ask weird stuff, because they have albums on the shelf and songs in the charts...

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

So there's no money in touring, making new albums is now longer cost effective. What sources of income are left for a band apart from licensing the back catalogue for dodgy soundtracks if you're lucky/clever enough to still own it.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

i guess that you can make money on touring, if only you have a place to play and audience that buy tickets.
but for small not to well known as Moz, break even is good enough.
bangles
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I think the point they made about his outburst over the last few years will certainly have alienated some people from going to see him - beyond the hard core fans. If you ask people do they want to go see just about any alternative act from the 80's, you don't end up in a conversation about extremist carnivore hating or racism ...

On the original point, the guardian also had threw out a few figures recently on how much bands made from touring - although this was subsequently rebuffed in John Robb's site...

http://louderthanwar.com/spotify-pay-sh ... -earnings/
Asperum Aestimate Fimi Aliquid Hodie
Pista
Cureboi

When was the last time he toured?
Doesn't he keep cancelling them to wear cats on his head or something?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

the last one (before that) was cancelled due to some (real) health problem.
Hunslet Ramone
Amphetamine Filth

To be honest don't think it was too long ago when he toured, and lets be honest here, he has never hid behind smoke machines like the sisters do now in their last 10 to 15 years of touring. If they were playing at all in that time.

Maybe Eldritch neds a cat on his bald head to come out of the smoke.
Not knocking the sisters just I remember the good times of Wembley 1990.
I go to gigs, and if there is any money left, I eat
Hunslet Ramone
Amphetamine Filth

Correction, I mean the last 10 years of the Sisters touring.
I go to gigs, and if there is any money left, I eat
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Hunslet Ramone wrote: Not knocking the sisters just I remember the good times of Wembley 1990.
The main difference between then and now is of course the lack of live bass, which results in the complaints of (non-obsessive) reviewers that they are just a "playback" band nowadays, doing live vocals and guitar over a backing track. As a neutral, would you pay £30 to see a band where 50% of the sound seemed to emanate from a few Apple Macs ?
million voices
Slight Overbomber

They obviously suffer from a lack of live bass.
But their biggest problem is a lack of enthusiasm. If I get bored hearing the same set-list, tour after tour. Think how they must get night after night, year after year churning out the same old stuff.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

million voices wrote:They obviously suffer from a lack of live bass.
...I'm sat waiting for the call, Thunderbird at the ready.
Four strings good, six strings bad
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Norman Hunter wrote:
million voices wrote:They obviously suffer from a lack of live bass.
...I'm sat waiting for the call, Thunderbird at the ready.
And it's not as if you don't know the songs. I can't imagine Craig or Patricia ever returning, but things seem quiet on the Sputnik front these days so TJ might be available. He probably qualifies for a senior railcard by now so the extra travelling expenses wouldn't amount to much.
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:And it's not as if you don't know the songs.
Luckily I've got a Real Job, so don't hold out waiting for Marching On Together to eminate from my Nokia. Even if it did, I'd have to clear it with Tim, Matt and Al first to see if I could be freed from my comittments to The Marching Men.

And The Wife.

But not neccessarily in that order.
Four strings good, six strings bad