At the World's End

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Silver_Owl
The Don

splintered thing wrote:There are three big posters on the railway tunnel outside my office..... I have an unnatural desire to pull one down just to rescue the T-shirt. I think there is something wrong with me :lol:
Do it. :twisted:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

moses wrote:I heard years ago that he refused to let 'This Corrosion' be used on the Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, that would have kept him in Malboro till deathday. Strange that he allows the track to be used in a film which bolsters the Sisters' goth image.
Are we talking the Ninja Turtles film in the early 1990s? What :von: would and would not allow then are entirely different beasts than they might be today, In 1991 Visioin Thing and More troubled (at least) the lower reaches of the top 20 IIRC. Whereas now...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
NickW
Amphetamine Filth

Actually want to go and see the movie but dreading someone seing me and assuming I'm only going to watch it because of the sisters references
Just one of the pesky kids
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Hom_Corleone wrote:
splintered thing wrote:There are three big posters on the railway tunnel outside my office..... I have an unnatural desire to pull one down just to rescue the T-shirt. I think there is something wrong with me :lol:
Do it. :twisted:
Absolutely supported! Do it ... and send it to me ... ;D ;D ;D ... :lol: ...
sandy666
Road Kill

dreading someone seing me and assuming I'm only going to watch it because of the sisters references
The only person who'd do that would be someone who'd have gone to see the film for the Sister's references for themselves.

You'd never know, you could have ice cream together and it would be the start of a beautiful relationship. :D [/quote]
Perki
Amphetamine Filth

I loved this, but I was bound to :P It was far sadder than I expected but maybe I'm just being a sap.

I thought I'd recap all the Sisters related bits for anyone who can't/isn't going to see it. Spoiler alert for anyone who's intending to.

Pegg's character (Gary) wears the Sisters t-shirt for most of the film and has a head and star tattooed on his chest ("I still like The Sisters of Mercy!" "Good, otherwise you'd never go swimming.")

This Corrosion plays twice in the film and also plays over the credits. The chorus is used when Gary meets the robot version of his younger self, and the beginning of the song plays during the post-apocalyptic epilogue when you see Gary roaming the destroyed country carrying a sword and dressed like FALAA-era Eldritch. Nice touch.
NickW
Amphetamine Filth

[The only person who'd do that would be someone who'd have gone to see the film for the Sister's references for themselves.

You'd never know, you could have ice cream together and it would be the start of a beautiful relationship. :D [/quote][/quote]

The fact I went to see it when there was only 6 other people in the cinema and they were all coupled up certainly put a brake on that idea :)

As a film its ok not an oscar winner but i will sit through a hell of a lot worse this year
Just one of the pesky kids
abridged
Slight Overbomber

I was in the bar last night and some guy came up to me and said there's someone dressed just like you in World's End. Sister's shirts enter the public consciousness. Jeepers. :wink:
The Chancer Corporation
Doktor Gravlax
Road Kill

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:Was there not a genuine Temple of Love ale someone posted a link to last year ?
IIRC it was described as having a "bittersweet" taste !
I saw this in my local about a month ago:

Ordered it immediately, plus two more for my mates. The barman said "You know this is £7 a pint?" Ouch. Maybe Von is diversifying his revenue streams - movies and booze - so he won't have to tour.

(Seems it was brewed by some Italian SoM fans http://www.portstreetbeerhouse.co.uk/bl ... of-madness )
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

:notworthy: Thanks for the photo and for sharing the link.
The tasting notes say that it is "quite complex with very good bitterness".
Can't imagine what made them think of :von: !
Doktor Gravlax
Road Kill

Haha, hadn't noticed that! Well spotted!
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Doktor Gravlax wrote:Ordered it immediately, plus two more for my mates. The barman said "You know this is £7 a pint?"
Well, the barman wasn't going to give it away, now was he? :lol:
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Gripper
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

:eek:

Sorry. But I had to...it's a bit hot in Cap d'Agde just now. I struggled to find pointy sandals with a cuban heel. Very pleased with the tee though.

My car's faster than your mum, but not as dirty.
Syberberg

Gripper wrote::eek:

Sorry. But I had to...it's a bit hot in Cap d'Agde just now. I struggled to find pointy sandals with a cuban heel. Very pleased with the tee though.

At least you're not wearing socks with those sandals. :wink:
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
Rise891
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Went and saw this tonight. This Corrosion plays 3 different times in the film. And it was quite funny
I am NOT in the cool club
RockNRoll Mercenary
Amphetamine Filth

Where did you get the T Shirt from?
'Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future'- Oscar Wilde
I'll see you tomorrow.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Film apparently doing great business in USA and virtually every review mentions the TSOM shirt as if the band are a household name there.
Some of you may have missed the following Twitter exchange the other night :

Simon Pegg : Tonight my LA, World's End premiere outfit will be based on The Sisters of Mercy's Andrew Eldritch in the video for The Sisters of Mercy's Dominion. I thank you.
Chris Catalyst : You should have said, we would have sent you the actual suit.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I saw that :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:I saw that :lol:
I note that Simon didn't reply to Chris or RT. Probably doesn't know who he is !
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I had a faint idea Simon Pegg might be on HL... Obviously not.
—Bertrand Russell
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

markfiend wrote:I had a faint idea Simon Pegg might be on HL... Obviously not.
There's a Simon Pig tho. Close enough. ;)

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Heartless
Amphetamine Filth

The Icelandic distributor actually pulled that movie from release over here for some reason unknown to me.
No shade of anything can make a good summer over here.
Garbageman

Saw it yesterday and enjoyed it. Any movie that starts with Primal Scream and ends with the Girls must be OK.
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:

IZ.
I see what you did there ;D
—Bertrand Russell
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

markfiend wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:

IZ.
I see what you did there ;D
;D

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...