Question for techies

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

I have an HD in an external enclosure that connects to the mains with a powerpack. Recently the powerpack overheated and no longer works. I've tried the HD in a different enclosure but nothing happens, not even any sounds of the drive trying to work. Presumably the power socket's fried too.

Is there any possibility that the data (which includes a lot of SOM boots) is still okay and recoverable? If so, how would I go about it (without sending it to one of those companies that charges a small country's national debt for the service)?
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

It's possible that your drive is still ok - you could try using a drive dock (like this) which would be an inexpensive way to check it - enclosures die on me with sickening regularity but the disks don't appear to suffer. If the drive can't be read because the interface is fried, then the only alternative is to drop $1000 or so on a professional service like DriveSavers.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Pista
Cureboi

Sounds like the power circuit's frazzled, but the disc could still be intact.
It shouldn't be a biggy to have the power circuit board fixed (if you know any electronics buffs, they might be able to coax it back to life) & once you do, get all the data off the HD & onto a new one (or alternative storage medium) as there's no telling when it's going to go again.
I had a HDD & plugged the wrong AC lead into it one day & "bzzzt.....smoke.."
Luckily I was working for an electronics company & one of the techs was able to get it back on its feet in under an hour.
I went straight to the shops & bought a new HDD & spent the night moving all my stuff (a lot of The Cure shows) before ditching the old drive.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Thanks guys.

@EvilBastard
If the power socket on the HD is fried, would a drive dock be aby use?

@Pista
Can I buy a replacement power circuit or do I need to find someone who can repair it for me?
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Pista wrote:"bzzzt.....smoke.."
The reason for this is that contrary to the theories of modern physics, all electronic equipment actually runs on magic smoke. This can be demonstrated by the fact that once the magic smoke escapes, your equipment won't work any more.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
EvilBastard
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
The reason for this is that contrary to the theories of modern physics, all electronic equipment actually runs on magic smoke. This can be demonstrated by the fact that once the magic smoke escapes, your equipment won't work any more.
:notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy:
Hank Moody
EvilBastard
Overbomber

stufarq wrote:Thanks guys.

@EvilBastard
If the power socket on the HD is fried, would a drive dock be aby use?
Ah, if the power interface on the HD is toast then the dock won't be any use at all. Figured the dock would be a cheap way to work out what you fried and whether you needed to take the disk to the comupter hospital.

I'm with Pista - if you do manage to get the data off the disk, replace it ASAP. My preference would be to use Networked Attached Storage, maybe one that has a streaming media facility so you can play your boots over the network, backed-up on a USB-powered drive like the WD Passport.
Hank Moody
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

markfiend wrote:
So where can I buy some magic smoke. Do they stock it in PC World?
EvilBastard
Overbomber

stufarq wrote:So where can I buy some magic smoke. Do they stock it in PC World?
Front row of a Sisters gig is normally a good source for magic smoke - perhaps you might prevail upon them to tour, and then bring along an empty jamjar or similar to collect some...
Hank Moody
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

EvilBastard wrote:
stufarq wrote:So where can I buy some magic smoke. Do they stock it in PC World?
Front row of a Sisters gig is normally a good source for magic smoke - perhaps you might prevail upon them to tour, and then bring along an empty jamjar or similar to collect some...
Good call. Clearing some of that smoke will allow more people to actually see the gig. And possibly hear it too.