With regards from steven fry

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
LyanvisAberrant
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

LyanvisAberrant wrote:http://www.stephenfry.com/2013/08/07/an ... d-the-ioc/

Brilliant man :notworthy:
Absolutely ... :notworthy: :notworthy: ...
nowayjose

A well written article and I generally agree with his stance but not with the conclusion. Sports and politics should not mix. Calling off the Olympics, if it were at all possible, would just drive Russia and 'the West' further into a new cold war, which is the last thing that would help Russian liberals.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

I'm agree with every word. Sport and politic go hand in hand. All that pictures of politics with (winning) sportmen/women (to refresh momory of Brits: Cameron on Wimlbedon's final match; same thing happens in each and one country in the world). But just one fact from 2008 - Olympiade in Beijing, a capital of state far worst that Russia when it comes to respecting human rights (in our way of seeing them, and UN which member is PRC). And that makes me sure that none will listen and take his letter/article serious. Sadly. It's business baby and money is all we care about.
Not to mention a very obvious, that in times like this, when very few are sure about their economical safe position, evil is rising, and feeding with fear of other insecurity.
million voices
Slight Overbomber

Extremely well put but..

If Britain was to have nothing to do with those countries that offended Human Rights then we would end up only trading with some old lady in Luxembourg via e-bay.

If they hadn't had the 1936 Olympics then one wouldn't have had the spectacle of Jesse Owens going "f**k you Adolf" - even if he couldn't vote or p*ss in the same toilet as other folk when he got back home.

What would have made more sense in 1936 would to have got all butch when Hitler re-militarised the Rhineland - but that didn't happen.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Inglese is not my first language, but where Fry calls for boycot or stop trading with Russia? He reffers to deals with Gazprom and Rosnieft, but it's still about Winter Olympic in Sochi.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Of course, the other problem with a boycott would be that you'd have to ask why there was no boycott of the London 2012 Olympics considering we have several laws that are widely considered to breach human rights.

And many believe that it would be more productive to send gay athletes and presenters to the games and make some sort of stand. (Although I haven't heard anyone making a practical suggestion as to what sort of stand.)

But yes, Russian anti-gay laws: appalling. Stephen Fry: national treasure.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
nowayjose

stufarq wrote: And many believe that it would be more productive to send gay athletes and presenters to the games and make some sort of stand. (Although I haven't heard anyone making a practical suggestion as to what sort of stand.)
You mean..

the Black Russian?

Baldrick... fetch my coat.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

stufarq wrote: And many believe that it would be more productive to send gay athletes and presenters to the games and make some sort of stand. (Although I haven't heard anyone making a practical suggestion as to what sort of stand.)
first thing first, coming out of closet is not very popular in sport world, but maybe you suggest to find just gay who happens to exercise some winter sports, amateurs i guess.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I think several male figure-skaters competing in the winter Olympics are openly gay. And that's just one sport.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell