Centre Speaker for a Yamaha-DSP A5

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
James Blast
Banned

Looked online for a speaker and they're all just red wire on speaker to red on amp, black wire on speaker to black on amp. But when I turn my amp round and have a good look, it's red and black phono's on the way out...
Not just a barewire connect.

Heaulp!
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

James Blast wrote:Looked online for a speaker and they're all just red wire on speaker to red on amp, black wire on speaker to black on amp. But when I turn my amp round and have a good look, it's red and black phono's on the way out...
Not just a barewire connect.

Heaulp!
Got a pic of your behind? It might help :)

Seriously tho, if you are a bit handy with soldering or you know someone who is, it's not too difficult to melt a speaker wire to an RCA plug.

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
James Blast
Banned

I'll point ye at ma erse, standby ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Izzy HaveMercy

James Blast wrote:I'll point ye at ma erse, standby ;D
Takes a bit to load I see, I'll look into it ;)

IZ.
Izzy HaveMercy

Ok, gottit, what do you want to connect? a pair of speakers of one of those fancy surround stuff/sub bass box?

Normal speakers are to be connected to Main Speaker A or B, and they accept a normal speaker wire, not RCA. just twist the end pf the speaker cable till you get a nice and erect piece of copper, put into the screw and tighten.

IZ.
James Blast
Banned

Main A+B are filled with my glorious, vintage Goodmans (that's right 4 of em), the sub has an huge phono, it's these pesky centre speaker dudes that are dicking me off! The rear set are just wire to wire and I'm getting them set up next week but I still have 2 sets of speakers I dunno what to do with...
~ Peter Steele
Izzy HaveMercy

There's the soldering trick to be done then.

IZ.
James Blast
Banned

A man can never have too many speakers.
~ Peter Steele
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I have a Yamaha DSP-A590 amp. Had it years. I originally got it for the TV but I now I just it for the stereo. You can run many appliances through it. Bloody wonderful
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
James Blast
Banned

million voices wrote:Bloody wonderful
NO! it's an epic amp, you need to dig into its presets, you have no idea what a change they can make to your listening pleasure :D :D :D
~ Peter Steele
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Don't overthink the thing, Blasty-kins.

Top Tip: buy a set of RCA cables with plugs on both ends, and cut the plugs off one end, peel back the plastic sheath to expose the wire, and Bob's yer wotsit.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Izzy HaveMercy

EvilBastard wrote:Don't overthink the thing, Blasty-kins.

Top Tip: buy a set of RCA cables with plugs on both ends, and cut the plugs off one end, peel back the plastic sheath to expose the wire, and Bob's yer wotsit.
And make sure the connection is fine, or you'l have a nice drone/noise record whenever you put on Type O (oh wait...) :)

IZ.
million voices
Slight Overbomber

The presets are amazing
I have a bootleg of Wrathchild at the Sea Cadet Hall Cambridge - you press "Concert Hall" and it sounds as if they are playing Madison Square Gardens
Gorecki's 3rd Symphony is probably THE saddest piece of music you will ever hear. Everytime I play it I cry. It is too sad to have at your own funeral - press the "disco" effect and you just want to get up and dance.
I am probably overegging it but you get the idea.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Pista
Cureboi

James Blast wrote:Main A+B are filled with my glorious, vintage Goodmans (that's right 4 of em), the sub has an huge phono, it's these pesky centre speaker dudes that are dicking me off! The rear set are just wire to wire and I'm getting them set up next week but I still have 2 sets of speakers I dunno what to do with...
Hold the phone!
I just read this & there is a standard cable connection option for the centre (see page 9). You can even rig 2 centres should you have the speakers.
The RCA connectors would only be line level & would plug into another amp (if you had an active centre channel).
:D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Izzy HaveMercy

Pista wrote:
James Blast wrote:Main A+B are filled with my glorious, vintage Goodmans (that's right 4 of em), the sub has an huge phono, it's these pesky centre speaker dudes that are dicking me off! The rear set are just wire to wire and I'm getting them set up next week but I still have 2 sets of speakers I dunno what to do with...
Hold the phone!
I just read this & there is a standard cable connection option for the centre (see page 9). You can even rig 2 centres should you have the speakers.
The RCA connectors would only be line level & would plug into another amp (if you had an active centre channel).
Yes, but THAT is the DSP A590, James has the DSP A5, or so he told me (also see the title), the connections look different...

IZ.
Izzy HaveMercy

But now I see, JAMES... you have the option for either a wire centre speaker connection OR an RCA speaker connection... The wire connection is right next to the Rear Speakers connection...

The RCA connection for Center Speaker is next to THAT...

IZ.
Pista
Cureboi

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
Yes, but THAT is the DSP A590, James has the DSP A5, or so he told me (also see the title), the connections look different...

IZ.
Just noticed that :oops:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:But now I see, JAMES... you have the option for either a wire centre speaker connection OR an RCA speaker connection... The wire connection is right next to the Rear Speakers connection...

The RCA connection for Center Speaker is next to THAT...
's korrekt! see pages 10 & 14

Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
James Blast
Banned

Thankee.
~ Peter Steele