Ever play an ellpee at the wrong speed n' not really notice?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
James Blast
Banned

Guilty!

Sometime back in the progressive mists of time (the 70s), I played side 2 of King Crimson's "Starless and Bible Black" on 45rpm instead of 33 and I didn't notice it until Fripp's wigout about 4mins from the end! :eek:

there was also a Tangerine Dream 12" called "Speed" that snouded fine at either 45 or 33
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Pista
Cureboi

:lol: :lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Since I was into Spazztic Blurr, Doom, Doctor and the Crippens, Napalm Death and stuff, this sounded quite OK to me back in the days....

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Izzy HaveMercy

Izzy HaveMercy

James Blast
Banned

Woah Boy! :eek:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
mh
Above the Chemist

If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
James Blast
Banned

I'll take that as a no then Michael :(
~ Peter Steele
mh
Above the Chemist

Wel it's Sonic Boom; anyone with a hoover can do the same. ;)
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
bearskin
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

During a DJ Set at the old Tropic Club in Bristol I once played almost all of a record at the wrong speed. I was very drunk and the headphones were buggered tho...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I did it with the Sisterhood Gift actually, 1st time I listened to it I put it on at 45. The "two five zero zero zero" intro sounds like Pinky and Perky. ;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
sultan2075
Overbomber

Somewhere, I stumbled on a version of Shriekback's The Mercy Dash played at 33 RPM. It is, quite honestly, fantastic.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
flakk13
Amphetamine Filth

I used to play the B-side of Autobahn by Kraftwerk on 45rpm. Otherwise it sounded so dull...
radiojamaica
Overbomber

The Pure Phase ep by Spiritualized.
But yeah, that's made for that... A great DJ tool!

Back in the day when Aphex Twin came with a new record every other week (mid nineties) at times I didn't know what speed to play some of those records. Both 33 and 45 sounded wicked :D

There's the good story of how New Beat started in Belgian discotheques in the eighties. They started playing some electro/dance twelves at a slower speed so the sound got deeper and heavier, especially the drums & bass sounds... This one is always said to be the one after which everything changed in that scene:
A Split Second - Flesh
at the intended 45rpm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnmTtC7A_qc
slowed down to 33 +8: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iBZtSPl7WU
in dub we trust
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

i played the 12" of "sebastien" by sex gang children at 33rpm by mistake and thought it was a bit naff, but ok in places. it was the first time i'd heard the band or the song which, when played at the correct speed, sounded utterly more ridiculous.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
James Blast
Banned

Six Grown Children are dreadful wank, I know I saw them back in't day :oops: :evil:
~ Peter Steele
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Culture Club would have been called Sex Gang Children if wiser heads than Boy George's hadn't prevailed.

Andi Sex Gang basically said "George, if you're not using the name can we?" and the rest is... erm... history.

Here ends number 93 in a continuing series of "shıte you wish markfiend hadn't bothered telling you". :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
eastmidswhizzkid

so instead of being known to sun readers and the like as "that bloody puff who says he's a boy but looks like a bird" George could have been "that bloody puff who looks like a woman but says he's a boy when really he's a man who thinks its ok to have sex with kids". :lol: :urff:

markfiend
goriller of form 3b

You forgot "smackhead" or "junkie" ;)

Edit to add: there should probably also be a "troubled" in there.
—Bertrand Russell
eastmidswhizzkid

"troubled" would indicate an understanding and level of awareness that is frankly missing from the mindsets of the retards i was emulating...after all, "he's a bender, inneh?" indeed. :urff: :roll:

markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I see your point. I stand corrected.

:urff: indeed
—Bertrand Russell
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Half of my records sound fine at either speed until someone starts singing ;D And of course, as Koen said, Belgium in the late eighties (when I was a toddler) was wrong-speed-heaven!
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
eastmidswhizzkid

Hi Zeno! how the devil are you? :D

James Blast
Banned

he doesn't know ;D
~ Peter Steele
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:Six Grown Children are dreadful wank, I know I saw them back in't day :oops: :evil:
Me too, at that dreadful disco with the revolving stage upstairs in the Merrion. They were so bad live that it made me appreciate TJ's skill as a producer as the records always sounded half decent. Still, they were better live than Virgin Prunes or Cabaret Voltaire or Christian Death or ....