R.E.M.?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
ciazaera
Road Kill

I'm with Hom, right up to Green they were great. Once they signed to a major label they lost it, and everything else was dire.

They have been ruined, though, by the use of Everybody Hurts as a mass sobathon soundtrack after the death of Princess Diana. No band could recover from that.
Any colour you like, so long as it's black. Unless it's a John Deere.
psichonaut
Overbomber

Green is my fav album (don't ban me now :lol: ) but also like some of the earlier stuff, not really a fan myself but the weren't such a bad band before Stype made the jump into worldpopBand thing
they loose the sound they had back but still a good live band IMO
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
XidiouX
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

'Slacker Rock', James? Perhaps a sensitive term on a Sisters forum. I can't think of any criterion according to which The Sisters could be viewed as having been more productive than R.E.M....unless we were to, say, come up with one based on the number of songs with the word 'Corrosion' in the title or something like that.

XidiouX
Last edited by XidiouX on 10 Nov 2013, 04:34, edited 1 time in total.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

XidiouX wrote:'Slacker Rock', James? Perhaps a sensitive term on a Sisters forum. I can't think of any criterion according to which The Sisters could be viewed as having been more productive than R.E.M....unless we were to, say, measure the number of songs with the word 'Corrosion' in the title or something like that.

XidiouX
no, not more productive...better. :wink:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
XidiouX

In that case, if I was really stupid, I'd ask a question like "So, how many R.E.M. songs are worth one Sisters song?"

But I'm not really stupid, so I'm not asking that question, so there! :lol:

(case in point, loads of Sisters songs are better than loads of R.E.M. songs, but anyone who thinks Phantom is better than Sweetness Follows needs their head examined.)

XidiouX
Last edited by XidiouX on 10 Nov 2013, 04:50, edited 1 time in total.
eastmidswhizzkid

XidiouX wrote:In that case, if I was really stupid, I'd ask a question like "So, how many R.E.M. songs are worth one Sisters song?"

But I'm not really stupid, so I'm not asking that question, so there! :lol:

XidiouX
glad to hear it! i doubt you would have got an unsarcastic reply. :P

XidiouX

Go on then, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQN7A6Vl1H4

I don't wish to prove some point here. I don't wish to defeat you, or anyone else here, in some argument. I just simply want to share something that I like. If you don't like it, fair enough. If you do, I'll have done my good deed for the day, and then I can go and trip up a pensioner. :wink:

XidiouX
Pista
Cureboi

XidiouX wrote: and then I can go and trip up a pensioner. :wink:

XidiouX
:lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
eastmidswhizzkid

XidiouX wrote:Go on then, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQN7A6Vl1H4
no need, i remeber it well.i have already expressed my appreciation of R.E.M. in this thread, vis:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:regardless of who else likes it, "losing my religion" is one of my favourite songs ever.
i wouldn't say i was a big fan of theirs -apart from the afore mentioned single i own no product- but they've had their moments: "it's the end of the world as we know it", "the one i love" and "shiny happy people" (not just because kate pierson of b52's is on it) are all ok IMHO.
XidiouX wrote:I don't wish to prove some point here. I don't wish to defeat you, or anyone else here, in some argument. I just simply want to share something that I like. If you don't like it, fair enough. If you do, I'll have done my good deed for the day, and then I can go and trip up a pensioner. :wink:

XidiouX
no argument intended or entered into. :D
as for pensioners, my gran's dead so you're safe from me, but there are people on here who almost qualify for buspasses so be careful! :innocent: :wink:

always,
Lee 8)

XidiouX

Pensioners wearing certain T-Shirts will be spared. :D

XidiouX
XidiouX

markfiend,

I can't imagine two more dissimilar albums than Automatic for the People and Monster. These albums were consecutive.

XidiouX
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I'll say it again.
markfiend wrote:REM were the band that all the oh-so-serious pseuds (who took the p!ss out of me for listening to The Sisters) listened to back in the late 80s. I don't even believe that any of them genuinely liked REM, they just listened to it because that was what they were supposed to like. Pretentiousness at its very worse.

I know that I'm judging the band by the people that listened to them, and I suppose that's not exactly fair of me, but hey.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

R.E.M. kick(ed) arse.

The Sisters kick(ed) arse.

What more needs be said? Other than, clean yer ears out Fiend.

Love most of their albums, always loved them live (1995 at Huddersfield both nights (albeit the second night was watching freemans from the woods at the side of the stadium) and several festivals thereafter), 60-odd thousand at Glasto in 99 loving it, 30-odd thousand at Old Trafford Cricket Ground in 2003 where they were out of this world. They always missed a trick by not inviting Von & Co to support them but hey.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Planet Dave wrote:clean yer ears out Fiend.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
XidiouX

The song after Losing My Religion on the album Out of Time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJlxcFw9mzs

This is not a g**h song, because R.E.M were not a goth band. R.E.M were a rock band, which makes this a rock song. Enjoy!

Likewise...and tastes like chocolate never tasted before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CYitiDJPTE

XidiouX
XidiouX

There's something very Harry Dean Stanton about Michael Stipe that I love. It's hard to describe. They both seem to embody a vague archetype: the Southern, rugged, American slim gentleman - the road, the dust, the eyes, the cheekbones, the accent, the sincerity, kindness and the soft, velvet voice. It's very difficult to put this strange intuition into words.

XidiouX