Desert Island Discs

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
damagedone
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

hahh,i just noticed i placed 10 songs but won't correct it :D
Keep Music Evil
Johnny Rev 7.0
Banned

I also did ten songs. I think if you don't draw attention to it, no one notices.

Ssshhhhhh! :innocent:
What a season
to be beautiful
without a reason
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

+Lech Janerka - Pieśń mijających się wielorybów. in short title says it all. rough translation: song of passing each other whales.
+Angels of light - Angels of light. mantra song. very calming, relaxing.
+ Brian Eno - and ending ascent it's simply magnificent, majesty song.
+Starlings- Out of the woods. recently it's one of my favorite song. very catch. it fits to beaches (and festivals).

that's songs that i would choose for sure.

another two books. Frankly i would chose something practical, like basic of engineering, know your enemies: what to eat and what to avoid.

lux thing: i'm struggling between mentioned metric tons of weed (even that i'm not using it, but hey, i would have plenty times in my hands), and knife (again, a boring choice).
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

paint it black - echo and the bunnymen (so bitter)

long train has every element you need to know who is behind it

perfect kiss 12m BBC live in concert # a wow!! tune with humour

baby i love you ramones, but could easily have been kiss 'i was made for loving you, bay city rollers, glitterband - this song mops up all of them

summer night city abba (for those who don't know) # need to dance now, proper goth track too :notworthy: :notworthy:

moving away from the pulsebeat buzzcocks # those drums :eek:

Requiem in D minor, K.626 that motzart guy nailed it with this

--

the bible, why not

scrutons short history of modern philosopy

--

winona ryder
Goths have feelings too
lsind
Road Kill

MUSIC:
Cocteau Twins - Musette and drums
Cranes - Leave her to heaven
The Cure - A strange day
Godflesh - Jesu
Killing Joke - Love like blood
RLYL - Nothing wrong
TSOM - Lucretia my reflection
X-mal Deutschland - Mondlicht

Now this was tedious. 80 tracks would have been difficult, so 8 is ridiculous. There are so many other indispensable music pieces, that in the end I erased most of the other tracks I had selected just at random to bring it down to 8.
Anyway these tracks affect me deeply every time I listen to them, which is a good enough reason to take them with me.

BOOKS:
Margrave Of The Marshes/The Olivetti Chronicles by John Peel - I didn't know about this until Andie mentioned it in her post earlier. Sounds like something I would love. More than the bible anyway. And I mean, that's John Peel. Can't go wrong with this choice.
Black Coffee Blues by Henry Rollins - I last read it about 20 years ago, but at the time I thought that he managed to say so much in just a few lines, so this should keep me busy if I don't read too much at a time.

LUXURY ITEM:
A drum kit and a few pairs of sticks - I still have so much to learn that I would never get bored with nothing to do. And I would finally have a place where to play at any time of the day and the night!

P.S.: Compiling the 8 music pieces reminding me of a 52-minute mix I did some time ago featuring 50 pieces among my favourites. Not really the right place, but here it is - if anyone cares to check it:
http://www.mixcloud.com/laurentguerrier ... shortcuts/
bangles
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Songs
All Tomorrow's Parties - The Velvet Underground
My favorite all-time song. This song just transports me through time and space

Loose - The Stooges
Because I want that unbridled catharsis on my little island

Station To Station - Bowie
As good as any novel

Tour De France (12") - Kraftwerk
More travel and transport? So clean, mechanic and modern. The 12" remix is a monster.

Mother Of Pearl - Roxy Music
Another musical journey!? There's clearly a theme here... But aside from that Ferry is a cruely under-estimated lyricist & on Stranded, he is at one of his many peaks. (Funnily enough, on my short-list of songs that didn't make the cut due to a hardline adherence to the 6 song limit, my Sisters song was also connected to transportation - Long Train!)

Remedy - Little Boots
Because I want to dance

Bop Pills - The Cramps
Because I want to keep dancing.

Books.
I'll keep the bible but get rid of shakey so does that give me two books? If so I'm going for Catch22 by Joseph Heller because I never tire of re-reading it & The Complete David Bowie by Nicholas Pegg - comprehensive and a great drop in anywhere read.

Luxury item.
Because 6 songs is clearly not enough, are you allowed an i-pod? If not, I'd settle for an endless supply of clean socks.
Asperum Aestimate Fimi Aliquid Hodie
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Well...today (without too much thinking)
Paradise Lost - Enchantment
Joy Division - New Dawn Fades
The Sisters Of Mercy - Never Land (full length)
Nick Cave - Stranger Than Kindness (live)
Kreator - Hordes Of Chaos
Neil Young - Cowgirl In The Sand
Iron Maiden - Afraid To Shoot Strangers
16 Horsepower - Haw

Luxury: Movie player containing Heimat: Eine Chronik In Elf Teilen (Edgar Reitz)

Book: Bernlef - Hersenschimmen
"as we walk on the floodland"
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

Good thread!

All Saints - Pure Shores
Sisters - Some Kind Of Stranger
Junior Walker And The All Stars - Walk In The Night
George Harrison - My Sweet Lord
David Bowie - Sweet Thing
Nick Cave - O Malley's Bar
KMFDM - Juke Joint Jezebel
Nine Inch Nails - Reptile

Book - Lord Of The Rings
Item - A solar powered radio that'll let me listen to Leeds United games. :)
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
Johnny Rev 7.0
Banned

Purple Light wrote:Item - A solar powered radio that'll let me listen to Leeds United games. :)
Is that a luxury item? Or a punishment item for being very naughty in a previous life (JansenCloneâ„¢)?

:wink:
What a season
to be beautiful
without a reason
Andie
Overbomber

lsind wrote:MUSIC:
Cocteau Twins - Musette and drums
Cranes - Leave her to heaven
The Cure - A strange day
Godflesh - Jesu
Killing Joke - Love like blood
RLYL - Nothing wrong
TSOM - Lucretia my reflection
X-mal Deutschland - Mondlicht

Now this was tedious. 80 tracks would have been difficult, so 8 is ridiculous. There are so many other indispensable music pieces, that in the end I erased most of the other tracks I had selected just at random to bring it down to 8.
Anyway these tracks affect me deeply every time I listen to them, which is a good enough reason to take them with me.

BOOKS:
Margrave Of The Marshes/The Olivetti Chronicles by John Peel - I didn't know about this until Andie mentioned it in her post earlier. Sounds like something I would love. More than the bible anyway. And I mean, that's John Peel. Can't go wrong with this choice.
Black Coffee Blues by Henry Rollins - I last read it about 20 years ago, but at the time I thought that he managed to say so much in just a few lines, so this should keep me busy if I don't read too much at a time.

LUXURY ITEM:
A drum kit and a few pairs of sticks - I still have so much to learn that I would never get bored with nothing to do. And I would finally have a place where to play at any time of the day and the night!

P.S.: Compiling the 8 music pieces reminding me of a 52-minute mix I did some time ago featuring 50 pieces among my favourites. Not really the right place, but here it is - if anyone cares to check it:
http://www.mixcloud.com/laurentguerrier ... shortcuts/
Ohh I like being called a girl :von: 8) and reading John Peel is always good for the soul
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
lsind
Road Kill

Andie wrote: Ohh I like being called a girl :von: 8) and reading John Peel is always good for the soul
OOps... Sorry. :oops: I guess the "e" at the end of your username led me to believe you were a girl...
psichonaut
Overbomber

placebo infra-red
TSOM nine while nine
the Mish like a hurricane
joy division 24 hours
depeche mode enjoy the silence
TFON psychonaut
TFON love under will
the cult rain
christian death sleepwalk
the cure play for today (live version)

books Agatha Christie complete collection
religion Necronomicon ;D
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
Andie
Overbomber

lsind wrote:
Andie wrote: Ohh I like being called a girl :von: 8) and reading John Peel is always good for the soul
OOps... Sorry. :oops: I guess the "e" at the end of your username led me to believe you were a girl...
Easy mistake to make, and to be honest the "e" is there for that reason alone :eek:
Bahamas
Road Kill

As its Friday..I had to this.

1. I want you back – Jackson 5
2. Cars – Gary Newman with Inch Nails (the irony that I can’t go an aware )
3. Bob Marley- Exodus
4. Ribbons – SOM
5. Depeche Mode –Blaspemous Rumors
6. Palcebo Blind
7. Jackson Browne – Stay
8. Ozzy Osborune – (because it still makes me want to break stuff)

Option item – either my squash raquet or Kate Upton. Its actually real close.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Bahamas wrote: Option item – either my squash raquet or Kate Upton. Its actually real close.
I just had to google Kate Upton. :eek: :P
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I think there's a rule that your luxury item can't be another person. (Although IIRC John Cleese was allowed to take Mike Palin... as long as he was dead and taxidermied first.)

I think I'm letting some of you get away with far more than Roy Plomley would have...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Bahamas
Road Kill

Ok I cheated.

Strictly for in depth conversational purposes.

Perhaps wilson instead.

:roll:
For books its anything by Christopher Hitchens, Murakami, Raymond Carver or Graham Green.
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

Johnny Rev 7.0 wrote:
Purple Light wrote:Item - A solar powered radio that'll let me listen to Leeds United games. :)
Is that a luxury item? Or a punishment item for being very naughty in a previous life (JansenCloneâ„¢)?

:wink:
Leeds United = Luxury & punishment. :wink:
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Bahamas wrote:Ok I cheated.
Sorry, I wasn't picking on you in particular.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Andie
Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote:
Bahamas wrote: Option item – either my squash raquet or Kate Upton. Its actually real close.
I just had to google Kate Upton. :eek: :P
Likewise :lol: 8)

Would be a tough call with Amber Heard :wink: :notworthy:
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Quite a few of my choices have already been selected by others but here goes :

TSOM SKOS No further explanation required, I'm sure
Killing Joke Requiem As mind-blowing in 2013 as it was in 1980
The Young Gods Fais la Mouette Would be handy for scaring off any rogue seagulls
The Alan Parsons Project Old and Wise Have always fancied having this soppy old tosh played at my funeral, and seeing as rescue is not a certainty ...
Type O Negative Christian Woman (edit) I could finally play this as loud as I like without someone complaining
Lou Reed Perfect Day Was nearly ruined for me by a charity cover version a few years ago but a great bitter-sweet song for those long evenings on the island
The Doors The Crystal Ship The greatest vocal ever ? And knowing my luck, probably the only ship I'd be getting anywhere near
Bauhaus Antonin Artaud To clean out the mental cobwebs in those freak-out moments when the loneliness starts to get to me...

Book - complete works of Voltaire (instead of Shakespeare) to make me think and smile, plus the collected travel writings of Tim Moore to make me laugh

Luxury - unlimited supply of pens and paper
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Happy to stuff Winona if needed
Goths have feelings too
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

sisters : skos (my all time favourite song)
new model army : g+g (i just can't imagine living without it)
and also the trees : red valentino (criminally underrated band)
smiths : i know it's over (rank version) (story of my life)
vnv nation : standing (too close for comfort)
leonard cohen famous blue raincoat (same as above)
current 93 : soft black stars (heartbreaking)
nick cave and the bad seeds : watching Alice (it s beauty is just beyond words)

Book : Michael Ende - Momo (my favourite writer)

Luxury item : sunglasses (what else?)
Last edited by Silence is platinum on 04 Nov 2013, 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Silence is platinum wrote: leonard cohen famous blue raincoat
Now that is a good call. I'm think maybe I should drop something from mine to include that. :notworthy:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
aims
Overbomber

To begin:
Johnny Todd - Theme from Z Cars ~ If I'm not going to be taking my seat at Goodison Park for the foreseeable future, I can at least relive the hairs standing up on the back of my neck. If ever I take to a stage, this will be my Afterhours.

The Chair She Sat in, Like A Burnished Throne - The Ruby Kid ~ A quarter century with nothing to show for it but the poetry / I am not building a legacy / Well what are you building anyway? A fellow traveller on the UK Left, if the wrong bit of it. Could have been many different tracks, but it's this one.

Melody Dean - Amanda Palmer ~ Can't tell if it's articulating my awkward navigation of unorthodox relationship structures, or presenting an horrendous erasure of women's bisexuality as illegitimate. Frankly don't give a consensually non-monogamous f**k.

True Trans Soul Rebel - Against Me! ~ Because f**k it, it says transsexual in a loving voice on a major label. It was Baby I'm An Anarchist (in the face of solidarity as a four letter word) that first spoke to me, but this is the one I'm taking with me.

Second Skin - The Chameleons ~ Because goodness knows a miracle is due.

Some Kind of Stranger - The Sisters of Mercy ~ But only because the bastard never recorded a genuine medley of Nine While Nine / Driven Like the Snow. This one needs no explanation here, I feel.

To close:
There Is A Light... - The Smiths ~ The song to end a gig. Kicks seven shades of shiva out of Vision Thing or Temple of Love in that respect, even when performed by hired hands in ever smaller venues. Erm. And Marr's resurrection of it puts Morrisey's to shame. Not that I've experienced the latter live. Not that I'd want to experience the latter live.

And the misfit:
Who Killed Mr Moonlight? - Bauhaus ~ Couldn't not include it. Couldn't find a proper place for it in the above Running Order Squabblefest. So here it is. After the close.

On reflection, a compilation of sex, sexuality, and aspiration. To be listened to in order. Fully referenced, save (coincidentally) the last three. YouTube won't do them justice, it just seems wrong.

My concentration is shot, and has been for the past few years, so I wouldn't know where to begin with books. An empty one and a biro, if you're feeling generous.

As for luxuries, a stopwatch would be excellent. The passage of time doesn't bother me on a macro level, but something to time my thoughts by (and my meditative attempts to repair that concentration enough to make it through Shakespeare) would be invaluable.