Anyone going to Nick Cave in Munich on 21.11?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
damagedone
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Just booked my ticked for the concert and was wondering if any other heartlander is going aswell :)
Keep Music Evil
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

I ll go to the Paris gig, two days earlier :)
Johnny Rev 7.0
Banned

I'll be at Offenbach (13Nov) 6 days earlier Nikos :wink: , so I'll let you and dd know how it went. Very excited! :D

I bought my tickets 6 months ago and had it in my head that Sharon Van Etten would be supporting (and probably send me to to sleep) but it appears it's Shilpa Ray, solo (minus her Happy Hookers), so now I might be paying more attention before The Bad Seeds hit the stage. :von:

Shilpa Ray - Erotolepsy - London 27.10.2013 :cool:
What a season
to be beautiful
without a reason
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

Johnny Rev 7.0 wrote:I'll be at Offenbach (13Nov) 6 days earlier Nikos :wink: , so I'll let you and dd know how it went. Very excited! :D
:
hey Johnny :D

i haven't been to a Nick Cave gig since 1989 (!), so yes i m so excited too.

Let us know though i guess i d ll be bloody awesome! ^_^
damagedone

Shilpa Ray looks rather scary :D
Keep Music Evil
DerekR
Doobie Brother

damagedone wrote:Shilpa Ray looks rather scary :D
She was in Glasgow. She was also extremely dull and repetitive, or maybe that was just me. Didn't float my boat anyway :?
Johnny Rev 7.0
Banned

I hear what you're saying Derek as I've looked at the other Hammersmith vids on YouTube. When it's just a voice and a harmonium(!), there's less room for expression (or we all don't understand the expression?) as opposed to a voice and a guitar, which we do all understand.

I'll try to take a scary, snarly pic of Shilpa nonetheless. :innocent:
What a season
to be beautiful
without a reason
GC
Slight Overbomber

Amsterdam 17 november....first time to see him with Bad Seeds. Seen him once with Grinderman and once at a reading/mini concert of Bunny Munro.

Can't wait...Push the Sky away is the best thing since No More Shall We Part.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

I'll be at the Antwerp gig, nov 18th I think.
Seen them twice already this year and am very much looking forward to another!
Push The Sky Away being one of my favourite albums of the year and a Bad Seeds highlight...
in dub we trust
damagedone

radiojamaica wrote:I'll be at the Antwerp gig, nov 18th I think.
Seen them twice already this year and am very much looking forward to another!
Push The Sky Away being one of my favourite albums of the year and a Bad Seeds highlight...
agree,Push The Sky Away is a masterpiece.I would probably skip Shilpa Ray
after watching a few videos i just can't connect to her performances-more time for beer :D
Keep Music Evil
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

radiojamaica wrote: Push The Sky Away being one of my favourite albums of the year and a Bad Seeds highlight...
Indeed , though Cave is one of my most favourite artists , i wasn' t very pleased with his releases after " Let love in", with the exception of "no more shall we part" and "the lyre of orpheus", which were far better that the other albums he released after L.L.I. but still nowhere near the masterpieces he released one after the other in the early days.
"Push the sky away" is for me, not only his finest work since L.L.I, but one of the band's absolute highlights in their entire career.

there are just no words to describe "water's edge"....
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Yup, I feel the same way. Untill Let Love In they could do no wrong. Still albums I play regularly. Then came Murder Ballads and it certainly was a very good one also, but something had changed... After that we kept buying the albums, but I don't think there's one I played more than a handful of times.
Push The Sky Away was the first in 20 years that grabbed me from the get go. Must have played it 500 times by now 8) :notworthy:
When they played Le Trianon in Paris last february the first set consisted of the complete album and that was just pure bliss!
in dub we trust
Johnny Rev 7.0
Banned

Just back from Offenbach. Truly awesome performance. :notworthy:

The band were tight, vocals were excellent and he's really developed into a showman, whilst still keeping his 'uniqueness' whilst performing. 8)

Setlist is already up elsewhere:

1. We No Who U R
2. Jubilee Street
3. Tupelo
4. Red Right Hand
5. Mermaids
6. From Her To Eternity
7. West Country Girl
8. Love Letter
9. People Ain't No Good
10. Higgs Boson Blues
11. The Mercy Seat
12. Stagger Lee
13. Push The Sky Away

Encore
14. Do You Love Me?
15. Deanna
16. The Weeping Song
17. Into My Arms

I think that's right - I have a doubt - but I'm too knackered and my brain's starting to shut down. :urff:

Plus my right shoulder aches. Nick doesn't crowd-surf but does like to stand on the barrier and lie on the audience. Supporting him was fine, it was getting him back upright that took the physical effort.

Stagger Lee? More like Stagger Johnny! Maybe I'm getting too old for this shit. :lol:

A truly top night out and a top night awaits those in the pipeline. :D

More tomorrow. Or rather later today. I think.
What a season
to be beautiful
without a reason
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

Glad you had a great time mate :D

the support act?
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Sweet :notworthy:
in dub we trust
Johnny Rev 7.0
Banned

Right, I've woken up. A few reflections...

Shilpa was Shilpa, Nikos. Sounded better at the front as the vocals were louder and tended to balance out the harmonium, but it's very samey. Unfortunately, we had a small group of Americans behind us who were 'whooping and hollering' at every song, so instead of the expected 5-6, I think we got 8. I'd already zoned out by then. :urff:

But it was worth the suffering just to be on the barrier. There's no security staff in the pit. Just a couple of equipment transport cases which Nick uses as stepping stones to get to his catwalk which is built onto the barrier. Incidentally, on the crowd side there's a 10cm high platform that runs the width of the stage and accommodates the first three rows. :D

Which leads onto the overwhelming feeling I took from the gig. He cares about his fans. He wants interaction, and boy! does he interact and get a response. Eye contact, banter, on and especially, off-mic. :wink:

It can be quite intimidating at first when he squats down and stares you in the eye and points his finger 2cm away from your nose. But it can also be quite intimate, and uplifting, when he lays his hand on your head, almost Priest-like.

And as for the lying down on the audience? Now I understand about trust.

The first time was during HBB. I'd danced to the back of the platform (3rd row) when he stood on the barrier and started leaning in. The girls at the front had his legs secure and he stretches out his hand. I'm looking left, right and behind me, and think "Oh shit! He wants my hand!" I braced myself, held out my hand and he took it in a vice-like grip.

No one tried to steal his jewellery, rip the shirt off his back, or cop a quick feel. Trust. It's been 25 years since I've been as close to any 'rock star' as this. :notworthy:

Videos are starting to emerge:

Tupelo (excerpt)

Do You Love Me?

The Weeping Song (Warren's violin solo :notworthy:)

I would thoroughly recommend you all to get there early. Very early. And get on that front row platform. It really is an experience to behold.
What a season
to be beautiful
without a reason
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

I think it s realy unique how he fills up the stage with his pressence,
he was born to be a performer

i m so excited i cant wait :D , and yes i m gonna be damn early, i only like watching gigs from the front row!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

John that sounds absolutely amazing!
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

I went to Düsseldorf this week and it is plain simple: Excellent gig!!! Brilliant sound, Cave in a very good mood, very nice setlist! :notworthy:

Can hardly explain how good it was but at the end I had the feeling I was part of something special! Guess that says enough. It doesn't get better than that.
"as we walk on the floodland"
damagedone

fuckin' amazing,can hardly wait to get there :D
I thought of skipping Shilpa but then no front row so i have to somehow endure her performance
Keep Music Evil
Johnny Rev 7.0
Banned

As some Luke guy once said (and I'm paraphrasing):
Suffer Shelpa to come unto me... for of such is the kingdom of Nick Cave.
:wink:
What a season
to be beautiful
without a reason
Johnny Rev 7.0
Banned

Ozpat wrote:But at the end I had the feeling I was part of something special!
Patrick wins the prize for articulating something, I tried to articulate, but in less words. :notworthy: :kiss:
What a season
to be beautiful
without a reason
GC
Slight Overbomber

Saw them at Amsterdam last night. Brilliant.....adding any more would just be repeating what everybody else have said.

Stood about 6 rows back..and had to go through two supports. Shilpa and Les Collettes (which were more palatable than Shilpa).

Funny that the last time I was in the HMH was ten years ago watching The Sisters (smoke and mirrors).....
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Yesterday the Antwerp gig. Simply amazing!
I could've done without the pianosongs halfway the gig, but that version of Higgs Boson Blues made everything good. Wow.
And Tupelo, Push The Sky Away, Red Right Hand,...
in dub we trust
Johnny Rev 7.0
Banned

Stop complaining Koen! :wink:

You had quite a mixed-up set though :? BUT you got 'Papa Won't Leave You, Henry'. 8)

I do love the run of songs from Higgs Boson Blues / The Mercy Seat / Stagger Lee / Push the Sky Away, which seems to be a constant in the setlist. :notworthy:

From Pat's Dusseldorf Gig :von:
What a season
to be beautiful
without a reason