Growing up for goths

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Pista
Cureboi

Was pointed in the direction of this article in the Grauniad by a friend today

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... e-research

It seems to infer that goffs are more likely to stay linked to the scene & find it much easier to adapt to conventions that may be imposed when pursuing a career path.
That ring any bells for you lot?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

I think we've had this linked before,and I am always reminded of the Rorschach quote

" Even in the face of Armageddon I shall not compromise in this"

Although not that Goff a quote tbf
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Well, I've not had a haircut in over 20 years and I'm coping fine with a "career". Fortunately I've never been in a position where I've even been asked to compromise; one of the advantages of working in IT is that everyone expects you to be a weirdo. My look is fairly tame compared to some of my colleagues in the University's IT section!
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
RibbonGirl
Road Kill

I can not believe that an expert has written this rubbish. The whole thing simply does not stand. 'Goth' can not be taken as ​​category of analysis so blithely, seeking to annul the rest of their human facets and studying them as an isolated community. What's so strange that a person hear music, dress up, work and have children? sometimes these sociological studies have little of social component as they are just specific case studies. (Hope i'm not offending anyone)
Talk to them, talk to someone,
Talk to me, or
Paint it on a wall,
But never stay in silence,
As silence kills.
splintered thing
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

It is heartening that England has such a begrudging love of the goffik kind and seems ALMOST proud of this spectacularly eccentric corner of society ... Here is is just bemusement and ignorance.

I read this (& other articles/books by Paul Hodkinson) as part of my prepping for my PhD. His findings are pretty much spot on btw, and he is what is known as a 'participant researcher' - ie like myself - he has taken the opportunity to fit goth/music/subculture/alternative lifestyle choices (chose appropriate) into his professional career and he has excelled at it, both through studying the phenomenon/s and writing about his personal experiences.
Being involved in 'the scene' since I was old enough to babysit myself it is an important part of my life, if for no other reason than it has taken up a lot of my time and money .... :lol: It is worth studying - dodgy fashions, smoke machines, OTT make-up and generally being a young pretentious goose included.
I am thankful that such articles make it to the papers, it goes some way at least towards raising the profile of non-conservative/non-traditional career and lifestyle choices and reminds folk that we are in the very least interesting on some level! /end of rant ;D
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
mh
Above the Chemist

markfiend wrote:one of the advantages of working in IT is that everyone expects you to be a weirdo
It's actually advantageous. People expect a weirdo, they see one, so they're set at ease: "oh yeah, that guy looks weird and he works in IT, so he must know what he's doing". :lol: :notworthy:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Britain loves its eccentrics.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Growing up for goths? Isn't that when they discover techno? :wink: :twisted:
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Planet Dave wrote:Growing up for goths? Isn't that when they discover techno? :wink: :twisted:
Happened to me when I was 15 or 16... I still don't feel like a grown up :innocent:
in dub we trust
RibbonGirl
Road Kill

splintered thing wrote:It is heartening that.....

! /end of rant ;D
I think the 'young pretentious goose' category is the best fit for me :) (maybe 'cos I am also a Ph D -in Musicology- and a recicled goth). :lol:
Talk to them, talk to someone,
Talk to me, or
Paint it on a wall,
But never stay in silence,
As silence kills.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

'twas always about the music for me so never went for the full look. Those who go the whole hog generally seem to tone it down in their thirties, and save the dressing up for Whitby or the odd night out. Nature tends not to be too kind to those who try to recapture past sartorial glories, and I suspect that TSOM sell rather less of the skinny fit t-shirts these days.
sultan2075
Overbomber

RibbonGirl wrote:
splintered thing wrote:It is heartening that.....

! /end of rant ;D
I think the 'young pretentious goose' category is the best fit for me :) (maybe 'cos I am also a Ph D -in Musicology- and a recicled goth). :lol:
How many doctorates are on this board (I've got one too, and currently serve as associate professor of philosophy... somewhere)? Was never much of a goth though. I just liked the Sisters (who I never really thought of as goth either).
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Planet Dave wrote:Growing up for goths? Isn't that when they discover techno? :wink: :twisted:
I was into Techno before Gawff. I've never truly gotten over it :wink:

I'vet met Paul Hodkinson a few times, he's a spot on chap and yes - very embedded in the scene!

I discuss articles like this and others on a little blog by the way...

:innocent:
Silver_Owl
The Don

sultan2075 wrote:...Was never much of a goth though. I just liked the Sisters (who I never really thought of as goth either).
Well said oh wise sage. :notworthy:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.