New interview with Wayne with some Sisters stuff

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I don't like the m*****n and this used to upset me. I am one of those people who likes to explore the whole of the "Family Tree" of a band. But I have played "The First Chapter" several times - I figured that would be the most Sisteresque and it is crap.
I saw Wayne on his solo tour in 2003 and he came over very well. I like his early work with Dead Or Alive but there seems to be (it is difficult to describe) a sort of silliness to the tunes and the lyrics that don't really bear repeated listenings.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Silver_Owl
The Don

million voices wrote:I don't like the m*****n and this used to upset me. I am one of those people who likes to explore the whole of the "Family Tree" of a band. But I have played "The First Chapter" several times - I figured that would be the most Sisteresque and it is crap.
Likewise. I did try to like it but it just didn't work for me. I think a lot of it was to do with the lyrics.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Elystan
Amphetamine Filth

stufarq wrote: In fairness there are loads of threads on this forum that have come to exactly the same conclusion ie Von's scared to reease anything new.
Scared? Probably just realistic.

Bauhaus releases a new album after 20+ years - it sucks

The Stooges release a new album after 20+ years - it sucks

I'm sure there are countless other examples. I mean, those albums were so bad compared to the original material that they practically detracted from the overall body of work. I have to just sort of pretend. I don't think anything by Andrew would be any different - except that he has the good sense not to do it at all.
mh
Above the Chemist

MBV release a new album after 20+ years - it's awesome. :)

Otherwise yeah, it's quite a gamble. Good job that most of us like most of the songs though. :notworthy:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Silver_Owl
The Don

I like the new Sabbath album too. :)
Just saying. :P
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Not to mention the recent Bowie album ... ;D ...
mickydazzler
Road Kill

Image[/img]
Being645
Wiki Wizard

:lol: ... not yet arrived here, but for sure a good example ... ;D ...
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Being645 wrote::lol: ... not yet arrived here, but for sure a good example ... ;D ...
Well.......not exactly,Motorhead release an album every year,not every twenty years!
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Being645
Wiki Wizard

ribbons69 wrote:
Being645 wrote::lol: ... not yet arrived here, but for sure a good example ... ;D ...
Well.......not exactly,Motorhead release an album every year,not every twenty years!
Yeah, true. But it looks so motivating ... ;D ;D ;D ...
Suleiman
Amphetamine Filth

Motorhead are motivating.

THE best band I ever saw live (Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Glastonbury, 1994 - great story involving whisky- being the second and The Sisters at Reading 1991 coming in third).

Always look on the bright side of life.

Their last two albums ROCK.

They get me through the drive to work where I face an existential crisis at each turn and the kettlebell training sessions (that's just FUN).

Sure, I like The Sisters, Dominion is the best music video ever made but Motorhead ROCK.

I made my former band mates in Voodoo Alien read Lemmy's autobiography before we started rehearsals...

Sorry, is this The Sisters of Mercy forum?
shivarising
Amphetamine Filth

I'll admit to being a huge m*****n fan in 88-90, and I still think they have some great songs (Beyond the Pale; Lose Myself in You) but on the whole, there's so much crappage in there, it's astonishing they ever charted.

For one thing, who are you today, Wayne? Robert Plant, Robert Smith, Bono, John Lennon? And then, some of the worst, most insipid lyrics ever put to tape. Don't make me pull out some quotes, people. You know damn right what I'm talking about.

Also, my interest was piqued by Simon Hinkler returning, since I think Children is the one album I can still listen to. But what a letdown. That latest album sounds like a drunken bar band bashing out some demos. It's beyond wretched. It sounds like they tried to make a blues rock/pub rock album but didn't bother to write any songs. It's painful to listen to.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

:lol: And to think I thought I was harsh on WH. Good to see you entering the season of goodwill, @shivarising !
TragicSerenades
Road Kill

:D :innocent:
paul
Overbomber

shivarising wrote: That latest album sounds like a drunken bar band bashing out some demos.
:eek: :lol:
Suleiman
Amphetamine Filth

At least Motorhead always sound like Motorhead.
iesus
Overbomber

shivarising wrote:... That latest album sounds like a drunken bar band bashing out some demos. ...
:notworthy: :notworthy: :lol: ;D
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

shivarising wrote:IThat latest album sounds like a drunken bar band bashing out some demos. It's beyond wretched. It sounds like they tried to make a blues rock/pub rock album but didn't bother to write any songs. It's painful to listen to.
Whereas I'd say It's their best album since CIS over 20 years ago. Kudos to them for not worrying about it sounding 'm*****n' enough which IMO has been the problem with all of their post 1990 albums..........but this music lark is all about opinions isn't it?
Give me one good reason
Joy

"Music is there to enrich your life and make you aware of things in a slightly different way."
centurionofprix

well, that was fair enough wasn't it? Except I'm pretty sure "Marian" is good because of the songwriting from both parties, perhaps less because of the guitars or the vocals in particular. :lol: