"Floodland better than FALAA" - official

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
bangles
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

lazarus corporation wrote:FALAA was produced for a fiver and a portion of chips.
Judging by thecontemporary pix, i don't think Eldritch even saw those chips, nevermind share them! Maybe this is the real story behind the split... One evening Eldritch arrives to the studio, late as usual and surveys the scene before him: A bottle of vinegar out of place and the scent of ketchup in the air and the others with their greasy fingers... Right then and there, he was already mentally telephoning Patricia.
Asperum Aestimate Fimi Aliquid Hodie
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Slightly off topic but must admit these days I prefer Vision Thing to both. :von:
The Chancer Corporation
Pista
Cureboi

lazarus corporation wrote:FALAA was produced for a fiver and a portion of chips. Floodland was produced on a proper record company budget.

If FALAA had received the same production attention that Floodland had then it would be a different matter (especially when it comes to side 2), but as it is Floodland wins.
Good point.
If they were drinks, Floodland would be black velvet & FALAA would be snakebite & black.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Wiki Wizard

bangles wrote:
lazarus corporation wrote:FALAA was produced for a fiver and a portion of chips.
Judging by thecontemporary pix, i don't think Eldritch even saw those chips, nevermind share them! Maybe this is the real story behind the split... One evening Eldritch arrives to the studio, late as usual and surveys the scene before him: A bottle of vinegar out of place and the scent of ketchup in the air and the others with their greasy fingers... Right then and there, he was already mentally telephoning Patricia.
:lol: :lol: :notworthy:

Beyond that, I think it's not all about production, either.
Putting FALAA into the context of the time of its release, it is, IMHO, clearly the more important album by far,
whereas Floodland is a matter of consequence, rather. Nicely produced, ok, especially the Steinman tracks.
And the whole idea and concept of Floodland, that's just unique and something that was long due to be done ...
but then again, when it comes to "importance" I tend to agree to abrigded, though with regard to Floodland only ...
abridged wrote:Slightly off topic but must admit these days I prefer Vision Thing to both. :von:
if only there had been YCBTO on it ... but that has been resolved with the 2006 re-issues ... 8) ...
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Floodland got me a shag, FALAA only got me a blowie, so Floodland wins
Goths have feelings too
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

paint it black wrote:Floodland got me a shag, FALAA only got me a blowie, so Floodland wins
You are Jay from The Inbetweeners and I claim my £5.
bangles
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

paint it black wrote:Floodland got me a shag, FALAA only got me a blowie, so Floodland wins

Alternatively, you are Andrew Eldritch and i claim my £5!
Asperum Aestimate Fimi Aliquid Hodie
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

bangles wrote:Floodland for me. Yes, side 2 of FALAA has 4 of the greatest Sisters tunes but as a thematic whole, as a concept, Flood is stronger. It even extends to the way the songs bleed, indeed flow, into each other, illustrating the continuing journey - with the exception of 1959 which, in every respect, stands alone in the Sisters cannon. That might be why the label were so willing to chuck cash at it. Perhaps they bought into the vision that Eldritch was selling: only 8 tracks, epic sweeping production, kitchen sink welding comeback single, high concept video's, commerical singles, no tour(!), terrible cover(!) Alternatively, it could have been a side effect of the cocaine - the 80's was apparently a snowstorm in most executives offices...
Musically and lyrically, like the much lauded Reptile House, Flood was a driven Eldritch, in control without compromise, and a handfull of fantastic songs. A jaundiced observor, a wounded lover, a defiant victor, a black (and white!) clad disco dancer under mirrored balled mushroom clouds! Yes, it's Floodland for me...
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
TragicSerenades
Road Kill

Hmmm...floodland better than falaa...a little bell rings..Aaaah didn`t I see that in a cd rating topic somewhere? muuuaaaahahaha :-) top notch..
DerekR
Doobie Brother

This Corrosion still sucks balls though :urff:
riviera71
Road Kill

Nork1 wrote:"Floodland better than FALAA"... apart from the fact it bloody isn't!!! Geeeetars over girly choirs and synthesisers any day of the week.
+1
FALAA is the best album ever so by definition Floodland can't be better :wink:
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

DerekR wrote:This Corrosion still sucks balls though :urff:
TC is a funny song if you know story behind it, and even then it's boring after few listen, otherwise it's just boring, bombastic but boring.
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

Nothing beats falaa, top tunes on both sides, the muddy production is the only downside. What the hell was that Allen guy thinking.
Steve Albini should have been the producer.

Nothing beats Floodland either btw.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Or alternatively ...
...http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?b=3625

As someone vaguely famous once said, I was wrong to ever doubt. FALAA is better than Floodland (until the next poll :roll: ).
centurionofprix
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

It's academic though, as Vision Thing is clearly the best one.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

this is one of those questions that really comes down to "which is your favourite"...in which case i'm probably going to come down on the side of (after much deliberation) FALAA, simply because that is the album i associate most with the "golden age" of the sisters -ie when i first fell stupidly, hopelesssly, for ever and always, in love with the band.

but.... floodland is perfect. go figure. :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
iesus
Overbomber

This question is wrong...
To put it in other words, i will use images and include also VT.
;D

FALAA ? ? ?

FL ? ? ?
or

VT ? ? ?

I hope i am clear in sweet way :innocent:
:notworthy:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
mh
Above the Chemist

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:this is one of those questions that really comes down to "which is your favourite"...in which case i'm probably going to come down on the side of (after much deliberation) FALAA, simply because that is the album i associate most with the "golden age" of the sisters -ie when i first fell stupidly, hopelesssly, for ever and always, in love with the band.

but.... floodland is perfect. go figure. :von:
On the other hand, I fell in love with them with Floodland, but FALAA was the one where I knew the relationship was gonna work.

If we're gonna stretch an already dodgy metaphor - Floodland was copping a quick feel behind the bike shed and having a good time of it, FALAA was someone who'd make you a nice big fry-up when you have a hangover. :lol: :notworthy:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
psichonaut
Overbomber

So i like all of them the same way ;D
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
redfish666
Amphetamine Filth

it depends on the days, to be honest...
You don't eat the same thing every day either...
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard

mh wrote:I don't. :D

Floodland is great for sure, and is probably a stronger overall package, but as an enjoyable listening experience FALAA edges it for me, despite some slightly ropey tunes in places. It's all about side 2. :notworthy:
IMHO there are some weak tracks on Floodland but all of FALAA resonates with me. I guess that is why there is a forum ;D
You still think swastikas look cool
The real nazis run your schools
They're coaches, businessmen and cops
In a real fourth reich you'll be the first to go