Enough is Enough.... no chance for the Sisters in 2014!

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Skip Intro
Road Kill

As I have said before, and I wasn't the only one, never mention the trenches in Belgium.

2014 promises to be a better year.... ('Triskaidekaphobia' is the phobia and fear of the number 13, LOL.)

Anyway, what I wanted to say is:

A bunch of rival soccer players almost bought about the absolute end of World War One (in 1914, exactly a hundred years from today) by resolving their differences with a football...

That was the legendary "Trenches of Belgium" incident.

The term "The Sky's Gone Out!" (Bauhaus, Pete Murphy, etc) also refers to WW1 - those were the moments when exploding bombshells threw dirt high into the air, thus blocking out the sunshine and creating only darkness...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7MwXniOD44

Thank You. Blessed Be...

Remember Boy!
iesus
Overbomber

Actually if 2014 will be peaceful in Europe as continent. This will be the first time after many many many centuries...
1914 was WW I
1814 was Napoleonic Wars at the peak
etc...
:innocent:

What will happen this time? :lol: :notworthy:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

2014- we're lazy, 'fat' (both mental and physical), we're angry and bored, we're ready to do some 'action' and we got much more military power than we can handle. at least we're let off steam in Africa and Asia.
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I don't think the Christmas Truce of 1914 was ever seen as a possible end of the Great War.
It was only a respite in hostilities for the observance of the Religious Festival.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

What's your point, caller?
Four strings good, six strings bad
Being645
Above the Chemist

Another 4'33'' ? ... :wink: ...
GC
Slight Overbomber

million voices wrote:I don't think the Christmas Truce of 1914 was ever seen as a possible end of the Great War.
It was only a respite in hostilities for the observance of the Religious Festival.
It was the start of the end.....maybe without it the War would have dragged on until 1919.
GC
Slight Overbomber

Gollum's Cock wrote:
million voices wrote:I don't think the Christmas Truce of 1914 was ever seen as a possible end of the Great War.
It was the start of the end.....maybe without it the War would have dragged on until 1919.
What I also wanted to add was WTF is this topic about.
Andie
Overbomber

Gollum's Cock wrote:What I also wanted to add was WTF is this topic about.
What's this doing in Sisters Chat?

WWI started 28th July 1914

The Football Game was supposed to have taken place on Christmas Day 1914 between the front lines close to Ypres

If you haven't visited Ypres and the Menin Gate, you should.
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Righto Ted.

We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Dan
Overbomber

Andie wrote:What's this doing in Sisters Chat?
The topic title makes it look like it's going to be a post about how the OP thinks there'll be no Sisters gig in 2014.

Perhaps this will be the year we'll get a tour and a WWI-themed concept album to go with it. Perhaps not. Roger Waters is probably doing that one as it's more his style. And it'll be very dreary.

And as for the Xmas football match almost bringing about the end of WWI. Nice idea but no.
It was kept fairly secret with some people not believing it even happened for decades afterwards.
If their superiors had found out the participants would have been shot for being traitors, because that's how they behaved back then.
Last edited by Dan on 16 Jan 2014, 15:58, edited 2 times in total.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Skip Intro wrote:A bunch of rival soccer players almost bought about the absolute end of World War One (in 1914, exactly a hundred years from today) by resolving their differences with a football...
how was this exactly a hundred years from "today"? christmas 1914 was only 99 years before christmas 2013 -the one we've just had- (obviously )... and the post date for the above quote is jan 14 anyway :roll:
honestly, bring back the kitchens. :twisted:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

I like hedgehogs.
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Dan
Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
Skip Intro wrote:A bunch of rival soccer players almost bought about the absolute end of World War One (in 1914, exactly a hundred years from today) by resolving their differences with a football...
how was this exactly a hundred years from "today"? christmas 1914 was only 99 years before christmas 2013 -the one we've just had- (obviously )... and the post date for the above quote is jan 14 anyway :roll:
honestly, bring back the kitchens. :twisted:
You mean Kitchener? :P
eastmidswhizzkid

:lol: :notworthy:

Joy
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

"Music is there to enrich your life and make you aware of things in a slightly different way."
Dan
Overbomber

And as for "no chance for the Sisters in 2014", I had a dream the night before last - they were doing a secret gig, Near Meth was never mentioned so perhaps using another name, and there were loads of new songs in the setlist and it was truly awesome. But I remember no other details other than that.
I'm not one for having premonitions though so nothing will come of it. Ah well.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I think this thread can safely be moved to "General Chat". It's certainly way off topic for "Sisters Chat".
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
eastmidswhizzkid

though it's a long time since our chairman's incurred wrath was a likey consequence... :von:

markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Yeah, I wonder what's happened to him? QB might know...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
eastmidswhizzkid

markfiend wrote:Yeah, I wonder what's happened to him? QB might know...
well... i think it's altogether possible that he can't be bothered now there's no chance of people thinking he was really Johnny... :innocent: :wink: ;D

markfiend
goriller of form 3b

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
markfiend wrote:Yeah, I wonder what's happened to him? QB might know...
well... i think it's altogether possible that he can't be bothered now there's no chance of people thinking he was really Johnny... :innocent: :wink: ;D
Hahaha no.

And you're getting no clues as to the Chairman's real identity from me.
—Bertrand Russell