Advice on online fundraising platforms

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

A friend is planning a charity fundraising event and is hoping to get some donations online. She's currently trying to choose a fundraising website (ie one that processes online donations on her behalf) but is unsure which one to go for because they generally charge a small fee and she wants to make sure she keeps the biggest cut she can for the charity.

A few people have posted links to similar fundraisers here in the past and I wondered whether anyone had any insights that would help her make the decision. Are there any sites that let you keep 100% of the funds? If not, which one takes the smallest cut? Are there any other considerations that would make it worth considering one of the sites that takes a slightly bigger cut?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Pista
Cureboi

I believe you have to actually stump up a percentage of the funds yourself & you're totally responsible for marketing too.
Pledge seems to be the weapon of choice for many at the moment.
Maybe get a hold of Si Denbigh on twitter or farcebook & ask him about Pledge.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Pista wrote:I believe you have to actually stump up a percentage of the funds yourself & you're totally responsible for marketing too.
Pledge seems to be the weapon of choice for many at the moment.
Maybe get a hold of Si Denbigh on twitter or farcebook & ask him about Pledge.
She's not trying to raise a set amount. It's just a sponsors/donations thing. It's not even anything big - she's doing a bunjee jump and has asked everyone to tell everyone they know for obvious reasons. So she needs a way for people she doesn't know and won't meet in person to be able to donate. So she doesn't have to provide any funds herself but all the websites she's found take a percentage of whatever's raised cos that's how they make their money. She's trying to find the one that takes least unless there's one that takes nothing (unlikely) or one that doesn't take the least but might be safer or more reliable etc.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Kerry used JustGiving *ahem*. They take 5%. There's a more detailed breakdown of who takes what fees here.

The only downside is that the charity your friend wants to give to needs to have signed up as a JustGiving recipient. I've no idea how to go about that if they haven't already set it up.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

markfiend wrote:Kerry used JustGiving *ahem*. They take 5%. There's a more detailed breakdown of who takes what fees here.

The only downside is that the charity your friend wants to give to needs to have signed up as a JustGiving recipient. I've no idea how to go about that if they haven't already set it up.
Yeah, I'd noticed the JustGiving fee when I checked out your friend's one yesterday. (Payday tomorrow, I'll donate then.) Didn't realise the charity had to sign up though, which is exactly the sort of extra info I was looking for. Do you have any idea why Kerry chose JustGiving over the other options?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Erm...

It was the easiest, and her charity was already on there!

And she's not my friend, she's my wife ;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

markfiend wrote:Erm...

It was the easiest, and her charity was already on there!

And she's not my friend, she's my wife ;D
Hah!