The essence of Eldritch

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

F off and do not come back again, please?
James Blast
Banned

I LOL'd Bart
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
XidiouX
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Dear Being645,

To hear a very good remake....

http://www.remix64.com/track/tim-forsyt ... show-edit/

XidiouX
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Bartek wrote:F off and do not come back again, please?
:notworthy: Not sure if the "please" fits in with the overall tone of the message but that's allegedly the benefit of a private education. How about "Come over and f--- me and marry me young".
Being645
Wiki Wizard

XidiouX wrote:Dear Being645,

To hear a very good remake....

http://www.remix64.com/track/tim-forsyt ... show-edit/

XidiouX
Hi XidiouX,

thanks for the link ... :D ... hihi, it does indeed have a certain "bananarama venus" type feel after 2:40 ... :lol: ...

... makes me dream of the more exciting soundtrack of series 3 of The Killing ...

Btw, I noted that one season of Beck uses Bowie's I'm Deranged as soundtrack ... great sound ... ;D ...
LyanvisAberrant
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

The personification of doom itself.

With pink flowers on the side and a cherry on the top.
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard

James Blast wrote:Sad old rock git with a hint of bus station looney.
:lol:
You still think swastikas look cool
The real nazis run your schools
They're coaches, businessmen and cops
In a real fourth reich you'll be the first to go
XidiouX

Of course not. He needs anyThing he can get.

It was three words repeated three times, three consecutive words in SKOS to be more specific, with the existing irony of the song compounded by him being dressed in white.

XidiouX
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

XidiouX wrote:
Of course not. He needs anyThing he can get.

It was three words repeated three times, three consecutive words in SKOS to be more specific, with the existing irony of the song compounded by him being dressed in white.

XidiouX
You are such a tease @XidiouX. Are you wanting us to guess ?
"I was leaving" ?
"Secondhand and useless" ( assuming you used to sell used Mercedes) ?
Tell me later.
XidiouX

"I ... ..."

XidiouX
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

I don't care ?
I can wait ?
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard

James Blast wrote:Sad old rock git with a hint of bus station looney.
:lol:
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard

:lol: :notworthy:
XidiouX

Surely not. That would require a comma.

XidiouX
Victim of Circumstance
Slight Overbomber

So, then, I assume you're not willing to tell us?

@Bartek: Good guess :notworthy: :lol:
Kommt Zeit,
kommt Rat,
kommt Attentat.
XidiouX

Well, Nik got it down to two. But which one?

XidiouX
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Definitely "I can wait".
XidiouX

XidiouX

Being645 wrote:Btw, I noted that one season of Beck uses Bowie's I'm Deranged as soundtrack ... great sound ... ;D ...
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this point. I love 1. Outside and saw Bowie on the Outside tour in Glasgow SECC. I was awestruck for two hours by what I perceived at the time to be a kind of a super-Eldritch. At the time, I thought a certain kind of extrapolation was valid.

That was until I read Von's interview with Him on this topic. In my view, this, holding it by the corner at arms' length with the fingers of my other hand closing my nose (with both upper appendages occupied you'll have to use your imagination about what's doing the typing here) was every bit as agenda-laden, gratuitously nasty, shallow and ultimately jealous as the worst of Sisters coverage by the UK music press. Ironic? You bet.

Er...so, whatever happened to 2. Contamination, eh Dave?

XidiouX
Last edited by XidiouX on 05 May 2014, 01:27, edited 13 times in total.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

there was a young man from nantucket
who's dick was so long he could suck it
he said with a grin
as he wiped off his chin
if my ear was a cunt i could fuck it (despite the risk of contracting hearing AIDS)

LSD 25....MR 2....AK 47...... :wink:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I also thought Eldritch's review of the incredibly excellent Outside said a lot more about Eldritch than it did about either Outside or Bowie
And unfortunately I reckon Contamination is scheduled for release shortly after the next Sisters' studio offering
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Being645
Wiki Wizard

XidiouX wrote:
Being645 wrote:Btw, I noted that one season of Beck uses Bowie's I'm Deranged as soundtrack ... great sound ... ;D ...
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this point. I love 1. Outside and saw Bowie on the Outside tour in Glasgow SECC. I was awestruck for two hours by what I perceived at the time to be a kind of a super-Eldritch. At the time, I thought a certain kind of extrapolation was valid.

That was until I read Von's interview with Him on this topic. In my view, this, holding it by the corner at arms' length with the fingers of my other hand closing my nose (with both upper appendages occupied you'll have to use your imagination about what's doing the typing here) was every bit as agenda-laden, gratuitously nasty, shallow and ultimately jealous as the worst of Sisters coverage by the UK music press. Ironic? You bet.

Er...so, whatever happened to 2. Contamination, eh Dave?

XidiouX
Hah, funny anybody would say this now ... I think Outside did more for Eldritch than his decade long daily prayers of "I'm not Goth" ... only Eldritch seems/seemed to lack certain angles of perspectve or - unnecessarily - interpretes them in a way ungood ... which, especially in this case, turns out as ironic as could be ... to put it mildly (one could also break out in tears) ... but hell, who of us never made that mistake ... and it's so long ago now, anyway ...

2. Contamination ... yeah, but who ... the music press, the video game industries ... *sigh, suffer, weep ... Outside is top on my list of underrated and under-regarded albums, despite the amount of attention it got on release ... and everybody knew that Bowie was not infallible ...

Oh, and yes, I did pray (before Outside) that Bowie would release a new album exactly because of Andrew Eldritch, and because of The Sisters of Mercy and the sucking situation they were in; and yes I did dream that Bowie might produce The Sisters' next album ... but hell, you can't have everything ... and not with Eldritch, anyway ... :innocent:

Btw, Hours (1999) has some extremely great tracks, too ... New Angels Of Promise for example ...
XidiouX

Hours, indeed, is a terrific record, although my favourites tracks are If I'm Dreaming My Life and Something in the Air. Thursday's Child get's an honourable mention.

I don't know exactly what he was trying to prove with Earthling - what we got instead of the eagerly-awaited 2. Contamination. I bought it as a birthday present for a friend. He told me it sounded like his washing machine.

I agree, and have a somewhat unorthodox opinion of what constitutes Bargain Bin Bowie. I actually like Never Let Me Down and think it's an excellent album from start to finish and that Earthling is a turd, for a variety of reasons.

And yes, I like both Tin Machine albums! You Belong in Rock and Roll - Bowie as UTG Eldritch.

I thought Heathen and, to a lesser extent, Reality, were very good, but the new one? Listened to it twice and was saddened on both occasions in the same way and for the same reasons I was by Siouxsie's last album: no matter how good the songwriting, production etc., if the artist can't sing anymore...

....I'm not ageist - consider how awesome Leonard Cohen's voice has become over the years, by adapting to change. Now, if Bowie stuck to baritone, and perhaps Siouxsie too...

XidiouX

[/i]
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Longest neglected first ... sorry, Xidioux, for taking so long to react.
New Angels of Promise is THE masterpiece of Hours to me. Bowie in his best brilliance and tradition. All the other tracks you mention are great as well. I would also add The Pretty Things Are Going To Hell ... just nice ... but maybe one has to be born in the 60ies to enjoy it in full. There are things in this world, which have actively been eradicated patiently over the decades... :wink: ...

Hihi, yes. Earthling is the one album, I've listened to the least. Well, there's Little Wonder on it, Seven Years In Tibet and Dead Man Walking, all of which I like. Maybe I should give it another listen...

I've loved Never Let Me Down, but sometimes it just too much New York 90ies to me ... too loud in parts and too busy.

Heathen - wonderful, Reality - great, although She'll Drive The Big Car is one of the few Bowie song that makes me vomit, despite all understanding ... I can't put up with that (like with some background vocals of other tracks at times). I know it's wrong and I do respect the art behind, but nooo-oooh, NO!, I cannot undergo that stuff ... for others it might be saving their live. That's enough for me to know, but I won't touch it if not necessary.

So far I like The Next Day. I've ordered the Limited Edition CD/DVD Box ... which is, however still awaiting unpacking ... Where Are We Now?
I'm so busy recently, mostly with clearing stuff off from my flat, sorting papers and documents which have piled up since 2008 ... :oops: :lol: ... OK, at least all these papers are sorted by now, but there is more to do... *sigh ... first steps to create some more ground under my feet again ... though I wonder: again? Is there really a reason? Another two decades of flattening non-existence and finish could do as well...

Oh, I nearly forgot - Tin Machine, yes. Prisoner Of Love, I Can't Read, Amazing, Baby Can Dance, and Tin Machine II - One Shot Took Her Away, Baby Universe ... You Belong in Rock'n Roll is lovely but my favourite track is You Can't Talk. There is sufficient stuff on these records, that I really don't want to listen to ... too noisy, too over-something ... but the good tracks absolutely compensate the inconvenience of having to switch.

Souxie? I don't really know her stuff... hhm, maybe a world to explore ... hach, there's still such a lot to explore ... ;D ...

Voices age like all creatures age. But even the oldest voice can express a meaning, and often enough better and more touching than any young over-motivated, bomb-shattered ... err, child ...

Btw, do you know Paolo Conte - A Gelato à Limon, Gelato à Limon, Gelato à Limon ... :lol: ...
James Blast
Banned

You are mental!
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele