RIP Tony Benn

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

A rare animal these days, a politician with principles. We will not see his like again.

RIP to "the most dangerous man in Britain" as the Sun once dubbed him.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Johnny Rev 7.0
Banned

Agreed.

I was a Thatcherite back in the day, but always had time to step back, take an objective view, and admire him for his principles.
Tony Benn wrote:I try to operate on two unconnected levels. One on the practical level of action in which I am extremely cautious and conservative. The second is the realm of ideas where I try to be very free.
I have no interest in UK politics anymore. Look at all the shite MPs today who twist and bend like a sapling, depending on which way they think the favoured wind is blowing.

RIP Tony.
What a season
to be beautiful
without a reason
James Blast
Banned

Nuclear Police, just sayin' like...
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

regardless of which "side" you're on, principles are indeed a rarity amongst politicians. and apart from completely being taken in by Ali G, the man was nobody's fool either. an actual sad day for british politics (rather than just a sad day politically).

R.I.P "wedgie" benn.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

There was a great interview with his old adversary Denis Healey on BBC news last night, about how suspicious they all were that his letter-than-thou principles were merely an attempt to try to distance himself from his silver spoon background, and that he had only really warmed to him in retirement.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Ironic that TB passed away in the week this was announced :

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... in-6833514
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard

markfiend wrote:A rare animal these days, a politician with principles. We will not see his like again.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
You still think swastikas look cool
The real nazis run your schools
They're coaches, businessmen and cops
In a real fourth reich you'll be the first to go
elamanamou
Slight Overbomber

BillyBadBreaks wrote:
markfiend wrote:A rare animal these days, a politician with principles. We will not see his like again.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Saw tony Benn a few yrs ago. Truly ashamed of his upper class background. Dropped his inherited title Viscount Stansgate so he could remain in the house of Commons. For the working class?? Mmm How can he be for the working class when really he didn't have a clue? Against private schools, but sent his own children to prep school then comprehensive and they had private tutors at home!! Strange his son Stephen has now inherited the peerage Viscount Stansgate who now can sit in the house of Lords. Tony opposed the house of Lords!! Interesting man, but really he should of been in the Tory party!!
elamanamou
Slight Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:regardless of which "side" you're on, principles are indeed a rarity amongst politicians. and apart from completely being taken in by Ali G, the man was nobody's fool either. an actual sad day for british politics (rather than just a sad day politically).

R.I.P "wedgie" benn.
That was so funny with Ali G and saying the "miners were lazy because they wanted to chill"" :lol: