"Damage Done" cover photo

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Fodderstompf
Amphetamine Filth

This may have been asked before, but does anybody know
where the front cover photo comes from? A still from a
movie perhaps?
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

I seem to remember someone once saying that it's a still from a short film depicting a Victorian funeral procession.

No idea if that's correct, or what the film was.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

I think that may have been me and I couldn't remember if I'd read that somewhere or just thought that's what it looked like.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Record Collector suggested that, but which church? I have my own ideas after too many years of looking. you would think someone would recognise it. Then we could turn it into a sisters shrine
Goths have feelings too
deirfiur
Amphetamine Filth

Sisters Shrine.. Sweet suffering Jesus.....

Austin Powers would be a better role model.. still stuck in the past
paint it black

according to modern folklore, Jesus loves the sisters, so i doubt he'll be suffering too much

other shrines are available, usual terms and conditions apply.
Goths have feelings too
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

paint it black wrote:Record Collector suggested that, but which church? I have my own ideas after too many years of looking. you would think someone would recognise it. Then we could turn it into a sisters shrine
I recall someone once saying that the church in question was in Walsall (in English West Midlands region known as the Black Country so suitably goff !).
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

paint it black wrote:Record Collector suggested that, but which church? I have my own ideas after too many years of looking. you would think someone would recognise it. Then we could turn it into a sisters shrine
Maybe that's where I read it.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

We discussed the church at least a few times, so the correct info is for sure in some thread, i guess its not the church suggested above as you can see. I would Have to check some old harddiscs
love is just a shot away
taylor
Slight Overbomber

Last time I spoked with Gary Marx, he doesnt remember which pic were used :(
paint it black

taylor wrote:Last time I spoked with Gary Marx, he doesnt remember which pic were used :(
good that you asked him Taylor. Shame though... we need a shrine
Goths have feelings too
paint it black

taking the link above, there is a St John's Church, Walsall which, though heavily modified, looks like it might fit the bill
Goths have feelings too
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The church and its surrounding wall on the Damage Done cover look to me as though they're flint-built and that St John's in Walsall is brick.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

For reference.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
million voices
Slight Overbomber

There's a church near me rather similar to that
But it doesn't have the cross on the top so I guess it's not the genuine article.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
paint it black

well from my studies over the years and not that comprehensive :lol:

it's probably late Saxon/ early Norman so C12 or there about

it's quite unusual in that the tower (assuming there is one is to the right). The majority are to the left - unless it's a back entrance - which makes this even more unusual

it's quite unusual in that there appears to be only one window, normally they are in pairs

after over analyzing DD for too long, :lol: the entrance is to be assumed to be near the middle of the church

as Mark points out, it's Saxon style stone, not brick

it's small (so possibly a private chapel) and that is reinforced by the fact that the entrance into the church is such a short distance from the main entrance

there does seem to be (possibly~) some tall gravestones to the left of shot

we found reptile house cover, this should be a doddle
Last edited by paint it black on 15 Apr 2014, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.
Goths have feelings too
streamline
Slight Overbomber

million voices wrote:There's a church near me rather similar to that
But it doesn't have the cross on the top so I guess it's not the genuine article.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You must be near the Japanese bootleg abbey!

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

I think Norman windows were generally (but not always) rounded at the top rather than coming to a point.

The single lancet window on the church is - snigger - Gothic in shape, with minimal ornamentation, so I'm going to go for a period 100 years later than PiB suggested and say it's Early English Gothic architecture circa 1200-1300 - unless of course we're dealing with some late 19th Century Gothic Revival monstrosity.

Flint was used as a construction material for churches in this period, especially on the Southern half of England - anywhere from Cornwall to the South Downs and as far north as East Anglia.

Edit to add: I'd put money on the church being dedicated to "St Andrew".
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Having been dragged round more than a few churches as a child by a father who regarded Pevsner as something of a saint, I would agree with the Gothic diagnosis for the windows.
My eye was always drawn more to the gates which have an unusual cross carving not dissimilar to the old (fascistic) British Movement logo. These are quite distinctive so should help to identify the church but possibly no longer in existence. Most church gates have been wrought iron for the past century or so. Is there an ecclesiastical architecture forum we could turn to for help ?
Incidentally I've always found the "funeral procession" description odd too, given what the chap on the left is wearing ...
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:...My eye was always drawn more to the gates which have an unusual cross carving not dissimilar to the old (fascistic) British Movement logo....
It's a Celtic cross. Quite common in Cornish churches I believe (as was flint as a construction material, as I mentioned above)
paint it black

thanks for the info guys,

agree, i've never thought it likely it was a funeral procession, perhaps the matching hats ** with black band mean something.. will keep looking

i know they're boaters
Goths have feelings too
BigPhil
Amphetamine Filth

Always thought the girl at the front was photoshopped, 80's style naturally :lol:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I would go further than PiB: the fact that there's a cross on the top of the gable-end suggests that the church doesn't have a tower at all.

Re the clothing: it looks to me just like standard late-Victorian or Edwardian clothing; I wonder if it's just a normal Sunday service?

Actually, just a thought, is it even necessarily a church at all? I know the crosses are suggestive, but other buildings do have them.
—Bertrand Russell
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

maybe a private chapel in the grounds of some big country house? :?:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat: