Best single of 2004

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

I believe in a thing called love? Nope

This is -

http://www.ministryofsound.com/Music/Si ... dyRock.htm
Goths have feelings too
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

Well that was because it was out in 2003 deary!!!!

There's been no good singles in '04 yet, they've all been sh*te
Only a paand.
MAtT
Road Kill

Two of my faves so far are probably Outkast's "Hey Ya" and Dido's "Life For Rent". But I am a popster.[/i]
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

MAtT wrote:Two of my faves so far are probably Outkast's "Hey Ya"
Oh Cheesy balls, I'd forgotten about that one!!! I actually do like it, makes me all happy and stuff (And dance on a hospital ward when it comes on the radio and you think no-one's watching :oops: )
Only a paand.
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

MAtT wrote:Two of my faves so far are probably Outkast's "Hey Ya" and Dido's "Life For Rent". But I am a popster.
dido?!? dear god, i bet it was you that bought all those copies of the beautiful south's greatest hits as well. for pity's sake, dido's records actually leave less of an impression than this. it's such dreary, middle-class, dinner-party music; especially formulated to be utterly and totally non-intrusive. i mean what is the point? why would anybody go out of their way to produce something so bland. it's like the aural equivalent of painting your living room in magnolia. only not quite as interesting. she even makes the corrs sound interesting.....
Last edited by RicheyJames on 19 Jan 2004, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

i'm agreeing with him again *faints*
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

It is very dull, I have to confess. But there is clearly a market for dinner-party music, and these people aren't going to listen to Sepultura over their stuffed aubergines, are they? I'd rather it was Dido than Toploader.
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

RicheyJames wrote:
MAtT wrote:Two of my faves so far are probably Outkast's "Hey Ya" and Dido's "Life For Rent". But I am a popster.[/i]
dido?!? dear god, i bet it was you that bought all those copies of the beautiful south's greatest hits as well. for pity's sake, dido's records actually leave less of an impression than this. it's such dreary, middle-class, dinner-party music; especially formulated to be utterly and totally non-intrusive. i mean what is the point? why would anybody go out of their way to produce something so bland. it's like the aural equivalent of painting your living room in magnolia. only not quite as interesting. she even makes the corrs sound interesting.....[/url]
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Kill Dido
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber

MrChris wrote:It is very dull, I have to confess. But there is clearly a market for dinner-party music, and these people aren't going to listen to Sepultura over their stuffed aubergines, are they? I'd rather it was Dido than Toploader.
I'd listen to Sepultura over stuffed aubergines!!!

Your avatar..........bloody good looking 'man' lol <not that I'm gay or owt>
Only a paand.
MAtT
Road Kill

lol... the beautiful south buyer certainly wasn't me - they are one the very few bands/artists that i really can't stand.

Dido on the other hand I like a lot. Thought "White Flag" was very good - and there's a few others on the albums i like quite a lot.

To me the MOR dinner party stuff you talk about would be the likes of Martine McCutchan, Will Young, the pop idol people and the like...

Granted Dido adds nothing to the evolution of pop - but for me it has a very slight edge over the above. Not as much as groups like Sugababes or Tatu tho - they are great pop acts...
Last edited by MAtT on 19 Jan 2004, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber

<coughs uncontrollably>
Only a paand.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

last time i had a posh dinner party we played gun club
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Sexygoth wrote:Well that was because it was out in 2003 deary!!!
Shut it up, just shut up Shut up Just shut up Shut
up [3x] Shut it up, just shut up [Chorus]

Ahem... Am I ever wrong? I don't think so dreary :wink:

out 9th Feb 2004. it's a new song, not the crap one you're thinking of :roll:
Goths have feelings too
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber

Well I'm sorry, but i make no apologies for that
Only a paand.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Sexygoth wrote:Well I'm sorry, but i make no apologies for that
Now there's an interesting sentence. :wink:
Chris

Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

I played Carry On Up The Charts to death a few years ago. You can't knock Old Red Eyes, surely? Mind you, I was once the proud owner of Boney M's Greatest Hits. And Darts'. While I'm in the dock, I'd ask for Supertramp and The Eagles to be taken into consideration as well. Oooh! It's decades since I've been to confession. I might have to try it again now I've done some things worth repenting.
Go to sleep now, Francis.
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber

It's great isn't it? Knicked it from Paul Calf............
Only a paand.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Aha, I smelled the provenance of someone truly great. Keep up the good work.
Chris

zigeunerweisen
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

RicheyJames wrote:. she even makes the corrs sound interesting.....
Eek. Who is this Dido person?
zigeunerweisen
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

MrChris wrote:It is very dull, I have to confess. But there is clearly a market for dinner-party music, and these people aren't going to listen to Sepultura over their stuffed aubergines, are they? I'd rather it was Dido than Toploader.
True, i have to agree with that. If some people like that kind of music (i don't know what kind it is as i haven't listened to it yet), let'em.

Live and let live i say.

If i told you some of my guilty pleasures hehe....
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber

zigeunerweisen wrote: Eek. Who is this Dido person?
Some silly bint who Eminem made famous :roll:
Only a paand.
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

MAtT wrote:To me the MOR dinner party stuff you talk about would be the likes of Martine McCutchan, Will Young, the pop idol people and the like...

Granted Dido adds nothing to the evolution of pop - but for me it has a very slight edge over the above. Not as much as groups like Sugababes or Tatu tho - they are great pop acts...
i'm sorry but you've really lost me here. in what way is dido any different to all that other pap? you could sneak dido into a pop idol audition and nobody would even notice. that's what i find so awful about her and her ilk: their utter nothingness. in fact, she's so dull i'm not sure i can even sustain this rant any longer.........
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"
MAtT
Road Kill

Believe me, there's a difference. You probably have to be into your pop music to notice it - but there is a difference!

Maybe I'm wrong and you are into your pop, but if not then maybe you can appreciate that if someone who only liked pop and never listened much or took an interest in goth/dark music may not notics the difference between the sisters and marilyn mansun - because it's all just crappy goth music.... or someone who never listened to drum and bass couldn't tell the difference between general levi and roni size because it's all just crappy drum and bass?!?

Then again maybe i'm wrong and you really like abba ;-)
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber

Mr manson is a big arse feck and no mistake
Only a paand.
MAtT
Road Kill

OMG, i can't believe the board edits "c r a p p y" out! ;D