"Beach"

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
kafka
Amphetamine Filth

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I was wondering what everyone thought about Von's use of "Beach" both on the website and their twitter page.

My first guess is that it's an allusion to Ozymandias, and thus to Dominion... but it's just a guess. Anybody have any insights?
[repeat x40]
mh
Above the Chemist

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Not necessarily on a beach. It could just as easily be a reference to the closing scene of the Shawshank Redemption.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

damn, that's an impressv leap... i thought it was a reference to the gigs on a beach (and aligned that to a summer holiday) smae with the summer tour :oops:
Goths have feelings too
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

paint it black wrote:damn, that's an impressv leap... i thought it was a reference to the gigs on a beach (and aligned that to a summer holiday) smae with the summer tour :oops:
It wold make sort of sense, they add the 'Beach' on the main-page of the website in 2009, fews days after announcing the south-american tour.
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

"beach" appeared on their site, AFAIK, about when they were going to play at some festival at the sea, on the beach (Turkey?), but of course literature references are good as always.
Last edited by Bartek on 28 May 2014, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.
kafka
Amphetamine Filth

Yeah, I might be overthinking it. It looks like there's some related discussion back here: https://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=213267 ... he's certainly been using "beach" for concerts for a long time. But it did make me think of Dominion as a response to stage fright: meeting the fear that lies in side by looking out at the audience. Who knows.
[repeat x40]
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

life's a beach and then you dislexik.
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Suleiman
Amphetamine Filth

weebleswobble wrote:life's a beach and then you dislexik.
No, it's a ditch.
Johnny Rev 7.0
Banned

:lol:
What a season
to be beautiful
without a reason
centurionofprix

I thought it might be an allusion to the Congo/the Nung/the South China Sea. You know, a Kurtz gone down the river, smell of napalm thing.

Otherwise, it could be another formulation of the dual fascinations of the band itself, like "Elvis meets Kierkegaard" - the philosophical, existential side encapsulated in "redemption", the art and the science of having a good time in "beach".

Or both.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Perhaps it is another of :von: 's multilingual puns (after Gift and Because). After all, he's always been a bit of a playa.
NickW
Amphetamine Filth

I always thought it started when they played the Belga Beach Festival
Just one of the pesky kids
Joy

NickW wrote:I always thought it started when they played the Belga Beach Festival
"I like playing a nice festival site with plenty of sunshine (especially if the sun's going down just as we turn our lights on). Trees and water optional but appreciated. Belga Beach was indeed a day at the beach, and the Woodstage festival in eastern Germany was delightful."
"Music is there to enrich your life and make you aware of things in a slightly different way."
andrewd
Road Kill

Btw "Beach" in Russian pronunciation (Бич) means "Scourge"(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scourge) or "Knout" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knout).
Бич - now one of the synonyms of the term "homeless", from English "Beach"and originally meant put ashore unemployed sailors (English "beachcomber").
czuczu
Overbomber

NickW wrote:I always thought it started when they played the Belga Beach Festival
This
Johnny Rev 7.0
Banned

They played Crystal Palace (athletics stadium) the week after Belga. From memory, isn't there a Vonism on the CP boot along the lines of: "Just another day at the beach..." ?

I wasn't at the gig, but assuming the stage was set across one of the running track bends, Andrew could observe the long-jump and triple-jump pits full of sand? Whist fondly remembering Belga?

I no longer have any Sisters' shiney-silver-things so maybe an anorak, sorry! dedicated fan, can have a listen?
What a season
to be beautiful
without a reason
TheBoyNextDoor

"A day at the beach, part 2". Crystal Palace

While searching for an old review from the gig I found these articles from Crystal Palace event:
http://www.dmtvarchives.com/forum/index ... ic=570.150
Quite a nice read.
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard

Maybe means nothing :lol:
You still think swastikas look cool
The real nazis run your schools
They're coaches, businessmen and cops
In a real fourth reich you'll be the first to go