Best single of 2004

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

MAtT wrote:Believe me, there's a difference. You probably have to be into your pop music to notice it - but there is a difference!
why should i have to "believe" you? if there does exist a definable difference between the music of dido and that of, for example, will young then it should be possible for this difference to be objectively defined. i can only assume from your continual attempts to evade the debate that the stupor induced by listening to more than a few seconds of dido's mind-sapping pap leaves you incapable of rational discourse.

and, for your information, i can easily recognise a good pop tune. the aural wallpaper churned out by dido et al does not fit the bill....
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"
MAtT
Road Kill

It's a well-known expression, not a plea for understanding! If you can show me the formula for objectively defining music i'd be most grateful. Perhaps we could score it out of 100 on a points-based system? ;)

To get you in the mood here's some testers:

1. Objectively define the difference (if any) between The Rubette's "Sugar Baby Love" and the Sisters' cover of said tune. Which (if any) is pop?

2. Name me a "good" pop tune. Define "good"

*chuckles*
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

Oh dear.............
<Sits back with some popcorn>
Only a paand.
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Actually saw Dido live once. It was a gig at Shepherd's Bush that I was reviewing for the paper I worked for at that time.

Really enjoyed the gig, thought she had a good voice and there were some interesting songs.

Then I bought the album (the first one). What a disappointment. Bland, vapid: the musical equivalent of a Big Mac. It's close to being music but it isn't actually the same thing.

Conclusion: there's a good act waiting to get out of her, but while she (or her record company) are interested in selling records it won't emerge in a hurry.

As for attempting to objectively quantify the quality of different types of music, anyone seen the opening of Dead Poets Society?
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i have these:

Dummy by Portishead
Play by Moby
Is This it by The Strokes (and yes, sadly that was it. :urff:)
OK Computer by Radiohead
Protection by Massive Attack

:roll:

but for none of the reasons they put forward...

my reasons?

Dummy by Portishead
because the production is superb, the arrangements wonderous and her voice very sexy :) torch songs to die for.

Play by Moby
got most of moby's other stuff (albums, 12"s etc) so this was just a logical extension. and its much better than his bloody "happy hardcore" rubbish!

Is This it by The Strokes (and yes, sadly that was it. :urff:)
ok, i'll admit it. i saw it cheap and wondered what the fuss was about. i listened to the first few seconds of the first few tracks in the store and heard some stooges-esque tones so i bought it. took it home and listened to it 3 times, sick of it now. the songs go absolutely nowhere. 2 dimensional at best :roll:

OK Computer by Radiohead
see moby

Protection by Massive Attack
see radiohead

hmm, what demographic does thet make me?
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

I have Alanis and that's it! AND IT BLOODY WELL DOES NOT MAKE ME A DILDO FAN!!!!!!!
Only a paand.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

and back at the thread...

'When The Rush Comes' by Motorcycle - roll on the summer festivals, 3AM, defying the Geneva Convention,

or that Boogie Pimps number, or is that Best Video of 2004. :innocent:

or could that belong to Kelis (only to be enjoyed with strategic employment of the mute button).
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
MAtT
Road Kill

andymackem wrote:As for attempting to objectively quantify the quality of different types of music, anyone seen the opening of Dead Poets Society?
lol, yeah :)

From the guardian thing i have:

Dummy by Portishead
Tracy Chapman
Parachutes by Coldplay
The Man Who by Travis
Play by Moby
Angel by Dido
Urban Hymns by The Verve
OK Computer by Radiohead
Jagged Little Pill by Alanis Morrisette
What's the Story Morning Glory by Oasis
Legend by Bob Marley
Bedtime Stories by Madonna
Solitude Standing by Suzanne Vega

*chuckle*

But again - not for most of the reasons listed there... I just like most music. I also have:

http://greyarea2971.tripod.com/My_Stuff ... _Music.htm

And that's about 1000 or so tracks out of date...
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber

Yes, but are quite proud of the fact you listen to Dido for some really bizarre reason
Only a paand.
MAtT
Road Kill

I'm neither proud nor ashamed of the fact. It's just music that i happen to enjoy subjectively. Should I be proud or ashamed that i like carrots?
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber

you should be very ashamed of yourself young man, they are the food of the devil!
Only a paand.
MAtT
Road Kill

:D

Luckily my question was rhetorical. I don't like carrots. Unless they are canned. (think of the can as like one of those magic protective circles around the demon that is carotti)

:?:
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Sure.
MAtT wrote:I happen to enjoy subjectively.

8)
MAtT
Road Kill

:)
Last edited by MAtT on 20 Jan 2004, 17:17, edited 2 times in total.
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber

carrot..............Dido............Dildo!!!!! OH dear, I see a pattern emerging..............
Only a paand.
MAtT
Road Kill

Sexygoth wrote:carrot..............Dido............Dildo!!!!! OH dear, I see a pattern emerging..............
now she gets it. now she sees... ;)
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber

shut it, fartwinkle
Only a paand.
MAtT
Road Kill

Is that a technical term?

*shuts it*
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber

Yes it is.....It's the first thing nurses learn to say, after drinking Tizer pretending that how you check for urine infections!!! mwhahahahahahaha
Only a paand.
MAtT
Road Kill

:lol:
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

As for the Guardian thing, I have:

No Angel (see earlier post);
OK Computer (friends' recommendation. Still mixed views on R'head);
Different Class (because I like it, and His'n'Hers which I bought when it first came out).

I also have the second Portishead album, but not Dummy. Haven't listened to it in ages. Don't think I have anything by any of the other artists, though I do have Belinda Carlisle's Greatest Hits.

So, what do I win?
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
James Blast
Banned

I have high hopes for Snow Patrol and Franz Ferdinand.

oh... and I own Morning Glory and Protection.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Red Sunsets wrote:I have high hopes for Snow Patrol and Franz Ferdinand.

oh... and I own Morning Glory and Protection.
franz ferdinand are great :von: :notworthy:

might have known you'd like them! "the new scottish gentry" :roll: :lol: 8)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Sunsonic
Amphetamine Filth

Franz Ferdinand's single is tops and so is the
Eighties Matchbox B-line Disaster single Mister Mental
One life all I need