Radio 2's 100 greatest guitar riffs

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Pista
Cureboi

BBC Radio 2 are having a poll on the 100 greatest guitar riffs.
Radio 2 Top 100 Greatest Guitar Riffs Vote
As part of the Guitar Season of programmes on Radio 2, we're asking you to vote for what you consider to be the Greatest Guitar Riff Ever?

The vote is open from midday on Monday 14 July and closes at 5pm on Friday 25 July 2014.

Tune in to Radio 2 on Monday 25 August to hear the results!

A panel of guitar music experts, made up of Radio 2 presenters, music critics and record producers were selected to pick the 100 guitar riffs, they are: Janice Long – Radio 2 Presenter, Bob Harris – Radio 2 Presenter, Richard Allison - Radio 2 Presenter, Gideon Coe – 6 Music Presenter, Steve Levine – Music Producer, Paul Sexton – Music journalist and broadcaster, Sunday Times, Radio 2, Sian Llewellyn – Editor, Classic Rock Magazine.

For the purpose of this vote a guitar riff has been defined as 'the main hook of a song and must be played principally by a guitar. It often begins the song, but is repeated throughout it, giving the song its distinctive voice.'
Fill yer boots

Or post alternatives they may have missed :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
the-happening
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Pista wrote:BBC Radio 2 are having a poll on the 100 greatest guitar riffs.
Radio 2 Top 100 Greatest Guitar Riffs Vote
As part of the Guitar Season of programmes on Radio 2, we're asking you to vote for what you consider to be the Greatest Guitar Riff Ever?

The vote is open from midday on Monday 14 July and closes at 5pm on Friday 25 July 2014.

Tune in to Radio 2 on Monday 25 August to hear the results!

A panel of guitar music experts, made up of Radio 2 presenters, music critics and record producers were selected to pick the 100 guitar riffs, they are: Janice Long – Radio 2 Presenter, Bob Harris – Radio 2 Presenter, Richard Allison - Radio 2 Presenter, Gideon Coe – 6 Music Presenter, Steve Levine – Music Producer, Paul Sexton – Music journalist and broadcaster, Sunday Times, Radio 2, Sian Llewellyn – Editor, Classic Rock Magazine.

For the purpose of this vote a guitar riff has been defined as 'the main hook of a song and must be played principally by a guitar. It often begins the song, but is repeated throughout it, giving the song its distinctive voice.'
Fill yer boots

Or post alternatives they may have missed :D
Dick Dale every time. :D
"i'm talking about god, devil, hell, do you understand, finally?"
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

due to lack of imagination on the part of the general public, it's a foregone conclusion that Smoke On The Water will win
Pista
Cureboi

Reading this
it follows that they are counting bass guitars too, given that Money's main hook/ signature is the bass line
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Despite Bowie, Nirvana and anybody else (far too many missing anyway) ... for me it always was and forever will be:

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love - Van Halen ... sound of my youth ...

* Can't participate in that vote, though. It's for UK citizens only, but hell ... :wink: ...
Pista
Cureboi

Being645 wrote:
* Can't participate in that vote, though. It's for UK citizens only, but hell ... :wink: ...
You could get creative with IP addresses & UK addresses :innocent:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

I would imagine that Nirvana will be right up there with the current demographic Radio 2 is aiming for.
Think I will probably just go for The Kinks as most of the others seem to be retreads of the original two of three riffs.
Good to see Billy Duffy recognised as a top "riffer" but I'd probably have Daniel Ash, Geordie and (why not) Gary Marx in there too, along with John McGeoch although I believe that it was Howard Devoto who came up with the legendary "Shot By Both Sides" riff.
Pista
Cureboi

How about Von?

The guitar riff for Temple of love is most definitely a signature

:D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

And Lucretia was his too of course, if we're allowed bass riffs. Why not make a separate thread over on "Sisters Chat" ?!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:And Lucretia was his too of course, if we're allowed bass riffs.
[citation needed]
Pista
Cureboi

markfiend wrote:
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:And Lucretia was his too of course, if we're allowed bass riffs.
[citation needed]
:lol: :notworthy:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Being645 wrote:Despite Bowie, Nirvana and anybody else (far too many missing anyway) ... for me it always was and forever will be:

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love - Van Halen ... sound of my youth ...

* thank f**k for that if you're going to vote for Van Halen ;D

it all seems a bit 'token' without holidays in the sun in the list
Goths have feelings too
mh
Above the Chemist

Back in Black but not Highway to Hell? For shame! :evil:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

no "wild flower", "li'l devil" or "love removal machine"? no "the trooper" or "ace of spades"? no "the boys are back in town" or ""parisienne walkways"? no "welcome to the jungle" or "paradise city" ? radio who? ffs...do kerrangg! know about this? :roll:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Pista
Cureboi

I don't see any way to be able to put forward alternative suggestions to the Beeb.
Shame really, as there are some woeful omissions (as you lot have already pointed out).
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Being645 wrote:
paint it black wrote: * Can't participate in that vote, though. It's for UK citizens only, but hell ... :wink: ...
* thank f**k for that if you're going to vote for Van Halen ;D

it all seems a bit 'token' without holidays in the sun in the list
OK, it's actually the only Van Halen track I like ... :lol: ...

Thankfully though, they eventually forgot about Samba Pa Ti ... after decades of sucking a bit of a holiday already ... ;D :lol: ...
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

From that list? Went for Paranoid,which is not even the best Sabs riff of all time.
Wonder whether Von will vote for Miserlou?
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Jeremiah
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Quite surprised "The Passenger" didn't make it onto the list.
I tried to tell her
About Marx and Eldritch, God and angels
I don't really know what for.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Jeremiah wrote:Quite surprised "The Passenger" didn't make it onto the list.
Especially as the Radio 2 definition of a riff is that it's "repeated throughout" the song, which certainly applies to "The Passenger".
Phil
Amphetamine Filth

FFS on what planet does that Radiohead song have a "guitar riff"? There's a few names on that list where it looks like they just had to have them on it to validate it and fooking Radiohead was always going to be one.
Anger Is An Energy
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

There's a whole series of programme's on BBC 4 tomorrow night fitting in with the "Greatest Riffs" theme, apparently.
Pista
Cureboi

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:There's a whole series of programme's on BBC 4 tomorrow night fitting in with the "Greatest Riffs" theme, apparently.
Indeed they are
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Silver_Owl
The Don

Pista wrote:
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:There's a whole series of programme's on BBC 4 tomorrow night fitting in with the "Greatest Riffs" theme, apparently.
Indeed they are
Seems like a good evening of programmes. :D
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Pista
Cureboi

Yeah.
Still bummed that I can't get the iPlayer in Hungary (except for radio stuff).

:|
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Pista wrote:Yeah.
Still bummed that I can't get the iPlayer in Hungary (except for radio stuff).

:|
https://www.tunnelbear.com

:?:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?