ice bucket challenge

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Worse than the plague. Have you been got and what's the point :?
Goths have feelings too
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

not been nominated and won't do it anyway. i can do charity things without the peer pressure, thanks.
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
Mav787
One life, all I need

emilystrange wrote:not been nominated and won't do it anyway. i can do charity things without the peer pressure, thanks.
My thoughts completely. Its become an ego thing, not a charity thing
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Exactly, donor blood, money, clothes, do something without saying and bragging about this.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Bloody annoying, frankly. One the one hand, it's worked to heighten awareness of the condition, on the other it's led to some bloody stupid activities. Then again, I was quite pleased to see that Charlie "Winning!" Sheen managed to actually do something slightly more sensible than tipping a bucking of water over himself. There's hope for the boy yet.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

patrick stewart took ice from the bucket, put it in a crystal glass, and added whisky. now that's sensible.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Oh, yes, ice bucket made by Charlie was fantastic. I'm wondering if Cryer, Kutcher and Lorre did as he asked them.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Lady Gaga did it practically naked and didn't bat an eyelid.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Ice bucket challenge is the new nudie calendar.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

This sums up my view quite nicely:
Regular giving allows charities to plan. It also earns them more income than one off gifts.

[snip]

Here is another suggestion, give a percentage of your income. That way when you get a pay rise your giving will go up too. I give 10% of mine and have done so since my first pay packet. This means I am giving a larger amount now than when I first started work and yet don’t notice it, because I have always given that 10%.
https://medium.com/boagworld/the-ice-bu ... 663fbf6544
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I'm not a Christian, but Jesus has very apt counsel here:
Matthew 6: 2 wrote:Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
iesus
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:I'm not a Christian, but Jesus has very apt counsel here:
Matthew 6: 2 wrote:Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
6.1 - 6.4 goes all together about the same matter as a paragraph
Help people that need help around you and not make a show that you help or drop buckets of ice into your head in youtube videos :notworthy:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Pista
Cureboi

Quiff Boy wrote:This sums up my view quite nicely:
Regular giving allows charities to plan. It also earns them more income than one off gifts.

[snip]

Here is another suggestion, give a percentage of your income. That way when you get a pay rise your giving will go up too. I give 10% of mine and have done so since my first pay packet. This means I am giving a larger amount now than when I first started work and yet don’t notice it, because I have always given that 10%.
https://medium.com/boagworld/the-ice-bu ... 663fbf6544
Until the scumbag Orban knocked it on the head from this year, in Hungary, we were able to donate a percentage of our annual income tax to a charity of our choice.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
nowayjose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

iesus wrote: Help people that need help around you and not make a show that you help or drop buckets of ice into your head in youtube videos :notworthy:
Well, from what I understand, this wasn't just about raising money but also awareness for this rare and rather unknown disease, so the "show" would be part of the good deed in some way.

However, for some of the participants (such as Bill G. and Dubya), this bucket challenge might be more appropriate... :!: :urff:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

iesus wrote:6.1 - 6.4 goes all together about the same matter as a paragraph
Help people that need help around you and not make a show that you help or drop buckets of ice into your head in youtube videos :notworthy:
Exactly right.
Phil
Amphetamine Filth

Anger Is An Energy
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Yeah, it's a bit narcissistic at times, and it's getting mildly annoying, but running through the Lazarus Corporation "Am I turning into a raging Daily Mail reader in my middle age who complains about everything" checklist (patent pending):
  • Does it cause any real physical or mental hurt to me or other people? - nope
  • Does it pose a threat to me or other people? - nope
  • Are there any social negatives arising from it? - well, celebrity egos are probably getting bigger, but that was always an upward trend anyway
  • Are there any social positives arising from it? - apparently it has raised millions of dollars to help investigate cures for a disease, and the viral nature of the "challenge" and the involvement of "celebs" publicly doing the challenge is a key factor in how it managed to raise so much money.
So I guess we're left with a judgement call of whether our annoyance about the ever-inflating egos of celebrities publicly shouting about how they're supporting "cheriddy" in acts that looks suspiciously like yet more self-publicity, and having to scroll past yet another tedious video on Facebook, are more important than a significant amount of money raised to cure a fatal disease.

My only conclusion is "f**k it, my annoyance is less important than possibly helping to cure a disease".
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

lazarus corporation wrote:My only conclusion is "f**k it, my annoyance is less important than possibly helping to cure a disease".
When you put it like that it's hard to disagree.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

and the guy who is in hospital after getting a helicopter to dump huge amounts of water on him might get a darwin award.
Phil
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:
lazarus corporation wrote:My only conclusion is "f**k it, my annoyance is less important than possibly helping to cure a disease".
When you put it like that it's hard to disagree.
True, I feel bad now.
Anger Is An Energy
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

If you put it this way, then you're right LazCo. After all, we're not a fascists and Bolsheviks - we're not gonna say what people should do, they're free, and when none hurt, then it should be considered as positive action. But what I don't like is that 'pushing' element, that some people think that other need to be pushed to help.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

No, f**k it, I've decided I hate it all now and anyone who does the damn challenge should be shot. ;)
Johnny Rev 7.0
Banned

I like your style Paul.
What a season
to be beautiful
without a reason
XidiouX
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Why I am an Ice Bucket Challenge refusenik:

As if it being a pyramid scheme of emotional blackmail wasn't contemptible enough. That's not to say that I don't believe that the cause is worthy. It is, among many. However, I also believe that it is profoundly wrong to publicly pressure someone to contribute from their, in most cases, highly limited resources, to one particular charity, regardless of how they value its cause among the many, and forcing them to make a public spectacle of themselves ('Yes' is bad, 'No' is worse) rather than to allow them to keep their own counsel, and self-respect, in relation to what they might consider to be a rather private matter. Despite the good intentions, I'm quite disgusted by what's being done here.

Like the song goes: "If I were you, I wouldn't try."

XidiouX

* And also, as a fan of John Carpenter's The Thing, I don't trust ice, unless it's of the dry kind.
Last edited by XidiouX on 31 Aug 2014, 01:41, edited 4 times in total.
iesus
Overbomber

lazarus corporation wrote:No, f**k it, I've decided I hate it all now and anyone who does the damn challenge should be shot. ;)
+1
at the spot ;D
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."