"View New Posts" function broken

For you to give feedback to the Heartland moderators. Wish lists, fault reports, etc. You may get an answer, you may not. As in all things, it largely depends on how nicely you ask the people in charge... You're welcome.
VonII
Amphetamine Filth

Since about two weeks when I click "View New Posts" I end up with "No topics or posts met your search criteria", despite there are new posts since my last visit. It worked once just now, so I thought it was fixed, but clicking it again after visiting a thread, it's back to the same error message.

I suppose it's only me, as I couldn't find a thread anywhere mentioning this problem and I'm sure there would have been some who posted about it in the two week period this has been happening.

:?

NOTE: As I tried posting this, it returned an error message saying "Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.". Everytime. :/

EDIT 2: Spamming the submit button made it work after all. Was going to try PM if it didn't work.
I do not necessarily agree with everything I think. -AE
Mav787
One life, all I need

I use it a lot and it seems to work fine for me.

I'd be interested to know how it decides what to show when someone has not been on for a while. Is it all new/updated posts since they last used the function?

Also if the function is used a second time it looks like it only looks back for the last 2 hours, which could be why sometimes it says there are no posts.

If a mod could explain how it works then that would be great.

Thanks
VonII
Amphetamine Filth

Mav787 wrote:I use it a lot and it seems to work fine for me.

I'd be interested to know how it decides what to show when someone has not been on for a while. Is it all new/updated posts since they last used the function?

Also if the function is used a second time it looks like it only looks back for the last 2 hours, which could be why sometimes it says there are no posts.

If a mod could explain how it works then that would be great.

Thanks
Like I said, I suppose it's only on my account. (Tried clearing cache and all other stuff on my side).

If it's the same as vBulletin (which I have some experience on), it's exactly that, every post since the last visit. After a while the counter resets (default time or admin defined), so yeah, after two hours there will be less posts. It just does the same thing again really (Current time - last time visited = all posts in that time span).

Also, could the waiting time for a new search be decreased? I know it's there as a safety and capacity limit, but I'm sure the host can handle a few more searches and I often have to wait. For example: New posts --> Read something in a thread --> search on the forum for something mentioned in the thread. Thanks :)
VonII
Amphetamine Filth

QB, if you fixed it, thanks. If not: mystery!
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

VonII wrote:New Posts function seems fixed, has been working fine for the last few days. :|

QB, if you fixed it, thanks. If not: mystery!
I gave the database a clean and the server a quick reboot yesterday, so I suppose that may have cleared up any old/invalid sessions...? :o

Can't really take the credit, but glad its working for you now :lol: 8)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

We have 3931 registered users
31 spammer registrations in 24 hours :urff:

Think I'll turn it back on, albeit in it's simplest form. That should reduce the number, even if it doesn't prevent it completely. :|
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

5 things I learned by removing the CAPTCHA on the signup page:

#1) we had 31 new signups in 24 hrs, all of them bots

#2) 17/31 new bot signups were from @yahoo.com email addresses

#3) 10/31 new bot signups were from @nokiamail.com email addresses

#4) 24 of the 31 new bot signups confirmed their email address & activated their accounts & could have posted, had I not deleted them

#5) the web is a scary place once you let your guard down
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I think those last two were supposed to be in the CAPCHA thread? :innocent:

By the way, are you sure they were all bots?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

markfiend wrote:I think those last two were supposed to be in the CAPCHA thread? :innocent:

By the way, are you sure they were all bots?
Whoops, yeah.

Yep, all nonsense names in a similar format, and all nonsense email addresses.