CPOB #89743

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Silver_Owl
The Don

rien wrote:
Being645 wrote:cpo, since I can't just go to a café or a pub or a bar right now and have a coffee or a beer with a few friends or among strangers ... and a few cigs.

It never occurred to me like today, that they have simply taken away, stolen my culture and there's no return and no reparation or compensation for it.
I feel entirely bereaved. Beyond comfort and substitution. What a f**k of a life.

:(
I'm sorry if this is an ignorant question, but I'm still relatively new... where are you from/which culture?
Do you mean you can't smoke in pubs anymore? Is that the point?
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
million voices
Slight Overbomber

You will just have to stand outside and freeze your bollocks off like the rest of us have to do
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Hom_Corleone wrote:
rien wrote:
Being645 wrote:cpo, since I can't just go to a café or a pub or a bar right now and have a coffee or a beer with a few friends or among strangers ... and a few cigs.

It never occurred to me like today, that they have simply taken away, stolen my culture and there's no return and no reparation or compensation for it.
I feel entirely bereaved. Beyond comfort and substitution. What a f**k of a life.

:(
I'm sorry if this is an ignorant question, but I'm still relatively new... where are you from/which culture?
Basically yes. In addition to the fact that such places don't even exist anymore.
Where I live, pubs and cafés have been replaced with betting offices and sports cafés with large screens populated with cards playing boys ...
They don't even have pool tables anywhere there. And don't ask for the music ... :( ... feels like a culture eradicated ... :( ...
Silver_Owl
The Don

I suspect it's the same nearly everywhere now. :(
Any establishment with any heart and soul was replaced by plastic wine bars populated by people more interested in how they look than the quality of conversation and environment.
These are sad times. :cry:

There is even a pub with banks of games consoles in in our nearest town.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
rien
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Being645 wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote:
rien wrote: I'm sorry if this is an ignorant question, but I'm still relatively new... where are you from/which culture?
Basically yes. In addition to the fact that such places don't even exist anymore.
Where I live, pubs and cafés have been replaced with betting offices and sports cafés with large screens populated with cards playing boys ...
They don't even have pool tables anywhere there. And don't ask for the music ... :( ... feels like a culture eradicated ... :( ...
Hahaha... I'm sorry, I'm laughing at myself for thinking you were a fugitive from a war zone.

The betting offices and sports cafés are a sad development indeed.

But as for the smoking bans in bars and pubs: I'm so happy they exist. Before that, I couldn't go to places with my mates without my eyes starting to burn and water after about an hour or so. But it's even more ridiculous in Austria anyway. Government was too stupid to place a complete ban, so we had years of half-measures and expensive re-fittings of restaurants, bars etc. with smoking sections... and now they've finally made up their minds and are placing a complete ban, resulting in all these partitions having to be taken down again. Lots of money down the drain.
“Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.�
Silver_Owl
The Don

rien wrote: But as for the smoking bans in bars and pubs: I'm so happy they exist. Before that, I couldn't go to places with my mates without my eyes starting to burn and water after about an hour or so.
I see your point but it would be nice to give people the option somehow. I don't like smoky bars either but it would be nice if bars could chose so people could still smoke somewhere.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

rien wrote: Hahaha... I'm sorry, I'm laughing at myself for thinking you were a fugitive from a war zone.

The betting offices and sports cafés are a sad development indeed.

But as for the smoking bans in bars and pubs: I'm so happy they exist. Before that, I couldn't go to places with my mates without my eyes starting to burn and water after about an hour or so. But it's even more ridiculous in Austria anyway. Government was too stupid to place a complete ban, so we had years of half-measures and expensive re-fittings of restaurants, bars etc. with smoking sections... and now they've finally made up their minds and are placing a complete ban, resulting in all these partitions having to be taken down again. Lots of money down the drain.
War zone ... in a way it is a war ... no a bloody one, of course.

Anyway, it's nice that you can go there now, lean back, relax, have fun.
I cannot. Over. Finish. No place to go. Thanks. Hope you enjoy.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

What has the world come to as we now need Sisters festival gigs to come together, have a couple of drinks and everybody being free to smoke or not smoke whotever they want.
They better do some festival gigs in summer. Some of us want/need their proper dose of smoke ;D
in dub we trust
rien

To be fair, I'd also be happy if the smoking situation could be solved by installing proper ventilation in bars, pubs, clubs... we'd kill two birds with one stone: the smoke doesn't stay around, and neither do all the bad smells people make :lol:
“Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.�
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

paint it black wrote:
rien wrote:
paint it black wrote:a terrible run of jellybeans :cry:

just when i'm gonna give up for the night a nice one comes along and thus starts the vicious cycle once more :oops:
Is that a euphemism of some kind?
nope, in amongst the strawberry, lemon etc.. are coffee and pepper and aniseed :x
yuck - to the light brown ones :evil:
Goths have feelings too
Being645
Wiki Wizard

And off it is, my order for that conference ... :urff: ...
alas, I'll have a quarter bottle of advocaat (and a few cigs) now and start selling a few superfluous things tomorrow... :wink: ...
rien

Male stand-up comedy acquaintance and fellow nerd of mine just revealed himself as sexist scumbag who prefers mansplaining to listening to criticism.
This happens way too often for comfort.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

rien wrote:Male stand-up comedy acquaintance and fellow nerd of mine just revealed himself as sexist scumbag who prefers mansplaining to listening to criticism.
Maybe the imitation parts within your comedy hit a nail with him/them ... :kiss: ...

* Just heard on the radio that the US issued a travel warning for Germany after the Charlie Hebdo attacks ...
Cool, so that's the reason why that lecturer cancelled her appearance and I've lost the job at that conference... :urff: ...

Anyway, the advocaat (and some lovely sounds) worked perfectly in putting the plug back where it belongs ... f**k frustration !!! ... :evil: 8) :twisted: ...
rien

Being645 wrote:
rien wrote:Male stand-up comedy acquaintance and fellow nerd of mine just revealed himself as sexist scumbag who prefers mansplaining to listening to criticism.
Maybe the imitation parts within your comedy hit a nail with him/them ... :kiss: ...

Haha. ;D I wish. Plot twist: He wasn't even present on Sunday.

Sorry to hear about your job/the travel warnings :/
Being645
Wiki Wizard

rien wrote:
Being645 wrote:
Haha. ;D I wish. Plot twist: He wasn't even present on Sunday.

Sorry to hear about your job/the travel warnings :/
Yeah, quite a mess for me. I will survive it, but no spendings for a while, and - as it looks now - not even a short holiday this year, either ...
But who knows. Perhaps there are other jobs to come ...

As to sexist scumbags ... there are clearly far too many of that boring species ... though beyond that part or their attitude, some of them are still nice, kind and useful as long as the distance is ok. I've given up to worry myself by taking a gender-oriented stand towards anyone as far as possible since I'm not interested, anyway, and there's definitely no way to get through with me in that respect. So what... For a comedian things look different, of course ... there's an audience to entertain, and gender relations are a potential playground, but still ... one can easily overdo it slipping into sort of "genre" ... :wink: ...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Yeah like I said on twitter, it's often safer to assume the worst of any given person.

And I'm a bit drunk, so I hope that what I said on there couldn't be construed as inapproprate?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
rien

markfiend wrote:
Yeah like I said on twitter, it's often safer to assume the worst of any given person.

And I'm a bit drunk, so I hope that what I said on there couldn't be construed as inapproprate?
The problem is just, if I did that, I'd have to either a) go on a killing spree or b) kill myself because roughly 95% of the things* I love are made by men. Also conversation and potential partners and all that.
*literally things, before someone jumps in and says "but we all came out out women except for a few people who might have come out of transgender men"

Not at all! I'd only realised afterwards that my observation must have been a huge compliment in the light of "everyone sucks", and then I got flustered because I'm weird sometimes. S'all good.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Right, cool. I was worried I'd made you uncomfortable. We're all good.

I know what you mean about the downside to misanthropy though. :|
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
rien

Twitter has locked me out of my own account because "it was exhibiting automated behaviour". I haven't done anything! :evil: :evil: :evil:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Harrumph. Twitter is strangely efficient at blocking accounts... except the accounts it should be blocking. :|
—Bertrand Russell
rien

markfiend wrote:Harrumph. Twitter is strangely efficient at blocking accounts... except the accounts it should be blocking. :|
Luckily, so far all the accounts I have asked it to block have stayed blocked... but a lot of genuine accounts got locked yesterday, as other ppl have been complaining... ah well, it's all resolved now.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

...the fact that it's colder here right now than it is in Siberia. :eek:
I'm so f*cking done with winter. :evil:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

i've been cleaning ALL DAY. on my half term.
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
sultan2075
Overbomber

A massive hard drive crash on my 8-year-old Mac. On the up side, it is compelling me to purchase a new computer. On the downside I'm snowed in tomorrow and won't be able to work from home. On the up side I have a fridge full of beer and a fine collection of whisky.

Wait, what was the downside again?
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

SINsister wrote:...the fact that it's colder here right now than it is in Siberia. :eek:
I'm so f*cking done with winter. :evil:
Warm hugs from here ... :kiss: ...

I know how it feels. Last year the f**king winter greyness didn't stop here before MAY ... :evil: :evil: :evil: ... such conditions make me aggressive ... :twisted: :twisted::twisted: ...

Fortunately, it looks better this year ...